Notices

Racelogic Video VBOX HD2 Review

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2017, 08:04 PM
rennlistdavid
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

X-posting here for SO-CAL folks. If you have experience with Buttonwillow Race #1 - I'd like your input on where I put the Splits start The track DB doesn't have this configuration, so I want to go into my next track day on this configuration with a really well put together track that if it works, I will submit to Racelogic. [Edit for clarity - the Track Map and the Start/Stop - not the Splits, see next post.]

Because this track is run in many configurations and both clockwise and counter wise, it gets a bit hazy where the splits REALLY start and which ones are commonly used. For example, Truck Stop is pretty redundant to what comes JUST before and JUST after it, IMO.

PDF that can be viewed in browsers easily: http://tinyurl.com/trackmaps

-V

Last edited by rennlistdavid; 02-18-2017 at 10:06 PM. Reason: Clarity edit
Old 02-18-2017, 09:27 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,270 Likes on 1,865 Posts

In my considered opinion, I would NEVER use or submit for use by others a track map with any premade splits, EXCEPT for the actual start/finish. While you can share and others can share with you, there are too many variables for one size to fit all.

Splits that cross a braking zone encourage variation and inhibit consistent and accurate performance evaluation. They should be avoided at ALL costs.

I don't know of any analysis software that includes pre-made splits (other than S/F) embedded in the track map, coordinates or configuration.

The Circuit Tools 2, AiM Race Studio Analysis and MoTeC i2 are ALL capable of making splits and saving various circuit maps in several different configurations, so what is the purpose of submitting split for inclusion into globally distributed software package?

Splits are USER based, not system based. Too many different kinds of cars, too many different split configurations possible for a variety of analysis tasks for "one size fits all."

Do it in CT2.

When you open the file, check the checkered flag icon on the toolbar and select your splits. Then, "Save Track" to have further data files with those splits. Easier than AiM, MoTeC or most others. No Earth required.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 02-18-2017, 09:51 PM
rennlistdavid
Instructor

Oh, cool. I didn't even know you could create the Splits in Circuit Tools. I'm still working on my understanding of Vbox Video.

I don't find the Google Earth part of this all that hard. Just a tad time consuming if you are detail oriented. It's Performance Tools that's a bit esoteric/dated. The instructions (British-English?) and I are often at odds with each other, but once I sorted it out I was able to rip out the Splits as seen in that PDF in minutes.

If it's better and easier to develop the Splits in Circuit Tools and not Google Earth -> Performance Tools -> to Vbox Video then Racelogic should update their instructions/procedures.

I hear you loud and clear about not submitting them to Racelogic. They just ask for Start/Stop and Track Map.

-V
Old 02-19-2017, 12:10 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 955 Likes on 552 Posts

997 GT3 Scene I just did today

Name:  gt3vbox2.jpg
Views: 858
Size:  23.8 KB
Name:  gt3vbox.jpg
Views: 959
Size:  516.7 KB
Old 02-19-2017, 04:17 PM
dbbarron
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

For those in the Northeast, I've been through the database and noticed Palmer, Thompson and NHMS are all missing. I will definitely be creating them this season and will submit to RL. The Glen and Lime Rock are in the database. Given the above discussion, I'll only include the start-finish line the track map and NOT create a splits file for general consumption.
Old 02-19-2017, 04:21 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by dbbarron
For those in the Northeast, I've been through the database and noticed Palmer, Thompson and NHMS are all missing. I will definitely be creating them this season and will submit to RL. The Glen and Lime Rock are in the database. Given the above discussion, I'll only include the start-finish line the track map and NOT create a splits file for general consumption.
Thanks! They've been submitted. I can make them from another company's database...
Old 03-12-2017, 01:11 PM
rennlistdavid
Instructor

Last night was Daylight Savings Time. Thus, +1 hour. This morning the time on my video is -1 hour from the actual run time.

The scene it set to GPS "local time" and I don't see an option for DST to be factored and I don't see other methods of getting the time that isn't UTC.

Any suggestions for handling DST correctly in the scene?
Attached Images  
Old 03-12-2017, 01:47 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Will look into it. Has the device gotten a satellite lock for today?
Old 03-12-2017, 03:24 PM
rennlistdavid
Instructor

Hi Peter,

Indeed. It was the first thing I tested when I got here.

I showed up to the track with a scene loaded where the track was set to "auto" to see what would happen. That's 2 for 2 with the missing menu items becoming available when you are close to a track in the database. This has been tested against both Willow Springs and Buttonwillow, these tracks are nowhere near each other despite the similarity of their names.

Unrelated ... this is my first experience running a real track with my own track map. I created one around my block to learn the process and that's as far as I took it.

Coming into this weekend. I knew the database didn't have the config we are running. I built a custom track with the Start/Stop and no splits. It's working incredibly well once I ironed out a kink with the Start/Stop line. Google Earth -> Performance Tools -> Vbox Tools. Performance Tools has some esoteric design choices with loading, saving, importing, and exporting but if you follow the instructions on the site then you won't make the mistakes I did.

Creating usable tracks for Vbox is incredibly simple. Now that I know that the track map is solid, I'll submit the track to Racelogic.

Last time out, and my first time with the system, I didn't do much with the data/video till the end of the day as I'm still learning how to use Circuit Tools and didn't want to try and do to much at once.

This is the first weekend where I go right to the computer after a session with the memory card.

I can't say it's just the video review, as a lot of it may be a GT4 that was in front of me as I was working to chase him down, but between those two things I shaved 5 seconds off my previous personal best. It's super clear to me where lots and lots of gains can be found by cross-comparing two or more laps across multiple session.

More later...

-V
Old 03-12-2017, 04:05 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

It's a great tool. And you can provide plenty of good comparison data...
Old 03-13-2017, 03:46 PM
rennlistdavid
Instructor

Here is the solve for the DST "problem."

I've looked at this screen dozens of time and never noticed that checkbox.

<INSERT SOFTWARE DESIGNER RANT ABOUT HOW DST SETTINGS SHOULD NOT BE UNDER A FILENAME SETTINGS HEADER>
Attached Images  
Old 03-13-2017, 04:22 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by rennlistdavid
Here is the solve for the DST "problem."

<INSERT SOFTWARE DESIGNER RANT ABOUT HOW DST SETTINGS SHOULD NOT BE UNDER A FILENAME SETTINGS HEADER>
Hahaha! No, most of us would not know to NOT do that...

Glad you found it.
Old 03-13-2017, 10:02 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 969 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Thanks! They've been submitted. I can make them from another company's database...
Wonder what the EULAs say about that?
Old 03-13-2017, 10:34 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
Wonder what the EULAs say about that?
Who, MoTeC's? Or Google Earth?
Old 03-15-2017, 03:28 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member