Notices

06 Cayenne brake pulsation

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2023, 12:17 PM
bhauptgt3
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 Cayenne brake pulsation

I need front brake rotors again on my Cayenne, they are pulsating after only 5K miles although I did make 1 hard panic stop where they really started getting bad. I purchased them from a good vendor Northside auto before they stopped selling to individuals and I believe they were Powerstop brand.
I noticed on other forums most prefer either Zimmerman or Brembo rotors, I would like to hear what others recommend on this vehicle and suggestions on who to purchase from?
Old 05-17-2023, 12:55 PM
theprf
Race Car

Received 1,775 Likes on 1,130 Posts

I have no comment on the rotor choices except that I have used Zimmerman rotors on my VW's and they have worked well.
I do have a comment on the low mileage between rotor problems. I would check the calipers to see if there is a seized piston, as that will quickly overheat the rotors. These calipers are getting old and if the brake fluid wasn't flushed regularly the aluminum bores corrode. The weather seals really are not all that great either.
Old 05-17-2023, 04:54 PM
bhauptgt3
4th Gear

Originally Posted by theprf
I have no comment on the rotor choices except that I have used Zimmerman rotors on my VW's and they have worked well.
I do have a comment on the low mileage between rotor problems. I would check the calipers to see if there is a seized piston, as that will quickly overheat the rotors. These calipers are getting old and if the brake fluid wasn't flushed regularly the aluminum bores corrode. The weather seals really are not all that great either.
I did that initially which was over a year ago and they were ok but, it can't hurt to check again.
Old 05-18-2023, 11:51 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,453 Likes on 4,114 Posts

Honestly, brake rotors very rarely warp, and won't from a single panic stop as that doesn't get them hot enough. What you have is uneven brake pad material embedded into the metal rotor surface at a microscopic level. What gives brakes their high initial bite is the pad material on the pads mating with the pad material in the metal of the rotor and why when rotors are brand new it's so important to do a proper pad bedding procedure. If this isn't done and the pads and rotors not mated properly, you get uneven deposits on the rotor surface and as the rotor rotates through the pads, the high spots grab with more friction and the lower spots where isn't pad material don't. So as the rotor rotates, it's grab, release, grab, release, grab, release, and has the same feel as a warped rotor.

The solution is to remove the wheels, get a scotchbrite pad or roloc pad kit for your drill, and a can of red (not green) brake cleaner. You need to thoroughly scrub and clean both sides of the rotor to remove all the pad deposits, then put the wheels back on and do a proper bedding process. This consists of doing progressively harder stops from 60 mph with more pedal pressure each time, but never come to a full stop, just drop down to 15-20 mph each time. After the last one which will be about 80% braking force, drive back home without stopping and using the brakes as little as possible. Do not set a parking brake when you get home and let the rotors fully cool down.

The next time you drive the car, you can brake however you want and the brake shudder should be gone.
Old 05-18-2023, 12:55 PM
bhauptgt3
4th Gear

I have my doubts but, I will try it anyway and see what happens. Thank you.

Quick Reply: 06 Cayenne brake pulsation