Old 02-23-2017, 04:11 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts
Default AiM $100 IR Tire Temps! For Sale now!

AiM has started shipping their recently developed IR tire temp sensors for cars. They are great little units! Sized at 1.05" x .68" x .63" they are compact and offer great range at -4F to 250*F. The best part, is their price is only $100 each!

For options of how you could use these, you could do one on each tire, roughly centered. This would give you a good read on how hard the tires are being worked, if you are in the optimal temp ranges for the tire, and chassis balance.

You could also run 3 sensors on a tire (or all tires). This would give you the above information along with data towards optimal tire pressures, camber settings, and more info towards chassis balance. Having three sensors on a wheel, even if only one or two, is a very good learning tool. You can get a tremendous amount info on things like mid corner grip, body roll, suspension geometry effects, and more.

Don't forget this is a great sensor for other areas as well. If you need to get temps on hard to reach or moving items, this can be a good way. It's probably the best way to keep a record of track temps (a significant variable in grip!).

This is a great chance to have technology that was recently only available at 2-3x the cost. A great chance to bring high level data at a very reasonable price.

I have them in stock. If people are interested, let me know and we can get things going. I should have some with me at Sebring next weekend at the TA races if anyone wants to check them out. Call me at 603-674-3250 or email matt@trailbrake.net
Old 02-23-2017, 04:18 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I know I've shared this sort of data before, but here is another look of the kind of information you can get from these sensors.
Attached Images  
Old 02-23-2017, 06:35 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 808 Likes on 494 Posts

Matt - do you have a picture of the sensors?
Old 02-23-2017, 06:46 PM
bkovac
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Is this it?
Old 02-23-2017, 07:32 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

The photo above is not the AiM sensor, but similar. I can't get my phone to upload the photos. I'll get them up tonight.
Old 02-23-2017, 07:45 PM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

this is it. looks very similar.
Name:  photo478.jpg
Views: 925
Size:  13.4 KB
Old 02-23-2017, 08:46 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,850 Likes on 1,676 Posts

These are good deals.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 02-23-2017, 10:24 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

These are a great deal! When I saw these at PRI I couldn't believe the price and quality of them. I placed an order right then and tried to take the ones in the booth!

One of the nice features of this sensor is the mounting holes on 3 sides.

If anyone is interested, let me know and we can get the orders going.
Attached Images    
Old 02-24-2017, 09:17 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

So would you mount two per tire (inside and outside)? Also (stupid question) I have an AIM MXL, do I have enough data ports to plug these in?
Old 02-24-2017, 09:41 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
So would you mount two per tire (inside and outside)? Also (stupid question) I have an AIM MXL, do I have enough data ports to plug these in?
For the number of open channels, it depends on your setup. If you don't have them in the dash harness, you can add a channel expansion.

For the number of sensors per wheel, its up to you and how you want to use them. If you want the basics of tire temp and chassis balance, one per wheel will work. If you want full tire info, then you would go three per wheel. The fronts are difficult to do because of the wheel turning.

For many people, a great setup is three on each rear wheel and one each on the front. Add a track temp and you have plenty of tire data and more than some manufacturers!
Old 02-24-2017, 09:44 AM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 79 Posts

Forgive the stupid question(s) but you would mount this in the wheel well? Is there a good way to correlate temps to pressures?
Old 02-24-2017, 10:18 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Paul Solk
Forgive the stupid question(s) but you would mount this in the wheel well? Is there a good way to correlate temps to pressures?
No stupid questions. Yes, it is a wheel well mount, usually top or front side to avoid debris. I've added a photo of the rear sensors on my car.

If you have 3 of these sensors across the face of the tire, you can see if you are over or under inflated, but they will not tell you the actual pressure numbers you need.
Attached Images  
Old 02-24-2017, 10:20 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Frank, I would be glad to supply a premade kit consisting of four sensors, four patch cables to convert the 719 Binder to 712 Binder connections and the Channel Expansion, plus help you set it up and use it when you come to VIR for a very reasonable price! Give me a call.
Peter - again, this is very poor form to jump in a thread I started, to sell these sensors, with your own for sale post. The For Sale Now part of the thread title was just for you because the last time you jumped in like this you said it wasn't a for sale post. Obviously this one is.
Old 02-24-2017, 10:27 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

For people wondering about how to implement these sensors, it's a very easy setup. The sensors are in the RS3 library and the RS2 configs (for MXL and Evo4 users) are available here http://www.aim-sportline.com/eng/pro...sors/index.htm It's easy to set them up as a dash based analog channel or through a Channel Expansion, depending on your setup. Then, you mount the sensors and connect them either to the dash analog channels or to a Channel Expansion with a 712-719 patch cable. With that, it's basically done. I always like to have a helper stick their hand in front of each sensor while I watch the live view to make sure I have everything in the right location and named correctly.

If folks have questions on this, I'm happy to answer them and even grab some photos of my car with them to help out.
Old 02-24-2017, 11:03 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Matt - many thanks for posting this. In my quest to further develop my car, it would be very important for me to get the temps across the tires but there is a limit to what I can fit in the front wheel well. It's already pretty tight in there. Let me do some more research....

Quick Reply: AiM $100 IR Tire Temps! For Sale now!