Notices

Traqmate Stops Production

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2016, 10:05 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

That really is a shame. The downside of the high integration of today's semiconductor devices is most are no longer a standard part and they are sole sourced. Once availability goes away for a component, it can be very difficult to get around the problem. Usually, the first few components converted to unobtainium can be designed around using substitute parts and minor design changes. However, eventually the other shoe will drop and one has to nearly redesign the whole thing because a critical component has gone unobtainium.

Another factor is pricing pressure. The cost of MEMs devices, which make up the accelerators and the GPS components have been dropping very quickly. Today, a 3 axis accelerometer is a $7 part, and a GPS receiver is about $20. To take advantage of the lower prices, TM would have to redesign their box. AIM came later, and enjoys a cost advantage over TM because of this.

-Mike
Old 06-10-2016, 01:11 AM
DC640
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I still use TM dash and been using it for past 1.5 years. I like it for my purpose. Yes I do miss the CAN info but I don't mind the video and racerender work up on a computer.

Interestingly, when I emailed Andre at TM, he says he will have a new firmware supporting GoPro 4 power trigger cable avilable w Traqdash USB port. Hmm but company is stopping production but still working on one last firmware?

I do like traqdash screen and rpm led shift lights. I wish aim made a touch screen that size (I guess vbox has something like that) at a reasonable cost and a better smartycam video quality (and easier software to configure) - I was helping a friend out trying to setup the overlay and oh man was that hard
Old 06-10-2016, 08:41 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,270 Likes on 1,865 Posts

Originally Posted by DC640
Interestingly, when I emailed Andre at TM, he says he will have a new firmware supporting GoPro 4 power trigger cable avilable w Traqdash USB port. Hmm but company is stopping production but still working on one last firmware?

I do like traqdash screen and rpm led shift lights. I wish aim made a touch screen that size (I guess vbox has something like that) at a reasonable cost
Well, when I started selling and using TM, there wasn't a video option!

Then, the ChaseCam PDR-100 was produced and was pretty bulletproof. Then, the Sony HD camcorder option was introduced (the later ones shook apart), then sales really too off when the GoPro Hero 2 option was offered, but then GoPro broke that functionality with the Hero 3. Then the Replay, then the Mobius.

As a dealer who has sold nearly a thousand of these units, I appreciate the simplicity. The simplicity of the software (and the perceived complexity of the AiM and MoTeC) was enough to keep me a TM groupie for a long time, but the moving target of the video camera integration is what killed it for me.

I MUCH prefer taking a support call to walk someone through a configuration question on AiM, a setup question on VBOX or a calibration question on MoTeC than ONE more question about "why the video isn't synced" on a TM.

For those TM users that the system works well and are familiar, it's good to go. I still like it, still use it and have a few used Basics for sale for half what an AiM Solo costs, but time has moved on.

VBOX OLED displays are not touch screen, but they are good! Good luck!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 06-10-2016, 09:37 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 967 Likes on 581 Posts

Technology always marches on. Just like computers, cell phones, etc. The only difference is that this is a much smaller market.
Old 06-10-2016, 11:29 AM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

When I hop in a car with data and its a TracqMate, I think "oh, a TracQate, don't see those much anymore."
Great kit in its day and still plenty useful. Sorry to see them stopping production.
Old 06-14-2016, 12:07 PM
trophy
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Yes, with the Vi-Pec V44 and V88, you can get quite a bit, depending on the age and firmware installed on the ECU. See here: http://www.aim-sportline.com/eng/dow...g.htm#racing48

The world has changed in the last decade...
Thanks Peter for taking the time to respond. Very Helpful. I like data, right now I do a very rough "Comparison" between my logged data from my ECU (Speed, Gear RPM and Throttle Position) on a separate screen to my Traqmate data, cumbersome but still provides great information.

I have brake pressure sensors at home ready to install and will be connecting to the ECU (May change) to log the data.

Of course if I can get all this via CAN to the AIM dashes all the better, and of course as you say the mission critical stuff can then be warnings on the AIM dash.

Thanks Again.

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
I base the decision on AiM products based on people's needs. If someone just wants to log data and get a basic display, then the Solo or Solo DL work terrific.

If you want a dash replacement, then you want an MXL2, MXS, or MXG. The hardware is the same so it comes down to what display you like.
Thanks Matt for taking the time...

Good to know that those 3 dashes are essentially the same and its a preference for the style.

As soon as I get the system back from Traqmate I will have to make some decisions, most likely I will be selling and buying an AIM Dash of some description....
Old 06-14-2016, 06:08 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Steven, I can certainly help. To integrate analog brake pressure sensors into the mix, you'll need a dash. The Solo DL only accepts ECU data, and the brake pressure sensors won't go through the ECU.

Keep us posted!
Old 06-14-2016, 07:41 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by trophy

Thanks Again.Thanks Matt for taking the time...

Good to know that those 3 dashes are essentially the same and its a preference for the style.

As soon as I get the system back from Traqmate I will have to make some decisions, most likely I will be selling and buying an AIM Dash of some description....
Any time. Let me know when you are ready to make the change and I'll give you a great trade in for any part of the Traqmate.
Old 06-14-2016, 08:53 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

I do offer Rennlist discounts equal...
Old 06-14-2016, 09:57 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I do offer Rennlist discounts equal...
So does Jerry (Amso3). Probably other folks too, though I didn't see them post in this thread.
Old 06-15-2016, 04:05 PM
trophy
Race Car

Thanks for all the advise guys, Much appreciated.

Steven, I can certainly help. To integrate analog brake pressure sensors into the mix, you'll need a dash. The Solo DL only accepts ECU data, and the brake pressure sensors won't go through the ECU.

Keep us posted!
Will do....

I have a 6 spare 0-5 volt inputs for the ECU so I have space for the Brake Pressure Sensors and can have the data in the ECU and then feed it to what ever Dash I end up with (I noticed there are a couple of ways to connect the ECU to the dash, using the serial output gives me tons of channels vs CAN). I already have additional ECU wiring going to the front of the car for my 997 Cup power steering so adding the wiring back to the ecu is super easy.
Old 06-15-2016, 04:45 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by trophy
Thanks for all the advise guys, Much appreciated.

Will do....

I have a 6 spare 0-5 volt inputs for the ECU so I have space for the Brake Pressure Sensors and can have the data in the ECU and then feed it to what ever Dash I end up with (I noticed there are a couple of ways to connect the ECU to the dash, using the serial output gives me tons of channels vs CAN). I already have additional ECU wiring going to the front of the car for my 997 Cup power steering so adding the wiring back to the ecu is super easy.
Something to research (I haven't done a ViPec v88) is that the sensors that you feed into it will be transmitted as voltage and in RS2. You will then have to make a match channel to convert them to pressures.
Old 06-15-2016, 05:07 PM
trophy
Race Car

Good point, I will add this to my list of notes

I am not sure what the output looks like from the v88, whether it outputs the Voltage or the Value (the logging, PC or ECU outputs the value). If it outputs volt then the math will be done, i assume if it outputs a value ie PSI then the AIM will display as such...

In the ViPec software there are calibration tables that does the math to then display the correct value.
Old 06-15-2016, 05:25 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Here are the Vi-Pec protocols http://www.aim-sportline.com/eng/dow...g.htm#racing48

When I was looking through, it looks like the added analog channels get output as voltage. AEM does the same thing, so I'm not surprised.
Old 06-15-2016, 05:41 PM
trophy
Race Car

Looks like the v88 with no adapter is the way to go, using the Serial TX/RX.

Setting up the math channels is not issue I assume, are there any limitations within the AIM dashes?

Quick Reply: Traqmate Stops Production