Notices

Newbie AiM Solo DL and SmartyCam HD questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 10:13 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach

I'm telling people to use Race Studio 2 to configure their Solo and Solo DL's, download data from those devices and use Race Studio Analysis to analyze their downloaded data.
Thanks for that, it answered my questions.

Couldn't figure out why RS3 didn't see my DL and allow me to download my data, despite having been able to download a month or so ago (I must have used RS2 back then but didn't remember). I thought that I now had some kind of failure.

More confusing was the fact that, in RS3, the 'analysis' button would open RS2 (app v. program?) but the latter still said 'no device detected'.

Now I just need to figure out how to use the the software. Traqmate was sooo easy, lol.

This conversation makes me realize that maybe it's not just me
Old 09-25-2017, 08:28 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 892 Likes on 546 Posts

Originally Posted by FFaust
Thanks for that, it answered my questions.

Couldn't figure out why RS3 didn't see my DL and allow me to download my data, despite having been able to download a month or so ago (I must have used RS2 back then but didn't remember). I thought that I now had some kind of failure.

More confusing was the fact that, in RS3, the 'analysis' button would open RS2 (app v. program?) but the latter still said 'no device detected'.

Now I just need to figure out how to use the the software. Traqmate was sooo easy, lol.

This conversation makes me realize that maybe it's not just me
If you're coming to Sebring I can help you set up the basic screens. I have
some math channels that are interesting as well.
Old 09-25-2017, 08:53 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
If you're coming to Sebring I can help you set up the basic screens. I have
some math channels that are interesting as well.
Thanks Frank. Almost sounds like a conspiracy: I've never been to Sebring, but it seems that my whole entourage is trying to get me there, lol.

Not planning for it at the moment, but we can talk next time I see you.

Also need to transfer from OBD to ECU next (I do have both harnesses).
Old 09-25-2017, 08:59 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,331 Likes on 1,891 Posts

Francois, we can speak over the phone and I can share your screen remotely to help you get up and running. Would save a lot of time.

We can set up the screens and information display to duplicate what you like about Traqmate and it will look very similar. Again, it will save a lot of time.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 09-25-2017, 09:28 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,005 Likes on 600 Posts

The classes with John Block at www.auto-ware.com are excellent to tech you both how to use the software and how to think so you can draw information out of the data to improve yourself and the car.
Old 09-25-2017, 09:38 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Thanks Peter, let me spend some time with RS2 and RS3 and try to get a bit more comfortable with the controls first.

I just found out that you must use RS3, not RS2, to change the track name of a "test". Finally downloaded all my stuff this am but everything was ID'd as Mosport, despite having the Road America race in there. In the sessions' Properties, the controls were grayed out in RS2 but active in RS3.

Now, you said above to use Race Studio Analysis to, uh, analyze the data: Is that in RS2 or RS3? Or does is matter? They both seem to go to Race Studio Analysis when "Analysis" is selected.
Old 09-25-2017, 09:44 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
The classes with John Block at www.auto-ware.com are excellent to tech you both how to use the software and how to think so you can draw information out of the data to improve yourself and the car.
Yeah, how to think: I think I'll have to figure out how to think like an Italian first <grin>

Yeah, thanks Matt, I also have a couple of vids by James Colborn and Aim lined up; just need to find some time.

Cheers

Last edited by FFaust; 09-26-2017 at 10:23 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 09-26-2017, 08:01 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by FFaust
Thanks Peter, let me spend some time with RS2 and RS3 and try to get a bit more comfortable with the controls first.

I just found out that you must use RSA, not RS2, to change the track name of a "test". Finally downloaded all my stuff this am but everything was ID'd as Mosport, despite having the Road America race in there. In the sessions' Properties, the controls were grayed out in RS2 but active in RS3.

Now, you said above to use Race Studio Analysis to, uh, analyze the data: Is that in RS2 or RS3? Or does is matter? They both seem to go to Race Studio Analysis when "Analysis" is selected.
Race Studio 2, introduced more than ten years ago, is a "shell" or an overarching program that allow selection of different tasks, both having to do with hardware (configuration and calibration) of older generation equipment and software (opening Race Studio Analysis, RSA, the program used to visualize the logged or collected information).

Race Studio 3 is the same "shell," and includes the latest version of Race Studio 2 and Race Studio Analysis, as well as Smarty Manager 2, GPS Manager and basically ALL the current offerings, covering every generation of equipment and visualizing data produced by BOTH generations of this equipment.

Race Studio Analysis is the analysis-only program, but should be opened from RS3, if any information is produced by the newer generation of equipment, as the file name and structure has changed.

Here is a great PDF on how Race Studio 2 works and what EVERY button in Race Studio Analysis does. Plus, there are helpful tips and tricks on how to set up the "windows" to visualize your collected information.

http://www.peterkrause.net/Krause_%2..._Reference.pdf
Old 09-26-2017, 09:54 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

So, RS3 for everything except to download data, which is done using RS2. Got it, thanks.

And thanks for the PDF, should take me a long way.
Old 09-26-2017, 10:09 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
Agreed. John's great. But you need a fair bit of familiarity to be facile with the interface, first.

I'm STILL going over his Advanced slides frequently to understand, rather than regurgitate, his engineering methodology. And it's more practical than Jorge's!
Old 09-26-2017, 01:40 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,005 Likes on 600 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Agreed. John's great. But you need a fair bit of familiarity to be facile with the interface, first.

I'm STILL going over his Advanced slides frequently to understand, rather than regurgitate, his engineering methodology. And it's more practical than Jorge's!
I agree you need some familiarity for John's intro webinar, but it's pretty good at teaching people how to setup screens, get multiple measures graphs going, profiles, etc. If you've watched one of Roger's webinars, you should be good to go.

John's advanced webinar is great. As to what is most practical, I guess it depends on the level of car and driver your working with as to what is best. I can't say that I reference either a lot. Once I understood the theories and ideas (during the webinar and/or classes), I was able to run with it and make my own math channels and investigations.

All including Squiggly Lines, Chris Brown's classes, Bob Knox's book, Jorge book and classes are all good!

Quick Reply: Newbie AiM Solo DL and SmartyCam HD questions