Notices
DIY - 991 DIY info for the 991

991.2 Oil Change Procedure (with photos)

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2021 | 08:04 PM
Zylinderkopfdichtung
Rennlist Member

Today I changed the oil on my new-to-me Carrera T. It had only 1006 miles on the dealer-filled Mobil 1 0W40, and only 5735 miles on the engine, but changed it anyway as I want to do a UOA to start the engine’s documentation, as well as just to get to know the car.

I followed the procedure outlined in the original post (thanks!). My experience:
  1. Backed the car on to ramps given that the oil drain is in the front of the oil pan.
  2. I used an Assenmacher VW10549 oil drain plug tool (Amazon) to remove the drain plug. Sure, you can use a screwdriver, but I’m pretty OCD.
  3. I used a Schwaben 36mm low profile 6-pt socket (Pelican Parts) on the filter cap. I expected the clearances to be tighter and bought the low profile socket for that reason. A regular socket would have been fine, but as I didn’t have a 36mm anyway, no regrets.
  4. I let the car sit on the ramps and drain for 3-4 hours. There was no dribble when I reinstalled a new drain plug (Suncoast).
  5. I used OEM Mahle filter and o-ring (Suncoast)
  6. The 25Nm (~19ft-lb) torque rating for the oil filter cap proved a challenge. I have a <200in-lb torque wrench, and a >50fl-lb torque wrench. Excited to buy a new tool, I tried to find a matching Craftsman torque wrench that can handle 10-20ft-lbs. It looks like Craftman doesn’t make one. I ended up buying two new Tekton torque wrenches and have sent my 26 year old (and probably no longer accurate) Craftsman to backup duty.
  7. I filled it with 8 liters Motul 8100 X-cess Gen2 5W40 (Walmart).
  8. I drove the car a few miles, warmed the oil to ~200F, and the oil measurement was exactly at ‘max’ which is where it was before the oil change.
  9. The next day I drove it a bit and the oil measurement was one tick above ‘min’. I added a full liter, for a total of 9 liters, to get it to:

Last edited by Zylinderkopfdichtung; 03-02-2021 at 01:24 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Zylinderkopfdichtung:
981KMAN (06-05-2021), Carlo_Carrera (02-27-2021), Tier1Terrier (02-27-2021)
Old 02-28-2021 | 11:14 PM
Old Guy
Rennlist Member

0-50? 5w40? Not 0-40?? Your Porsche doesn't have a BIG decal promoting Mobil 1 oil??
Old 02-28-2021 | 11:20 PM
Zylinderkopfdichtung
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Old Guy
0-50? 5w40? Not 0-40?? Your Porsche doesn't have a BIG decal promoting Mobil 1 oil??
"Promoting" is the operative word. That decal is paid for by ExxonMobil.

Last edited by Zylinderkopfdichtung; 03-01-2021 at 12:31 PM.
Old 04-17-2021 | 01:18 AM
Tier1Terrier
Rennlist Member

Just completed my first oil change tonight on a 991.2 with 8000 miles and two prior oil services since placed into service over 4 years ago. After 9.3 quarts added, I’m still little shy of the max file line. My car had the rear end lifted on 3” ramps which may have contributed. I’m going to drive it a bit to see how those number change.
Old 05-02-2021 | 02:59 PM
Mark Budreau
Rennlist Member

Default Great job!!

Thanks for the easy to follow steps. Nicely documented my friend.
Old 06-05-2021 | 12:40 PM
shockedcape
Advanced

Just attempting this now and had a question. I've drained the oil, was about to change the filter but through stupidity have managed to damage the new filter. So my question is, can I change the oil, i.e., put oil plug back and fill with new oil, and change the filter tomorrow once I can go buy a new one? Or will I need to redrain all the oil all over again? Should I just leave the oil empty until I change the filter tomorrow?
Old 06-05-2021 | 01:37 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by shockedcape
Just attempting this now and had a question. I've drained the oil, was about to change the filter but through stupidity have managed to damage the new filter. So my question is, can I change the oil, i.e., put oil plug back and fill with new oil, and change the filter tomorrow once I can go buy a new one? Or will I need to redrain all the oil all over again? Should I just leave the oil empty until I change the filter tomorrow?
You can the old filter back in. No auto parts stores carry the Mahle filter? They are the OEM manufacturer. No Porsche dealer local to you?
Old 06-05-2021 | 02:02 PM
Rich_Jenkins
Rennlist Member

Just to be clear, you want to button the car up and drive it?

Sure, you can put the old filter in and drive it. Then replace the filter when you get another one. How you feel about that probably depends on how OCD you are about new oil swimming through an old filter. I'm pretty fastidious about oil changes, and I would not be able to sleep at night if I did that lol.

But if you mean, can you just leave the car without the filter in it for a while, sure. In that case, I'd bung it up, dump in the amount of oil I planned to, and loosely cover the filter body with the (empty) filter cap. Then go get the new filter the next day, and finish the job up.
Old 06-05-2021 | 03:34 PM
barncobob
Rennlist Member

how do you bung it up unless U didnt have it seated properly
Old 06-05-2021 | 04:21 PM
Tier1Terrier
Rennlist Member

I’m with @Rich_Jenkins above on this. Curious how many miles and what kind of driving are on the current filter. I do mine every 3-5k miles but technically you could go out as far as 10k within spec. So if you’ve only got a few thousand miles with non-track driving, you’d be ok till next oil change with the same filter.
Old 06-05-2021 | 04:31 PM
JW911
Three Wheelin'

Guys he is clearly just asking if he can let it sit with new oil in it until tomorrow sans filter while he goes and gets a new filter tomorrow to complete the job. (Obviously driving a different vehicle). The answer is yes. Relax and enjoy the day and deal with the filter tomorrow.

I had a similar problem the other day with my Audi. Supplier sent me the wrong filter which I didn't realize until I opened the box at the final stage of the job. Super frustrating!
Old 06-05-2021 | 06:01 PM
shockedcape
Advanced

What do you guys do with your oily paper towels etc? I spilled some oil so have some paper towels covered in oil. I washed them with the hose but they still reek of oil.....Tried to take them to autozone but they wouldn't take them.
Old 06-05-2021 | 07:35 PM
Rich_Jenkins
Rennlist Member

What do you guys do with your oily paper towels etc? I spilled some oil so have some paper towels covered in oil. I washed them with the hose but they still reek of oil.....Tried to take them to autozone but they wouldn't take them.
Bagged up and taken to approved oil reclamation facility waste area in my county.
Old 06-27-2021 | 09:02 PM
Carl Over
Instructor

Can someone confirm that it is normal that the upper right forward portion of upper air box is missing a corner? It kind of looks like the corner is broken off. This photo is from the original posting. We remove the inverted Y showed air inlet and this piece mates with the upper air box cover.

Thanks

Old 06-27-2021 | 09:29 PM
Tier1Terrier
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carl Over
Can someone confirm that it is normal that the upper right forward portion of upper air box is missing a corner? It kind of looks like the corner is broken off. This photo is from the original posting. We remove the inverted Y showed air inlet and this piece mates with the upper air box cover.

Thanks

i snagged this image from a DIY video I took recently detailing the air filter change and it looks the same on mine.

Quick Reply: 991.2 Oil Change Procedure (with photos)