Pro

Received 61 Likes on 16 Posts
Default AiM ECU Bridge CAN + MoTeC C125 + 996 Configuration

Looking for some troubleshooting help on my race car setup:

- MoTeC C125 w/ boost and oil sensors
- AiM ECU Bridge CAN
- AiM SmartyCam v2
- 01' 996 Turbo w/ stock ECU and dash gauge cluster has been removed

The main issue I'm facing at the moment is that the RPMs are not showing on the video display while using the SmartyCam. No issues with the MoTeC C125 display while driving so I'm guessing it's related to the AiM ECU Bridge CAN configuration. The shop that did the initial setup selected the BOSCH 996 ECU from the AiM configuration picklist.

I have a track day next week and don't have time to tow it back there so looking for some help here. If you have a similar setup, it would be great to see your AiM configuration file or a screenshot of the settings. Thanks in advance!

Cheers,

Scott
Old 09-13-2017, 09:44 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,340 Likes on 1,895 Posts

Originally Posted by Scawt
Looking for some troubleshooting help on my race car setup:

- MoTeC C125 w/ boost and oil sensors
- AiM ECU Bridge CAN
- AiM SmartyCam v2
- 01' 996 Turbo w/ stock ECU and dash gauge cluster has been removed

The main issue I'm facing at the moment is that the RPMs are not showing on the video display while using the SmartyCam. No issues with the MoTeC C125 display while driving so I'm guessing it's related to the AiM ECU Bridge CAN configuration. The shop that did the initial setup selected the BOSCH 996 ECU from the AiM configuration picklist.

I have a track day next week and don't have time to tow it back there so looking for some help here. If you have a similar setup, it would be great to see your AiM configuration file or a screenshot of the settings. Thanks in advance!

Cheers,

Scott
So, the 996 config for the ECU Bridge will NOT work, when connected to the ECU CAN, on pre-2002 model year cars, AFAIK. This connection would have nothing to do with the C125 MoTeC display/logger, with this configuration. http://www.aim-sportline.com/downloa...-2_101_eng.pdf

You could conceivably use OBDII or ISO 9141/2 CAN, but this would NOT work very well (not updated quickly enough). Might look ok on the SmartyCam gauges (RPM, TPS and ECT), but there would be BIG lag and latency.

Best bet is to set up the ECU Bridge for MoTeC VCS_Compound Transmit protocol and make a direct connection to the C125, but then you will need to add the VCS_Compound Transmit config to the CAN out in the C125 configuration. http://www.aim-sportline.com/downloa...0k_101_eng.pdf

In every case, you will need a GPS-08B antenna (four-pin, for the SCHD) to get speed, lap times, track map and lap count on the video, whatever your connection to the car is, either MoTeC or Bosch ECU. John Reed might be a good local resource to you.

Last edited by ProCoach; 09-14-2017 at 03:19 AM.
Old 09-14-2017, 01:30 AM
Scott.
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks for the quick reply! I forgot to mention that I have the GPS antennas wired for both the SmartyCam and MoTeC.
Old 09-14-2017, 03:18 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Where is the ECU Bridge connected to?
Old 10-18-2017, 06:25 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 975 Likes on 535 Posts

I am planning to do almost the same combo as the OP, except I have the Motec CDL3 track kit with Motec 10 Hz GPS. Wondering does anyone know if a separate AIM GPS is required for the AIM Smartycam and AIM ECU bridge, or the Motec GPS data will be read by the ECU bridge along with the other Motec data?

Thank you in advance.

TPC Racing stats:
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup Am Champion
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge GT4 Pro-Am Team Champion
2022 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup & 991 Cup Champion
2020 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2018 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2016 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2013 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2006 Rolex-24 @ Daytona GT Champion
2004 Grand-Am SGS Class Champion

Old 10-18-2017, 07:14 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Tom-TPC Racing
I am planning to do almost the same combo as the OP, except I have the Motec CDL3 track kit with Motec 10 Hz GPS. Wondering does anyone know if a separate AIM GPS is required for the AIM Smartycam and AIM ECU bridge, or the Motec GPS data will be read by the ECU bridge along with the other Motec data?

Thank you in advance.
A separate GPS-08B antenna IS required for the SmartyCam SCHD with a CDL3 Track Kit and a GPS-L10 to show lap times, lap count, speed and track map on the SCHD.

The ECU Bridge takes the output of the CDL3, MoTeC's VCS_Compound_Transmit protocol channels and sends them to the AiM SmartyCam.

GPS measures and GPS speed are not included in the output of the Dash. But throttle position, RPM, brake pressure and some others are and that is used to put information on the background of the video.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 10-18-2017, 07:42 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 975 Likes on 535 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
A separate GPS-08B antenna IS required for the SmartyCam SCHD with a CDL3 Track Kit and a GPS-L10 to show lap times, lap count, speed and track map on the SCHD.

The ECU Bridge takes the output of the CDL3, MoTeC's VCS_Compound_Transmit protocol channels and sends them to the AiM SmartyCam.

GPS measures and GPS speed are not included in the output of the Dash. But throttle position, RPM, brake pressure and some others are and that is used to put information on the background of the video.
Thank you very much Sir! That is exactly the answer I needed without having to find out myself the hard way. Cheers!

Quick Reply: AiM ECU Bridge CAN + MoTeC C125 + 996 Configuration