987.1 with Racecapture Pro 3

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 03:45 PM
Syeo86
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 987.1 with Racecapture Pro 3

Hello,

I rarely post on Rennlist, but it appears there are a few more data nerds here than on Planet 9. I figured I'd start a thread to document my progress with the RCP3.

I have a 987.1 that I autocross regularly. In the last year, I've been toying with the idea of getting a data acquisition solution. I looked at all the available system, and decided to support Brent over at Autosport Labs.

I've already received my RCP3, and in the last week or so have made some progress mapping the CAN BUS.

This is what I have gathered thus far:

Throttle, RPM, Engine Temp, Oil Temp

Throttle
ID: 578 Offset: 5 Length: 1 Formula: *100/255+0

RPM
ID: 578 Offset: 3 Length: 2 Formula: *.25/1+30

Engine Temp
ID: 581 Offset: 4 Length: 1 Formula: *.75/1-48

Oil Temp
ID: 1089 Offset: 1 Length: 1 Formula: *.75/1-48

I've identified what I believe to be the steering angle, but I haven't gotten around to figuring out the formula to decode it. However, Brent @ Autosports Labs has been very helpful.

This past weekend, I took a little break from all the packet filtering to finalize the mounting of the RCP3. I have the unit mounted under the driver seats. The car has a stock interior, and although I'd love to have it dead center on the axis of rotation it just is not feasible. Under the driver seat will do for now.

I've also ordered up a pressure sender, and will be using the oil galley port on the driver side of the engine below the fuel rail. If things go well, I should have oil pressure tied into the system in the next week after that I'll turn my attention to the brake pressure sender.

I'll update this thread as I make progress on the system, and post any of the can information I resolve.
Old 04-25-2017, 03:54 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

Nice job on the CAN sniffing. I'll be watching your progress!
Old 04-25-2017, 06:17 PM
Syeo86
Advanced

Thanks!

After steering angle, I think I'll work on wheel speeds.

I'm not entirely sure what is available on the car, and what is not. But I should have everything I want: throttle, coolant, oil temp, oil pressure, brake pressure, and steering. After that, it is just mapping for fun and the benefit of others. Probably at a very leisure rate as well
Old 04-26-2017, 04:52 PM
Syeo86
Advanced

Turns out some off the data indicates the rate at which the wheel is turning. I think.

But in any case I think I may have made some headway. The last column predicts steering angle from offset 0 and 1. I'll finish the Lua script and test.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...t?usp=drivesdk
Old 04-28-2017, 02:10 AM
Syeo86
Advanced

Steering has been finished. The values match up while the car is sitting still. I haven't driven it yet. The engine cover is off, and I'm halfway done with the oil pressure sender installation.

I hope the have the oil pressure stuff done by Saturday.

Here is the script for the Steering Angle:
function onTick(50)
getSteering(1)
end

steerId = addChannel("Steering", 25, 0, -450, 450, "Deg.")

function getSteering(chan)
id, ext, data = rxCAN(chan,100)
if id == 194 then
processSteering(data)
end
end

function processSteering(data)
local steer = 0
if data[2] <= 128 then
steer = -1*((data[2]*256)+data[1])
else
steer = (((data[2]-128)*256)+data[1])
end
setChannel(steerId, (steer*.0436))
end

Last edited by Syeo86; 05-05-2017 at 02:23 AM. Reason: Update multiplier for steering channel
Old 05-05-2017, 02:28 AM
Syeo86
Advanced

A little more progress to report.

The car has an oil pressure sender now. The RCP3 has been configured and is pick up data from the sender accordingly. I'm still pondering the brake pressure sender.

For the most part I have what I want.

I've switched focus to working on scripting the datalogger for certain functions. Tonight I worked on the GoPro functions. Its not done yet, but the RCP3 will now turn on the GoPro when the car turns on, and configure my GoPro settings automatically. IE: If I've used the GoPro for anything else, as soon as the RCP3 connects to the GoPro it reconfigures the GoPro to video mode, sets my resolution, sets my field of view, and sets the orientation.

Here is a quick video demonstrating the script. Note the settings on the GoPro before I turn it off, then turn ignition on to power the RCP3.

I plan on polishing this script up this weekend. Maybe I can even get the RCP3 to turn off the GoPro when I turn the car off...maybe!

After that, I'll work on the script that calculates which gear I'm in.
Old 08-30-2017, 03:02 PM
Syeo86
Advanced

Quick update-

I'm having a few issues with the RPC updating steering angle slowly. The can bus data is there, but for whatever reason the GUI is slow to respond. Hopefully the RCP guys can figure out what is going on.

Also, shout out to a L8APX on Planet 9, he brought my attention back to this project. I forgot that I had left the steering angle unaddressed. He also pointed out the brake pressure is available on the 987.1 cars too!!

Can ID 1099
Byte 0

Current scaling is unknown. TBD
Old 08-30-2017, 03:36 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,849 Likes on 1,676 Posts

Great work! The throttle, RPM, brake pressure and steering are most helpful for driver development!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 09-07-2017, 08:00 PM
Jabs1542
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 86 Posts

If you haven't figured this out already you want the GoPro on external power. Leaving wifi on will chew through your battery, don't ask me how I know
Old 10-13-2017, 12:47 PM
Syeo86
Advanced

Thanks Jay!

I have a Hero 3, and quality battery packs are cheap now. I think Anker sells replacements for $8 on amazon. The GoPro batteries were crap, expensive, and never lasted.

If the Anker units are the same, at least they are 1/4th the cost!

I also use the charging port for a external mic hook up, so it is unavailable while driving.
Old 10-15-2017, 01:32 PM
Brian C in Az
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking at their website, it appears the unit does not include a dash display. You use your phone or tablet as the dash?
Old 10-15-2017, 02:59 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,849 Likes on 1,676 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian C in Az
Looking at their website, it appears the unit does not include a dash display. You use your phone or tablet as the dash?
correct.

Quick Reply: 987.1 with Racecapture Pro 3