Notices

2004 955 Cayenne fuel tank will not accept above 5/8 tank

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2023, 04:57 PM
Depreciated
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 955 Cayenne fuel tank will not accept above 5/8 tank

I have an 04 955 Cayenne S. When I fill it up I cannot get above 5/8 tank without it shutting off. The gauge operates normally, indicating when fuel is low with the warning, so it appears to be functional in that respect. I have experienced issues like this in the past with other cars, so looking for ideas.

Old 11-02-2023, 04:19 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,453 Likes on 4,114 Posts

Flip the fill nozzle from the pump upside down when you're filling it up and see if that doesn't help?
Old 11-02-2023, 04:22 PM
Depreciated
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Petza914
Flip the fill nozzle from the pump upside down when you're filling it up and see if that doesn't help?
I'll try that today, it's due to be filled. It would be nice if it were that easy.
Old 11-03-2023, 05:01 AM
Depreciated
Rennlist Member

Big nope.

i guess it’s time to check the senders.

How do the two interact? Is one high level, the other low? Combined resistances to the gauge? What’s the deal?
Old 11-03-2023, 08:41 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,453 Likes on 4,114 Posts

Originally Posted by Depreciated
Big nope.

i guess it’s time to check the senders.

How do the two interact? Is one high level, the other low? Combined resistances to the gauge? What’s the deal?
Can't see how the sendwrs would cause the nozzle to shut off. Sounds like you have a tank venting issue. Does it cut off no matter how slowly you fill it?
Old 11-03-2023, 05:45 PM
Depreciated
Rennlist Member

Can't see how the sendwrs would cause the nozzle to shut off. Sounds like you have a tank venting issue. Does it cut off no matter how slowly you fill it?
I'm aware the senders won't shut off the nozzle. It doesn't matter if it's slow or fast, it's full.

The tank is full, the gauge reads 5/8 full. The gauge falls as it should as I drive, when I consume half a tank it drops down to 1/8. It is inaccurate, it should read full when it's full.

So there's 2 senders, how do they interact? If one fails, can it cause the gauge to read this way?

Someone indicated there's a high level and low level sender. If the low has a sunken float it could in theory read 5/8 when full if they function as this person assumes. Of course there's no documentation to support from this person, so it's just their speculation.
Old 11-06-2023, 09:45 AM
charsiuboar
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

Unclear if the issue I faced is directly related to yours but when I had my original fuel pumps replaced (at 165k miles!) the hoses tangled the fuel level float and I was unable to fill up to 4/4 as well.

Perhaps it’s gotten tangled?
Old 11-06-2023, 12:09 PM
Depreciated
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by charsiuboar
Unclear if the issue I faced is directly related to yours but when I had my original fuel pumps replaced (at 165k miles!) the hoses tangled the fuel level float and I was unable to fill up to 4/4 as well.

Perhaps it’s gotten tangled?
I’m going to pop the covers off next week and see what’s going on. I don’t know the history of this one, so maybe a pump replacement did tangle things up. Seems like that’s a common issue.

I am traveling this week and weekend, so I’ll have to wait to get into it.

Quick Reply: 2004 955 Cayenne fuel tank will not accept above 5/8 tank