Notices

Identifying an AIM GPS08

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2016, 10:32 PM
John In MD
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Identifying an AIM GPS08

I ordered an AIM GPS08 from a vendor not on this forum. In my defense, I was ordering a bunch of other stuff and it was just easier to put the GPS08 in the shopping cart online.

In any case, I received the GPS unit and interestingly enough it looked just like my old GPS05. The bag the GPS unit came in said it was an AIM GPS08 so I installed it.

At Watkins Glen this weekend, the new GPS unit worked with my MXS, but didn't seem any different than my old GPS05. This evening I looked at my logs and with the new GPS unit I'm still only seeing 12 satellites.

I did a bit of digging around on the internet and found pictures of the GPS08 and the ones I found had GPS08 painted on them as opposed to just GPS on the GPS05 units. Please let me know if the GPS08's are labeled GPS08.

Assuming I'm correct in how the GPS08's are painted, the vendor sent me an old GPS05. I've contacted the vendor and let them know I believe they sent me the old GPS unit. I assume this was an honest mistake. We'll see how it turns out.

Next time I won't be lazy and I'll take the extra time to order from one of the guys on the forum.

John
Old 09-09-2016, 11:26 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

Quick late night reply.

12 satellites would be from a GPS 08. There were only 7 to 9 GPS satellites available on Saturday and 13 to 17 total including Glonas.

The 08 shows up in the firmware as a 05 so It will work with the the MXL Pista. You should be good.
Old 09-10-2016, 12:00 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,837 Likes on 1,671 Posts

Hmmm...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 09-10-2016, 08:08 AM
John In MD
Intermediate

So is there any identification on the exterior of the GPS unit as to which kind it is?

In comparing the GPS_Nsat # from my last event with the GPS05 to the GPS_Nsat # from my first event with the GPS08 there was no difference. Note, the test was done on Tuesday, September 6 and was compared to laps run on Sunday, July 3.

I was expecting a jump in the GPS_Nsat count with the GPS08.

Last edited by John In MD; 09-10-2016 at 08:11 AM. Reason: adding dates for the tests
Old 09-10-2016, 11:13 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

Looking back at previous data from the Glen this year, with a GPS05 the most satellites I saw was 10. With the GPS08 I saw between 12 and 19.

The number of satellites you can see depends on where the satellites are in their orbit, your location, time, and your view of the horizon. The accuracy also depends on the atmosphere and a few other things.

Here are the charts for what satellites would be available for view on the two dates you gave (dates are on the bottom right). Looking back at my data, with the GPS05 at the Glen, the highest number of satellites I got was 10, but it was usually 7-9. With the GPS08 I saw up to 17, but it was usually 10-15. However, the accuracy of the GPS08 is normally significantly better than the 05 (.5 vs. 2.1).

What do your GPS accuracy numbers show? I probably won't make it to the shop to take a picture of one, but I can do it on Monday.

Maybe Peter has something to add?
Attached Images   
Old 09-10-2016, 12:53 PM
John In MD
Intermediate

I asked AIM Sports about this and just heard back from them.

If the GPS unit does not have the graphic GPS08 on it, then it is a GPS05. They changed the graphic on the GPS unit so the customer would know which one they had.

My GPS has only "GPS" on it, not GPS08. So the vendor did ship me GPS05 instead of the GPS08 that I ordered.

Thanks to everyone for the help!

Have a great weekend!

John
Old 09-10-2016, 04:24 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,837 Likes on 1,671 Posts

Originally Posted by John In MD
I asked AIM Sports about this and just heard back from them.

If the GPS unit does not have the graphic GPS08 on it, then it is a GPS05. They changed the graphic on the GPS unit so the customer would know which one they had.

My GPS has only "GPS" on it, not GPS08. So the vendor did ship me GPS05 instead of the GPS08 that I ordered.

Thanks to everyone for the help!

Have a great weekend!

John
Beat me to it. Reason why I was sceptical and said "hmmm."

Every GPS-08 I have sold, even for the SC HD, says GPS-08 on it.

Quick Reply: Identifying an AIM GPS08