Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 914 Likes on 557 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
As it is a known issue with AiM, MoTeC and others...
No doubt. The software is always literal on the names (for now).

But, what I was asking is if you can overcome the problem like in RS2, where you can select the two different channel names in their own test to open them. If you want them overlaid, you can do it.

What I understood from the previous post was that in Circuit Tools, you are limited to the channel names in the first file opened. Is that correct?
Old 08-01-2016, 08:11 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,101 Likes on 1,810 Posts

There is no design protocol that allows files produced by an alternate piece of hardware on Circuit Tools 2, so I can't say. That's FergusH's assumption.

No way to change channel names because the templates are fixed, like many other systems.

Will have to ask about that.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Last edited by ProCoach; 08-01-2016 at 08:37 PM.
Old 08-01-2016, 08:49 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

There is no design protocol that allows files produced by an alternate piece of hardware on Circuit Tools 2, so I can't say. That's FergusH's assumption.

No way to change channel names because the templates are fixed, like many other systems.

Will have to ask about that.
You misunderstood my question. Obviously you can't compare files from other systems.

If someone opens the first file with a RPM called "Engine_Speed" and a second file with the RPM called "engine_RPM" can you compare those two channels? Are you limited to only selecting the file names from the first file opened?
Old 08-01-2016, 09:29 PM
MarcD147
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts

Based on vbo files I looked at ( vbsport) channel names are trivial to change with something like notepad
Old 08-01-2016, 10:00 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

That's true. I forgot that I have used notepad to access in the .vbo what firmware revision people are using in their machines to record specific files, etc.

I suppose you could change the PTP produced .vbo channel names, but whether the files would open correctly in CT2 is a question mark. And again, what would be the point?
Old 08-01-2016, 10:57 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

That's true. I forgot that I have used notepad to access in the .vbo what firmware revision people are using in their machines to record specific files, etc.

I suppose you could change the PTP produced .vbo channel names, but whether the files would open correctly in CT2 is a question mark. And again, what would be the point?
I think their is something I'm misunderstanding. If you want to compare data from two different cars and they have different channel names, can you do it? For instance, sharing data from a Porsche and a Ferrari. What happens if they have different channel names?
Old 08-01-2016, 11:25 PM
FergusH
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

That's not actually correct. Racelogic specifically supports .vbo files from Track Precision. I know there's been some collaboration between the two companies to make sure it works.
Old 08-01-2016, 11:41 PM
FergusH
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
I think their is something I'm misunderstanding. If you want to compare data from two different cars and they have different channel names, can you do it? For instance, sharing data from a Porsche and a Ferrari. What happens if they have different channel names?

Hey Matt,

That’s an interesting question. Based on my playing around today, I think the answer is yes: you could compare two Vbox files from two different cars that name channels differently. You’d have to make one of the .vbo files match the other, making all the channel names consistent. I imagine there’s only a few you care about, so it would only be a few minutes of work.

It would be nice to be able to do this in the Vbox Video app, when you’re building a scene file, so that the channel names are the same between cars without having to do any editing. I think that info would be in the .ref files but those files are encrypted so there’s probably not much chance of changing them. Racelogic might do it for you if you asked nicely.

Fergus
Old 08-02-2016, 12:20 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by FergusH
Hey Matt,

That’s an interesting question. Based on my playing around today, I think the answer is yes: you could compare two Vbox files from two different cars that name channels differently. You’d have to make one of the .vbo files match the other, making all the channel names consistent. I imagine there’s only a few you care about, so it would only be a few minutes of work.

It would be nice to be able to do this in the Vbox Video app, when you’re building a scene file, so that the channel names are the same between cars without having to do any editing. I think that info would be in the .ref files but those files are encrypted so there’s probably not much chance of changing them. Racelogic might do it for you if you asked nicely.

Fergus
Cool - thanks for the answer. I was thinking of when you want to share/compare data from different cars. I'm guessing (and I have no idea) that Racelogic is probably pretty good at using standard names for things.
Old 08-02-2016, 10:37 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

There's always this...
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: porsche track precision -> circuit tools problem