Notices

AIM Solo DL in a '95 993?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2017, 11:40 AM
Handlebar
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default AIM Solo DL in a '95 993?

A friend is offering a sweet deal on his Solo DL, but my 993 is pre-OBD II. I am an avid HPDE driver and just starting to get more serious about the data side, beyond lap times and very basic Harry's overviews.

What would I have to do to be able to capture data on my throttle input/RPM or my braking? Is there other data that I should consider first?
Old 08-22-2017, 12:06 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

A Solo DL will not connect to your 993 or accept external sensors. If it's a good deal, it's a great spot to start though. You'll get all the gps measures.

If you want things like rpm, tps, brake pressure, or other similar measures, then you need something like an Evo4s, Evo5, Mxl2, MXS, or MXG. I would suggest looking at the Evo4s based on price, inputs, and being rhe least intrusive to your car.

Let me know if you want more info or need help making a decision (new system or used). I'm an AiM dealer, offer Rennlist discounts, and like helping Rennlisters and PCA members.
Old 08-22-2017, 01:51 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,836 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Originally Posted by Handlebar
A friend is offering a sweet deal on his Solo DL, but my 993 is pre-OBD II. I am an avid HPDE driver and just starting to get more serious about the data side, beyond lap times and very basic Harry's overviews.

What would I have to do to be able to capture data on my throttle input/RPM or my braking? Is there other data that I should consider first?
I think the Solo DL is a great entree into introductory analysis, and ideal for your needs at this time. The reason why I like the Solo DL is because it's expandable for use with the SmartyCam or SmartyCam HD. Even without throttle position or engine RPM, the combination of the Solo DL and SmartyCam HD has proven to be bulletproof, fully automated and a very simple solution to provide valuable data and "intelligent video," video with information already on it, right away.

I used to be of like mind as Matt, thinking it was mandatory to have that information. I have sold a TON of EVO4's and other loggers for non-OBD-II or CAN equipped historic cars, because that is what I thought people needed and it was what I wanted and needed. I have an EVO5 in my car now. Not sure that everyone needs that, now.

But I have sold nearly a hundred Solo DL/SmartyCam combos to people who have no connection other than switched power to automatically turn it on and off to people who are running older cars, or ChumpCar, Lemons, AER and WRL. No RPM, no throttle, no brake, but they love it and get good use and information out of it. Even I can get good info out of it, for coaching and self coaching purposes.

People get tons of useful information (g's to show acceleration and braking efficacy, speed to judge entry, apex and exit, lap times, best lap time and lap number, day and date) in the Solo DL, even predictive lap timing on the display. Most all this information is available on video, with a connected SmartyCam.

I would definitely consider beginning your more erstwhile journey with that friend's Solo DL. Then, if you want, add a camera.

Be glad to help! I'm a pretty big dealer and can supply accessories and advice for your new purchase.

For those interested, I still have a few used Solo DL/SmartyCam HD Rev1's combinations fully updated, tested and available for less than the price of a new SmartyCam HD GP!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 08-22-2017, 02:00 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
I used to be of like mind as Matt, thinking it was mandatory to have that information.
Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
A Solo DL will not connect to your 993 or accept external sensors. If it's a good deal, it's a great spot to start though. You'll get all the gps measures.

The base measures out of a Solo or Solo DL will get you about 80% of the way to a full data system (IMHO). It's a great starting point and finishing point for lots of people.
Old 08-23-2017, 11:40 PM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 243 Likes on 172 Posts

97' 993 - I went MXL2 / EVO4. For throttle need string sensor. For brake pressure need to splice in pressure sensor before ABS. Tach can be spliced off of dash feed, gear position needs to be a calc and is not always correct. Plan on SmartyCamHD and external GPS antenna. Fittings for brake line splice / tee will be tricky.
Old 08-24-2017, 08:16 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,836 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Originally Posted by Kein_Ersatz
97' 993 - I went MXL2 / EVO4.
Quick question. The MXL2 is a complete, all in one display logger. Everything in one package and generally used to replace instrument cluster gauges (because its size usually covers them). The EVO4 (now the EVO4S) is a much smaller logger only, which a lot of folks prefer so they can use their original gauges for checking vehicle health. I suppose you could be redundant and use both! Which one are you using?

Quick Reply: AIM Solo DL in a '95 993?