AiM $100 IR Tire Temps! For Sale now!

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 12:30 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,836 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
Matt - many thanks for posting this. In my quest to further develop my car, it would be very important for me to get the temps across the tires but there is a limit to what I can fit in the front wheel well. It's already pretty tight in there. Let me do some more research....
Frank, there are multi channel sensors in a single housing that can work through an aperture which might work better for your purposes.

Sorry, Matt. Thanks for having my post removed.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 02-24-2017, 01:50 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 494 Posts

I looked at the Izzy sensors before but it just gets too expensive for my application at $300 a sensor. Maybe a single sensor at each wheel plus track temp would already get me most of what I would want to get started.
Old 02-24-2017, 02:37 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
I looked at the Izzy sensors before but it just gets too expensive for my application at $300 a sensor. Maybe a single sensor at each wheel plus track temp would already get me most of what I would want to get started.
Without knowing your setup, I don't think the Izze sensors would work for you. They are CAN based, so if you are using the CAN connection to the ECU in your car, you can't use the Izze.

Single sensors on the wheels will give you a lot of data and you can always expand it later if need be. If you want to see some data from this sort of setup, let me know and I can send you some to play with.
Old 02-24-2017, 03:03 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 494 Posts

Matt - please send me what you have in terms of sample data. Sent you another PM.
Old 03-05-2017, 07:23 PM
stujelly
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
I know I've shared this sort of data before, but here is another look of the kind of information you can get from these sensors.
first of all this is am amazing thread. Thanks for posting this.

I do have another dumb question.

Is the idea that you want the surface temperature of the tire the same across all 3 sensors??

So the right rear in this example would need some pressure adjusted or a suspension adjustment??
Old 03-05-2017, 07:33 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by stujelly
first of all this is am amazing thread. Thanks for posting this.

I do have another dumb question.

Is the idea that you want the surface temperature of the tire the same across all 3 sensors??

So the right rear in this example would need some pressure adjusted or a suspension adjustment??
Please ask any and all questions.

The plan is always even Temps, regardless of how you measure them. You also want to make sure the front to tear Temps arw in the tight operating range and don't show any chassis balance issues. You also want to make sure the Temps are in the best operating Temps for you tires.

On my car the suspension geometry of the rear tires in droop is terrible, so the Temps go really bad.
Old 06-12-2017, 03:32 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I thought I would give this thread a quick bump. For anyone that wants to really set up their car, has trouble getting help recording temps, or wants to really learn about tires, this is a great way.
Old 06-12-2017, 07:29 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Agree with Matt. I think a lot of people fight balance issues that information collected by these sensors could validate, and therefore guide setup to fix them.
Old 06-12-2017, 09:00 PM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Matt, curious if you made any changes to you car based on tire temps
Old 06-12-2017, 09:22 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by amso3
Based on Matt's comments, I would think droop limiting the rear would help!
Old 06-12-2017, 09:53 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I have made car and driver changes. No droop limiting - yet. The last time I did that on a car it didn't end so well...

The chassis part has been very interesting, with tire pressures, alignment, and shock changes. What has been equally, if not more interesting, is learning tire behavior. Different tires perform so different in what it takes to get them to the operating temp, how long it takes, what conditions make them work right, etc.

Same thing goes for IR rotor temps with the Texense sensors. I have changed brake compounds, ducts, and some other things all based on the rotor temps.
Old 06-13-2017, 08:53 AM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Did you try smaller tires? I wonder if the temps would come up better. Your car is a light car and may work better with less tire. I know you've done a lot of research. What temps would you want to see if you had the "perfect" setup?
Old 06-13-2017, 10:50 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Did you try smaller tires? I wonder if the temps would come up better. Your car is a light car and may work better with less tire. I know you've done a lot of research. What temps would you want to see if you had the "perfect" setup?
I haven't tried smaller tires on my car. My car usually builds temp ok and I've figured out a couple of ways to get temps in the tires pretty quickly, so it hasn't been a problem. On other dissimilar cars with different tires, I've seen pretty substantial differences in how long it takes tires to warm up.

For my tires, I find 170-180F mid corner to provide the most grip. This is highly dependent on track temp, air temp, and the asphalt at the track though. Once you have IR temp data, you can do an XY with temps and lat/long grip, GSum, or grip factor and it will easily show you the optimum temp range for that tire.
Old 06-13-2017, 11:09 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
Once you have IR temp data, you can do an XY with temps and lat/long grip, GSum, or grip factor and it will easily show you the optimum temp range for that tire.
THAT is what is really cool! No more subjective evaluation, just facts.

Interesting though, because your observed temps are below by some significant amount the target range for many slicks. Is that an R-comp thing?
Old 06-13-2017, 11:23 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ProCoach
THAT is what is really cool! No more subjective evaluation, just facts.

Interesting though, because your observed temps are below by some significant amount the target range for many slicks. Is that an R-comp thing?
Every tire has a specific range that is unique to it. I've seen different slicks vary quiet a bit as well. Working with some of the tire engineers on this sort of stuff has been very interesting.

Quick Reply: AiM $100 IR Tire Temps! For Sale now!