Notices

Racelogic Video VBOX HD2 Review

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 12:12 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 939 Likes on 544 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
The new HDX2 from Racelogic has had a rocky start but has worked out well for the folks that use it, including TomW, who has integrated it well with his MoTeC.
Racekeeper you mean? or is there a new vbox coming out?
Old 06-06-2017, 12:20 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,827 Likes on 1,667 Posts

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
Racekeeper you mean? or is there a new vbox coming out?
oops! Meant Race-Keeper! No new boxes coming, except from AiM!
Old 06-07-2017, 02:55 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Ron, two different generations of equipment, HD2 newer, Pro older but with components in it from MUCH more expensive equipment designed for OEM vehicle and tire manufacturing company validation and testing. While some current GT3 Cup team engineers insist on the 20 Hz, industrial grade GPS sampling rate and the large number of CAN channels for external modules, as well as requiring three or as many as four cameras the Pro can accommodate, I prefer the HD2. Same aluminum box,
same waterproof enclosure, same high quality positive locking Swiss made Lemo connectors and robust cabling, but much more powerful processor and 1080p picture in picture WITH info on it as it's happening. I have your email and will send the comparison chart, but it's a lot better than what you have, and I'm a dealer for both.
Also, while 20Hz is an option on the Pro, it's a specific version that's almost $2K (~6K for the system) more than the base 10Hz model. It made a lot more sense when there were three options. Lite, Marine, and Pro. HD2 somewhat blows all of that up, and leaves the conversation really around Lite (SD video, limited CAN channels, lower-end design that uses consumer connectors and is not waterproof) vs. HD2 (HD Video, 32 can channels, water resistant, high-end design). The VBOX Lite is still a very compelling product for people who want to learn. Since I got my HD2, my learning ability and process has not changed vs the Lite that I had for a couple years. Youtube videos are more attractive.....and when we get some better Canbus integrations, some additional data to help with learning.
Old 06-07-2017, 05:17 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

I've had very few people buy the Lite, but they still do because the entry cost is so good and, as you say, the analysis methodology is the same. I was one of those that poo-poo'd HD because I thought it was a gimmick back in 2009-2010. Not!

I've had quite a few more buy the HD2, since it came out, because of the quality of construction, ease of use, and the video quality. But again, as you say, the HD2's better tech, form factor and feature set is available at a lesser cost than the old gen stuff (even if it is 20Hz). Moore's law?

I have had one or two trade in their new Lites immediately for the HD2, just because they could not abide...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 11-04-2017, 08:49 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

More Scenes/Graphics. If interested, ping me. Happy to do something custom.

997 GTS/C2/C4
Name:  997gts.jpg
Views: 1288
Size:  74.5 KB

997 GT3/GT3RS
Name:  997gt3.jpg
Views: 1241
Size:  72.7 KB

Rothsport RSR
Name:  RSR.jpg
Views: 1229
Size:  77.1 KB

Name:  Dash18.36.png
Views: 1247
Size:  142.0 KB

GT4CS
Name:  clubsport 1.png
Views: 1247
Size:  254.9 KB

Ricey
Name:  Cup Design2.png
Views: 1213
Size:  321.1 KB

Ricey GT4
Name:  Cup Design.png
Views: 1257
Size:  292.9 KB
Old 11-04-2017, 11:15 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Just in time with the new CAN templates! Will ping you.
Old 11-15-2017, 10:13 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Completed 996/Boxster scene (no CAN, needs CAN or microinput)

Name:  996box_v1.jpg
Views: 1177
Size:  355.1 KB
Old 11-15-2017, 10:25 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
Completed 996/Boxster scene (no CAN, needs CAN or microinput)
Yes, CAN works MY 2002 and later.
Old 12-01-2017, 02:51 AM
nolimits
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Just saw this thread, late to the party. Had the HD2 since it came out and love this product, integrated solution, nice interface, easy to use. CAN inductive was easy to install and keep things looking stock. Using Throttle, Brake, RPM, and Steering Angle. Never had time to get any decent gauges other than defaults and some past ZR1 elements to use with my 991 TTS. Anyone have any? Even Shakes 996/Boxter gauges could be adapted. Have seen some of the photo TTS versions but there is more work than I want to do to remove reflections, unlit CEL symbols, needles etc or deal with masking. Any source suggestions appreciated. Finally going to get a chance to do some data analysis and video editing this winter.
Old 12-01-2017, 11:00 AM
MJP911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default "Best Lap" or OLED "Reference Lap"?

I have an HD2 with the OLED display. The HD2 has built in the ability to track "Best Lap" as part of the Lap Timing functions used in a scene. The OLED has the ability to track a "Reference Lap" and calculate a Delta from that Reference, which can also be included in a scene. The Best Lap and Reference Lap appear to be essentially the same - am I missing something? If I want to use the Delta on my scene, I assume it would be best to also use the OLED Reference Lap rather than the HD2 native Best Lap, correct? Any other thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 12-01-2017, 12:53 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by MJP911
I have an HD2 with the OLED display. The HD2 has built in the ability to track "Best Lap" as part of the Lap Timing functions used in a scene. The OLED has the ability to track a "Reference Lap" and calculate a Delta from that Reference, which can also be included in a scene. The Best Lap and Reference Lap appear to be essentially the same - am I missing something? If I want to use the Delta on my scene, I assume it would be best to also use the OLED Reference Lap rather than the HD2 native Best Lap, correct? Any other thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks
The Best Lap is used as the Reference Lap, unless you LOAD another Reference Lap into the HD2. The latter would be a way to compare your performance against a faster driver in your or another car.

Personally, while the best lap is informative and important on the background of the video, the Delta-T is what I want to see... On both the video AND the OLED.
Old 12-02-2017, 12:44 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nolimits
Just saw this thread, late to the party. Had the HD2 since it came out and love this product, integrated solution, nice interface, easy to use. CAN inductive was easy to install and keep things looking stock. Using Throttle, Brake, RPM, and Steering Angle. Never had time to get any decent gauges other than defaults and some past ZR1 elements to use with my 991 TTS. Anyone have any? Even Shakes 996/Boxter gauges could be adapted. Have seen some of the photo TTS versions but there is more work than I want to do to remove reflections, unlit CEL symbols, needles etc or deal with masking. Any source suggestions appreciated. Finally going to get a chance to do some data analysis and video editing this winter.
Send me a PM, I made this one recently for Jamie at Dundon.

Old 12-02-2017, 03:39 AM
nolimits
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Will do, thanks. Know the Dundon guys and will be getting John my DSC S+ track config file.
Old 12-02-2017, 08:14 AM
MJP911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The Best Lap is used as the Reference Lap, unless you LOAD another Reference Lap into the HD2. The latter would be a way to compare your performance against a faster driver in your or another car.

Personally, while the best lap is informative and important on the background of the video, the Delta-T is what I want to see... On both the video AND the OLED.
Thanks
Old 12-18-2017, 01:47 PM
Viperbob1
Nordschleife Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Since your all making cool stuff, how bout a 991 Cosworth Dash for the 991 Cups? Work in the temps, lap times, predicted, rpms, MPH, etc just like on main disply. And then like on the Dash you can make the little lights on side light for non turning wheels instead of that car thing. And then finally just the cool brake pressure bars on side with front and rear. Pretty simple I would think..... Tuesday at noon for prototype work for anyone???

Quick Reply: Racelogic Video VBOX HD2 Review