Notices

Garmin VIRB Ultra 30 vs Waylens

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2017, 08:52 PM
Marc
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Garmin VIRB Ultra 30 vs Waylens

Reaching out to the community who might have had an opportunity to compare the Garmin Virb ultra 30 to the Waylens.

What has been your experience and would be your recommendations for either of these systems?

Thank you
Old 06-24-2017, 10:20 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 940 Likes on 544 Posts

Interest to see Waylens feedback.
Old 06-25-2017, 04:38 PM
SamG
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Here is a video from my Waylens that I recorded at Laguna Seca on Friday. First time at the track in my 'RS and first time with Speed Ventures so I got to be in the Beginners run group (I'm making excuses for being so slow and not hitting any apexes!)

Anyway as you can see video is a bit shaky probably due to their glass mount (no other mounting choice) or maybe I just didn't have it right. It's not a suction mount really. Lap timer is a recent feature that has been added and like most everything else with the system, instructions are very minimal. No phone support that I've been able to find. You have to email your questions in then wait for a reply which usually is within a day or two. A bluetooth dongle plugs into the OBD port that pairs with the camera to supply RPM's, not sure if speed is through OBD or camera's GPS and other sensors. Really wish it would show gear selection.

Hopefully this link will work, I haven't posted one before
Old 06-25-2017, 08:05 PM
Marc
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sam,

Thank you for sharing, the link to the video did work.

I have heard about Waylens mounts being shaky. Any idea if they will come up with a satisfying solution?

Please keep us posted

Cheers
Old 08-22-2017, 10:15 PM
SamG
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Update on Waylens. They have supposedly added many track maps (including MRLS) to the Waylens camera which should make the camera start timing laps without manually triggering it (while driving) at the start of each session.

I uploaded newest firmware into my camera and phone app prior to going to Laguna yesterday but was unable to get it to function at all. I did manage to have it record a single 30 min run session but no timed laps. Unfortunately the phone app control of the camera appears rather limited. You have to set most of the functions via the rear 1" diameter touch screen that has mostly icons rather than written instructions. And, these icons have changed with the last upgrade so not much looks familiar.

The mounting situation has not changed. The camera relies on some type of sticky silicon membrane rather than suction. It is a proprietary mount and many users are complaining that it doesn't hold the camera on in hot weather. Mine has fallen off in my garage that never gets over 85. I did clean the membrane with warm soapy water per Waylens (minimal) support on their blog and it has stayed attached since. The camera is pretty well supported and wobble free if mounted correctly. They have mentioned working on an alternative mount but nothing so far.

They have also added the ability to have a custom track map with a different start and stop location for timing autocross, hill climbs etc. Again with no instructions from them the users is on his own to figure out how to make it work.

Would I buy another one or recommend one for lap timing? Only if and when they find time to write easy to follow directions and make primary control via the phone app rather than the camera display.

Quick Reply: Garmin VIRB Ultra 30 vs Waylens