Notices

Racelogic Video VBOX HD2 Review

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 01:12 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,270 Likes on 1,865 Posts

I'm at home, 55 miles away from VIR, right now. I'm doing the same check with my HD2 and OLED to see if I can duplicate this.

Frankly, I have never tried to select a track when I wasn't AT the track, so in seven years and two hundred units sold, I haven't run into this issue. We'll know soon enough!

It's great that RL is such a good community.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 02-14-2017, 01:20 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 969 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by rennlistdavid
I never did find the SD card! But now I have 4 new high-quality SD cards.
Get a case like this
Amazon Amazon
and be religious about putting the cards in it. I use one side for clear cards and one with cards that have video on them.
Old 02-14-2017, 01:20 PM
bkovac
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I was lucky to be David's instructor for the day and he did great. Looking forward to his improvement. Is there a way to connect shift lights to the vbox?
Old 02-14-2017, 02:45 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by bkovac
I was lucky to be David's instructor for the day and he did great. Looking forward to his improvement. Is there a way to connect shift lights to the vbox?
Not at this time. Nor is there anything available for the other relatively simple data systems such as AiM Solo DL or Race-Keeper HDX2. There IS one just release for the Race Capture Pro, but light demand in the DE segment, so far.

The modern cars often don't have an analog, square wave tach signal, like the old cars. It's all carried through the internal CAN network of the car between the ECU and the instrument cluster.

I am looking into a CAN based shift light module that would be inexpensive and work quite well.
Old 02-14-2017, 03:43 PM
bkovac
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

thanks
Old 02-14-2017, 03:46 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

My pleasure! Thanks for you work with DV.
Old 02-14-2017, 11:31 PM
Slakker
Race Car

Received 270 Likes on 124 Posts

If you haven't already, I highly recommend downloading the vbox ebook and reading it. It's more like a series of short articles than a book but it is an excellent way to learn how to really use CT to improve your driving.

https://www.vboxmotorsport.co.uk/ind...ebook-download
Old 02-15-2017, 06:31 AM
cetom
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i am guessing somewhere in this thread my next question has been answered but maybe someone wouldnt mind me asking it . with vbox are you able to add simple measures like throttle and brake or do you have to depend on g force info
thanks
Old 02-15-2017, 08:38 AM
Slakker
Race Car

Received 270 Likes on 124 Posts

Yes. It can either tie in to the vehicle 's CAN if you have one or they sell an input module for wiring sensors up to.
Old 02-15-2017, 11:12 AM
cetom
Instructor

thank you
Old 02-15-2017, 12:10 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by cetom
with vbox are you able to add simple measures like throttle and brake or do you have to depend on g force info
thanks
Yes, you can.

You're used to Race-Keeper, which has one readily available standard measures template (OBDII, basic) that shows RPM, throttle position, coolant temp, manifold air pressure and that's about it. No brakes possible except brake switch on/off, generally.

On the other end, AiM has the most expansive and complete individual sensor protocols for individual makes and models, all of which are different. So, for instance, the 991.1 Porsches can send up to 35 channels of on-board information to the logger and camera, simply and easily. But the AiM analysis software doesn't allow coordinated, synced video AND data to be displayed, much less an easy side-by-side video and data comparison.

In the middle is VBOX, which for most newer cars, offers bespoke (for-that-car-make-and-model) templates that allow the video and data to show, for a 991.1 Porsche, RPM, throttle position, brake position, steering angle, steering left and right, wheel speeds and some other measures. ALL these measures can be set up to SHOW on the video and will, of course, be visible in the analysis software as strip charts, values, and synced with the video.

And the VBOX DOES offer ease of use, Apple OS and iOS compatibility natively and, in my experience, allows drivers to coach themselves the best, in the shortest period of time, with the least "steps" to do just that...

So yes. The measures that are MOST important to driver improvement, the ones you ask about, are generally available on the VBOX HD2.
Old 02-15-2017, 12:16 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Slakker
Yes. It can either tie in to the vehicle 's CAN if you have one or they sell an input module for wiring sensors up to.
Well yes, they do offer the MICIN01 Micro Input Module to do attach an RPM signal from older cars and up to four analog sensors, but unless you're pretty tech savvy, with regards to constructing a custom sensor calibration, I don't recommend doing that.

All the cars using CAN or OBDII have that done automatically, so no muss, no fuss on the later cars.
Old 02-15-2017, 01:01 PM
rennlistdavid
Instructor

Just a quick follow up to the "missing sub-menus." Racelogic confirmed this morning that it's a known bug in the firmware. They have no time estimate. I'll be following this one closely because I have a 100% repro case and perhaps can help them.

That said, I wouldn't let this bug stop you from evaluating or buying the product. It actually has not caused me an operational issues yet (remember, the menus DID show when I was at the track) and there is a known work-around that is very trivial by simply loading the Scene with the track selected.

I am impressed by the support Racelogic has given me. They have been forthright, reply in a timely manner and are super helpful. As a software developer, I know it takes some guts to directly acknowledge a bug to a customer and even more guts to acknowledge it's not fixed and more guts still to acknowledge that they don't have a timetable yet.

Those things don't turn me off in the slightest. Colored me impressed.

TL : DR - Still really into this product.
Old 02-15-2017, 01:16 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by rennlistdavid
Just a quick follow up to the "missing sub-menus." Racelogic confirmed this morning that it's a known bug in the firmware. They have no time estimate. I'll be following this one closely because I have a 100% repro case and perhaps can help them.

That said, I wouldn't let this bug stop you from evaluating or buying the product. It actually has not caused me an operational issues yet (remember, the menus DID show when I was at the track) and there is a known work-around that is very trivial by simply loading the Scene with the track selected.

I am impressed by the support Racelogic has given me.
David, I'll reach out privately, but I've been copied on every correspondence on this ticket, so I am up to speed.

I would recommend, since you are now facile in copying and modifying elements and parameters in the scene, that you DUPLICATE most user's experience and go to your next track event using the "Auto Track Map" element and feature in the scene, initially.

THEN, select the track in the OLED that you are driving that day and drive...

IF you have a situation where it's displaying that blank menu field (which I know it won't, once it's within 3km of a database-fed start/finish coordinates, just as it did on your first AT THE TRACK test), THEN load the track specific scene and power cycle the unit.

It has been my experience that when people load track specific scenes, they forget that they've done so until they go to the next event at a different track and wonder why there are no lap times or some funny track map on the background of the video! KISS principle is really important.

It's also good to know that even if the track specific scene is loaded by accident (or you forget in the Auto Track mode to select the configuration of the track you are running) you can STILL analyze your data, compare your video and do all the important self coaching required due to the fact that opening a file in Circuit Tools 2 will automatically recognize (and allow you to select the correct configuration in analysis) the track and define correct lap times, segment times, et cetera...

My .02
Old 02-15-2017, 01:31 PM
rennlistdavid
Instructor

Red face

That's exactly my workflow. I don't intend to do anything different than I did last time (unless I have too).

I have a bunch of SD cards now and a proper case as was recommended earlier in this thread (so maybe I'll stop losing them!). I'm a bit **** about all this stuff (you probably noticed!) and have naming convention for scenes, what makes them different from another, and revision numbers of those all neatly filed away and also on a backup drive.

Side note: I think it is possible that a scene can have too long of a name. The name will work in Vbox Video but won't load in Vbox HD2. And you won't get any error handling or warning saving that Scene to the SD card via Vbox Video.

My test scene last night of the track around my block had a really long name at first. My first attempt to load that Scene didn't work and it defaulted to the "Default" scene. Confirmed this using the OLED's "SCENE SELECTION" menu. I renamed the scene to something shorter (TestTrack) and rebooted and it loaded immediately with no issues. Once I figure out if that's actually accurate, then I'll make that product suggestion.

I love this kind of stuff so much.

Quick Reply: Racelogic Video VBOX HD2 Review