Notices

Replacing serpentine belt and tensioner

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2023, 04:48 PM
dkarmol
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Replacing serpentine belt and tensioner

I just replaced the serpentine belt and tensioner on my 06 base 6MT 955.

Bought a Continental belt, INA tensioner from Rock Auto (same brand parts but about $50 cheaper than Pelican, btw).... and it took only about two hours.
The job is made easier because the tensioner is designed with a bolt that you screw down to relieve the tension. There was no bolt in the old tensioner, but the new one had one. Unscrew that bolt from new tensioner, insert in hole in the old one (with some WD40) and screw down until the belt is loose enought to remove. Bolt on tensioner was a 13mm.

The only hard part was searching for the wrench that fits the three bolts holding the tensioner to the block. They are "innies" that take a number 8 hex or Allen wrench.
Once found, and the bolts sprayed generously with bolt loosening spray, the job is pretty straightforward.

Loosen the belt, using the bolt in the tensioner, and remove. Take a picture first, and pay attention to the routing of the belt... it's not exactly intuitive.

Then remove the tensioner, put on the new one, replace the belt, and you are good to go.

Saved about $200-300 by doing this job myself, over my indy shop.
Old 09-02-2023, 02:29 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,453 Likes on 4,114 Posts

Good job, and thanks for the tips

Quick Reply: Replacing serpentine belt and tensioner