Notices

Racelogic Video VBOX HD2 Review

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2016, 05:31 AM
Mike-B
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the first instance, if you can't find the .REF file for your car email out support team: support@racelogic.co.uk and ask them if they the file you're looking for. There are some, like the GT4, that aren't on the website yet; I'm afraid we're in the process of overhauling the whole CAN thing because the way we've done it in the past was a bit clunky and it needs to be more streamlined.

If we don't have the IDs for your car, please give us make/model/year and the parameters you most want. Bear in mind that it's a straightforward thing to get throttle, RPM, brake pressure (when available) wheel speeds, steering angle etc than it is to reverse-engineer engine temps and pressures, as these don't change dynamically. We'll do our best to get the car in and sort out a file for you but clearly some of the cars in the States never make it over here... and getting hold of top end sports and race cars is never easy.

It's also worth contacting our office in Michigan as they might be able to help
Old 07-12-2016, 09:12 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,270 Likes on 1,865 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike-B
In the first instance, if you can't find the .REF file for your car email out support team: support@racelogic.co.uk and ask them if they the file you're looking for.

I'm afraid we're in the process of overhauling the whole CAN thing because the way we've done it in the past was a bit clunky and it needs to be more streamlined.

It's also worth contacting our office in Michigan as they might be able to help
The home office has been quite helpful and I'm glad to hear about streamlining CAN, as that has been a little bit of a barrier in the last five years!

The Michigan office is terrific! I always try them first.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 07-24-2016, 02:49 PM
investlt
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My HD2 made its maiden voyage yesterday at Monticello. I am using just GPS for now. The car is a 2000 Porsche GT3 MK1. I'm working on a custom gauge setup ala SNB, for now I just created a simple one.
Old 07-24-2016, 04:35 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by investlt
My HD2 made its maiden voyage yesterday at Monticello. I am using just GPS for now. The car is a 2000 Porsche GT3 MK1. I'm working on a custom gauge setup ala SNB, for now I just created a simple one.

Looks great! See the OLED mounted. You might try placing the forward facing camera at the top of the windshield, then you'll be able to see more of the edges of the car and their relationship to the track. Inside view is good, but I put it even closer to you, so you can see more of your head and hands on the wheel.

What year car is that again? I thought later than 2000...
Old 07-26-2016, 10:12 PM
investlt
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Peter - It's a 2000. Will look to move the cameras around for the next time out.
Old 08-06-2016, 09:45 PM
herrubermensch
8th Gear

BMW driver wandering into Porsche territory, drawn in by old friends (Hi Jamie!) and new instructor (Hi Peter!). My project car setup is 100% Motec: M190 ECU, CDL3 dash, three PDM16s and so on ad nauseum. I have always contemplated the addition of a Motec HD video system when complete, but I have to say, the New VBOX HD2 is really impressive, and the software looks remarkably intuitive. I'm interested in anyone who can give me the pros and cons of each before I jump, compare and contrast. I'm a little concerned with CAN integration of the VBOX in particular, based on the historical issues. Thanks in advance!

--Peter
Old 08-06-2016, 10:05 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Hello, Peter!

As a MoTeC AND VBOX dealer, I can't recommend the MoTeC VCS-HD video system. It's more expensive than the VBOX Video HD2 system and much harder to configure and use.

There are several ways to integrate third party video systems within MoTeC i2 Pro to allow for a synchronized video window within the data analysis window.

I have supplied AiM SmartyCams that integrate well with the C-series dash loggers. Also, there is integration with the Race-Keeper HDX2. I am currently testing HD2 protocols that will allow CAN info to be transmitted from the MoTeC to the HD2.

Contact me offline and would be glad to talk about options.

Joe Hullett and Colin in Florida are good to talk to, too.
Old 08-06-2016, 11:12 PM
herrubermensch
8th Gear

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Hello, Peter!

As a MoTeC AND VBOX dealer, I can't recommend the MoTeC VCS-HD video system. It's more expensive than the VBOX Video HD2 system and much harder to configure and use.

There are several ways to integrate third party video systems within MoTeC i2 Pro to allow for a synchronized video window within the data analysis window.

I have supplied AiM SmartyCams that integrate well with the C-series dash loggers. Also, there is integration with the Race-Keeper HDX2. I am currently testing HD2 protocols that will allow CAN info to be transmitted from the MoTeC to the HD2.

Contact me offline and would be glad to talk about options.

Joe Hullett and Colin in Florida are good to talk to, too.
Well that settles it! I will pick up an HD2. I have no significant electronics in the racecar, so it will be good to have a box that can run on a standalone basis and also integrate with the Motec when I use it with the project car.

Thanks, Peter.

--Peter
Old 08-26-2016, 04:35 PM
MSWNCity
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Is there a consensus on where / how to mount the Video Vbox HD2 unit?

Thanks,

Mark W.
Old 08-26-2016, 07:15 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

In a 991 installation I did last week, I put the unit in the glovebox, with suitable spacers (foam, washcloths, etc) on either side to keep it from moving laterally. It fits great front to back. Make certain NOTHING is resting on top of the finned heat sink of the HD2.

On other cars, I have taken up the floor mats and put 3M high strength "Dual Lock" fasteners on a clean floor and to the underside of the HD2 under the passenger's knees, just forward of the passenger seat.

I would mock it up first. Place the cameras first choice just right of the mirror high on the inside of the windshield. One camera facing forward and one facing back and down towards the driver. Then, place the antenna where you want. Of course, you have the power and CAN connection cable that you can run back behind the drivers seat, if you wanted to put the HD2 there, just don't know about the camera cable runs. Most folks are running the CAN cable to the passenger side footwell and locating the HD2 in that general area, glovebox, side of the kick panel or floor.

Post pics when you do it.
Old 08-26-2016, 07:44 PM
FergusH
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MSWNCity
Is there a consensus on where / how to mount the Video Vbox HD2 unit?

Thanks,

Mark W.
Hey Mark,

I'm not sure about a consensus but what worked well for me is described here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/gt4/9462...on-in-gt4.html

In short, I've got the Vbox mounted on the engine bulkhead behind the drivers seat. (I have a Cayman.) One camera is mounted just below the rear view mirror and the other is mounted on the harness bar looking at me. The HD2's screen is mounted just to the left of the steering wheel.

So far, it's working really well. Oh, one cautionary note: Racelogic shipped some cameras with a problem that caused them to make everything look too red. I got a replacement camera from them and they're aware of the problem but it was frustrating because I'm going to have to remove the headliner - again! - to replace the dead camera.

Happy to provide more information if you'd like.

Fergus
Old 08-26-2016, 10:53 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

I'll take a look at Fergus' video, but as the US's largest VBOX Video HD2 dealer, and a dealer for Video VBox products since 2010, I cannot recommend having the cockpit camera facing forward and having any of the outside windshield view in the camera field. The exposure control is not designed for that at all. While that will change as an iOS crop and exposure setting tool is introduced, for now, it is not.

The replacement of a few of the cameras (I have replaced one of 32, so far, Fergus' makes the second), I appreciate Racelogic's proactive and AiM-like approach to this issue. While future versions of the firmware will allow for a field repair for this fault, at present it does not.

This is a great tool. Ive gotten such good use, I bought another for client use today.

The rear bulkhead is a good place, for sure, but again, it all depends on the cable runs...
Old 08-27-2016, 06:25 AM
FergusH
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
I'll take a look at Fergus' video, but as the US's largest VBOX Video HD2 dealer, and a dealer for Video VBox products since 2010, I cannot recommend having the cockpit camera facing forward and having any of the outside windshield view in the camera field. The exposure control is not designed for that at all. While that will change as an iOS crop and exposure setting tool is introduced, for now, it is not.
I don't see the logic behind that. If the second camera is to see what the driver is doing, then it doesn't really matter if the outside is slightly overexposed; the inside of the car looks good. Pointing forward gives a better view of the driver than the side-on view you'll get if the camera is mounted in the top right corner of the windshield. Also, I've found the outside overexposure to be much less than I'd thought. The founder of Racelogic has his second camera pointing forward, so if it's good enough for him, it's probably good enough for me!

Much less interesting but here's some video from my own setup:

Old 08-27-2016, 09:38 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Just talking from personal experience, but YMMV, of course.

Once they add the spot metering function to the aiming app, it'll be a non issue. Most folks looking for "driver view from the rear" want to see instruments, lights, etc., and these FOV's aren't conducive to that.

Thanks for posting. Looks great!
Old 09-28-2016, 08:23 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Getting more CAN info from the protocol than AiM!

Quick Reply: Racelogic Video VBOX HD2 Review