Notices

HLT Camera Conundrum

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2016, 08:49 AM
dbbarron
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default HLT Camera Conundrum

I am at a point with HLT where I am confident it is relatively quick to setup for AX use and provides good instant feedback after each run. Data gathered is good, although I'd really like brake pressure which seems elusive.

Video is the problem. Using my iPhone 6+ camera results in the well known shake/rolling shutter of later phones. I have experimented with mounts to no avail. However, switching to a GoPro, although it yields great steady video, introduces transfer issues to HLT. The transfer to HLT is either too slow (WIFI from within HLT) or too cumbersome (use laptop) for during AX.

DEs are not nearly as big an issue as there is plenty of time to transfer video and get out a laptop between run groups. Moreover, if I really want, there are 'pro' systems that can work really well at DEs (but not AX - like the VBOX solutions)

Suggestions?

db
Old 09-09-2016, 09:22 AM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 108 Posts

Have you tried the hero 4 silver (or black)? They have the tightest integration.

There is also a multicam app that lets you use a second iPhone for the camera. It would allow you to pick up an older one off eBay but I haven't tested it at all.
Old 09-09-2016, 09:25 AM
dbbarron
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Slakker
Have you tried the hero 4 silver (or black)? They have the tightest integration.

There is also a multicam app that lets you use a second iPhone for the camera. It would allow you to pick up an older one off eBay but I haven't tested it at all.
If anyone could comment on transfer speed from a Hero4 to HLT iPhone over Wifi from inside the app, that would be great.

I played with multicam, but it seemed buggy and I found comments in the HLT docs saying multicam is buggy until a future version based on some ios changes.
Old 09-09-2016, 09:34 AM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 108 Posts

It's pretty slow. I would definitely recommend using the data during the event and the video afterwards.

Get really good at reading the gsum chart as it can help you after your first run. After your second run, use the speed chart with ref lap and also break into sectors and use the sector bar graph.

Quick Reply: HLT Camera Conundrum