Newbie AiM Solo DL and SmartyCam HD questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2016, 10:50 PM
johnsopa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 157 Posts
Default Newbie AiM Solo DL and SmartyCam HD questions

I've been using Harry's Lap Timer with my previous 987.2 Cayman S and current GT4. I found it pretty good and very easy to use.

I recently decided to move to a "real" DAQ but didn't want to do any video post processing so I got the Solo DL and SmartyCam HD last week.

I'm using the CAN bus cable and unfortunately connected the CAN- wire to the wrong wire in the harness so I didn't get any ECU data from my first day using the system yesterday at NJMP Thunderbolt.

However, I do have two sessions of video and lap times with lat Gs.

I have some questions/tech issues:
  1. For some reason, I didn't get a track map overlaid with on the SmartyCam. Is there a way to add this to the video afterwards?
  2. Since I screwed up the initial CAN wiring, I don't have any ECU data. Can I add this to the video overlay afterwards?
  3. How can I have a video window open while I'm reviewing data in RaceStudio? Basically, as a slide through the data timeline, I'd like to be able to see the point in the video that the data is referencing.
  4. When I open the videos using SmartyManager 2, and then go to movies and open a track video, the programs says "lap times not available". Is there a way to bring the laptimes in from RaceStudio?
  5. Is there a way to split the session videos into lap videos?
  6. I connected an external microphone to the CAN/mic cable but it wasn't used by the SmartyCam. Are there any tricks to getting the external mic to be recognized?

Thanks!

John

Last edited by johnsopa; 06-25-2016 at 11:12 PM.
Old 06-26-2016, 01:15 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,331 Likes on 1,891 Posts

John:

1) no way to add items after the fact into the recorded video. This is why prerendered video is so nice. No work afterwards.

2) no way to add what you don't have (or can't collect) onto the video, even through a third party software like RaceRender, unless there is a store of data collected somewhere.

3) not possible within RS2 at this time. No time base correction signal to allow that synchronization. AiM believes it's problem solved with the info recorded video directly. There are other data systems you can do this easily (VBOX Video and Race-Keeper) but not AiM.

4) sometimes

5) only if the lap times are split out in the Smartymanager 2 playback tool.

6) on the camera, open Menu>Settings>Audio and then you'll see an external mic gain level and an internal mic gain level. Adjust each as required.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 06-26-2016, 01:16 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Glad you fixed the CAN connection!
Old 05-07-2017, 07:44 PM
gtreddy
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
John:

1) no way to add items after the fact into the recorded video. This is why prerendered video is so nice. No work afterwards.

2) no way to add what you don't have (or can't collect) onto the video, even through a third party software like RaceRender, unless there is a store of data collected somewhere.

3) not possible within RS2 at this time. No time base correction signal to allow that synchronization. AiM believes it's problem solved with the info recorded video directly. There are other data systems you can do this easily (VBOX Video and Race-Keeper) but not AiM.

4) sometimes

5) only if the lap times are split out in the Smartymanager 2 playback tool.

6) on the camera, open Menu>Settings>Audio and then you'll see an external mic gain level and an internal mic gain level. Adjust each as required.
Could you please expand on Number 4? I've never been able to do this.
Old 05-07-2017, 08:00 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

So, others may chime in saying they have no issues, but it's been hit or miss with me. So much so, I don't really use this tool.

If you have a SmartyCam HD, you should be able to open RS3, open Movies, direct the file loading path to the folder where your videos are and select the video. Then, you have a choice of whole session or laps in the top left.

Sometimes, I can't get individual laps, just the whole session, sometimes the start/finish is in the wrong place but the lap times are correct.
Attached Images   
Old 05-07-2017, 08:39 PM
gtreddy
Instructor

So, others may chime in saying they have no issues, but it's been hit or miss with me. So much so, I don't really use this tool.

If you have a SmartyCam HD, you should be able to open RS3, open Movies, direct the file loading path to the folder where your videos are and select the video. Then, you have a choice of whole session or laps in the top left.

Sometimes, I can't get individual laps, just the whole session, sometimes the start/finish is in the wrong place but the lap times are correct.
I really appreciate the help, because it cleared up a lot for me an hopefully others in the future.

Like the OP, I used SmartyManager2, perhaps originally you did not catch that nuance. AIM is not good at their software designation for products (coming from a developer) and it was not clear to me which piece of software does what.

It seems that RaceStudio3 is the replacement for SmartyManager2, so now I can get the lap designations (at least for me) with RaceStudio3. I know it sounds stupid, but I have to imagine I'm not the only one that was confused by their software suite.
Old 05-07-2017, 09:04 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

No, not the only one. AiM is not very good at explaining the basics, nor are most others.

So, Race Studio 2 (the application that included several sub programs) is included in every download of Race Studio 3. As are GPS Manager and SmartyManager 2 (these programs replaced by applications within RS3). Race Studio 2 has within it Race Studio Analysis, which is used to look at DATA files generated by all loggers.

However, the hardware configuration side for the older logger hardware is NOT accessible from RS3, only from RS2. The hardware configuration side for the newer loggers, is accessible only from RS3, not at all from RS2.

So, I am telling people to use RS3 for configuring their SmartyCam HD's, viewing their videos THIS way (which is not the best way, IMO), and loading tracks onto their SmartyCam HD's.

I'm telling people to use Race Studio 2 to configure their Solo and Solo DL's, download data from those devices and use Race Studio Analysis to analyze their downloaded data.

Hope I haven't made it worse for you! <grin>
Old 05-07-2017, 09:14 PM
gtreddy
Instructor

No, not the only one. AiM is not very good at explaining the basics, nor are most others.

So, Race Studio 2 (the application that included several sub programs) is included in every download of Race Studio 3. As are GPS Manager and SmartyManager 2 (these programs replaced by applications within RS3). Race Studio 2 has within it Race Studio Analysis, which is used to look at DATA files generated by all loggers.

However, the hardware configuration side for the older logger hardware is NOT accessible from RS3, only from RS2. The hardware configuration side for the newer loggers, is accessible only from RS3, not at all from RS2.

So, I am telling people to use RS3 for configuring their SmartyCam HD's, viewing their videos THIS way (which is not the best way, IMO), and loading tracks onto their SmartyCam HD's.

I'm telling people to use Race Studio 2 to configure their Solo and Solo DL's, download data from those devices and use Race Studio Analysis to analyze their downloaded data.

Hope I haven't made it worse for you! <grin>
Thank you. That is very helpful and what you said makes sense.

But that is literally a description for "how not to develop software". I am astounded that the cost for these devices is so high (even though I know its a niche) which has to be the majority of the cost since the hardware is incredibly basic.
Old 05-07-2017, 09:17 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Not really, when you look at the quality of the CCD and rendering power that these things have, it's not unreasonable.
Old 05-07-2017, 09:56 PM
gtreddy
Instructor

Not really, when you look at the quality of the CCD and rendering power that these things have, it's not unreasonable.
I could be missing something, but I don't see that. And I'm not trying to be difficult, because I really do appreciate you helping me out, I am just curious in your rationale to understand what I'm not seeing.

CMOS is superior than CCD in the way that this device is being used, especially considering the frame rate. And by rendering, if you mean the overlay, I could partially agree; but there significant advantages using other standard practices, especially considering the overlay is useless without an input on the SmartyCAM (Unless all you want is G-Force). Perhaps if the smarty cam had a high frequency GPS, I would say that it's a good package. But at the price point of 1k (speaking to the camera specifically), we are paying a niche premium for the hardware that won't function without another ~$150 at the minimum. And at ~$1200 I would say the non-tight package (GPS Sensor addition) is significantly overpriced.

But thats only my opinion, and I'm sure there is a reason people keep buying it, like me.
Old 05-07-2017, 10:07 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

I'm sorry, I misspoke.

It is a CMOS, not a CCD. It is specifically designed for the high vibration and harsh motorsports environment.

I see the device as a small computer. With it's own OS, CPU and GPU, it's a powerful little package and the only one built out of a solid block of aluminum.

The earlier standard definition versions were standalone, including an internal GPS antenna, but when the case was upgraded, the CMOS was upgraded, the resolution went from 640 x 480 to 1280 x 720 and the consequent increase in rendering power was incorporated, something had to give.

Still think it's a good deal. People do buy it, including you!
Old 05-07-2017, 10:21 PM
gtreddy
Instructor

So I understand what you're saying, and it's only my opinion, but if the only thing it does without any external devices is record video, then the concept of small and neat package goes out the window.

I only bought it because I thought it was easy to use with the software (and it wasn't because the documentation is god awful which you don't really know how bad it is until you try and use the device, then look at the documentation, then realize it isn't adequate, and then have to search for solutions) but you're the ONLY reason I understand their terrible application architecture, so I once again thank you... and.... it was the only option at under 2k all in for 720P track video/data logging/laptimer (with a SOLO DL) in 2017.

Once again, only in my opinion, I'm surprised by that.
Old 05-07-2017, 10:37 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by gtreddy
So I understand what you're saying, and it's only my opinion, but if the only thing it does without any external devices is record video, then the concept of small and neat package goes out the window.

I only bought it because I thought it was easy to use with the software (and it wasn't because the documentation is god awful which you don't really know how bad it is until you try and use the device, then look at the documentation, then realize it isn't adequate, and then have to search for solutions) but you're the ONLY reason I understand their terrible application architecture, so I once again thank you... and.... it was the only option at under 2k all in for 720P track video/data logging/laptimer (with a SOLO DL) in 2017.

Once again, only in my opinion, I'm surprised by that.
I hear you!

When I look at the cost/performance ratio between the Stack and Pi systems twenty years ago, and even the Traqmate/ChaseCam PDR-100 systems (which was $2300 in 2007 dollars) ten years ago, we have come a long way.

The SmartyCam has always been designed primarily as an integrated solution to be used with AiM loggers, and with the cost/performance ratio present in the Solo DL, it's a GREAT combination, especially with the included CAN templates. I just paid $500 for a MoTeC CAN template, that's just how it is.

Hopefully, the documentation will get better with Laura in Italy at the helm of that department, but Roger Caddell is coming to my facility this weekend at VIR, and MANY of the questions on how to use this stuff will have nothing to do with the power of analysis that he will demonstrate. It IS frustrating, but I'm glad I was able to help.
Old 05-07-2017, 11:16 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,005 Likes on 600 Posts

Towards the price, I would say you are buying a solution (Video with overlay and automatic function), not just a device. Sort of like buying a book - you're not paying for paper, you paying for the knowledge and thoughts in it.

The video work inside SM2 or RS3 is a bit of a false start. It's there, but not really supported and it doesn't work well. I've had decent luck with it working in the past, but the SD card I have in my laptop right now didn't work.

My workflow now is usually to use VLC to watch single video, comparemylaps.com (program) to watch and compare 2 laps (most of the time), and RaceRender to trim and export laps.
Old 05-07-2017, 11:20 PM
gtreddy
Instructor

I hear you!

When I look at the cost/performance ratio between the Stack and Pi systems twenty years ago, and even the Traqmate/ChaseCam PDR-100 systems (which was $2300 in 2007 dollars) ten years ago, we have come a long way.

The SmartyCam has always been designed primarily as an integrated solution to be used with AiM loggers, and with the cost/performance ratio present in the Solo DL, it's a GREAT combination, especially with the included CAN templates. I just paid $500 for a MoTeC CAN template, that's just how it is.

Hopefully, the documentation will get better with Laura in Italy at the helm of that department, but Roger Caddell is coming to my facility this weekend at VIR, and MANY of the questions on how to use this stuff will have nothing to do with the power of analysis that he will demonstrate. It IS frustrating, but I'm glad I was able to help.

So, I'm in a conundrum, because I get your job/role and think you're a standup guy. You've also been incredibly helpful so I don't want to be rude.

The only thing I will say, is that from a personal opinion (I love using this phrase, because I don't think I'm privy to all knowledge), I don't agree with your viewpoint based off my, professional experience understanding of current day business (i.e. $500 is a drop in the bucket for a company that can use it for a large group of number of products, lack of documentation, lack of user friendly software, etc.) and technology (there is a lot here, which I'd rather not get into unless neccesary).

I'm not one to think that because it was better than 10 years ago means its good value. It's relative to the progression of both business and technology as and industry and not a niche. And I'll leave it at that. But I completely understand your view point.

Quick Reply: Newbie AiM Solo DL and SmartyCam HD questions