Notices

SmartyCam and MoTeC?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2018, 03:58 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,836 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Dave and Ellen Ferguson, Veracity Data, Paso Robles, CA. Excellent folks.

i2 Pro (extra-cost unlock code for all MoTeC dashes) is required to sync any NON-MoTeC VCS (video capture system) video TO the MoTeC data within the analysis window. MoTeC Display/Loggers come with i2 Standard, but i2 Pro is an extra cost option any dealer can sell you the code.

For the SmartyCam to work with the MoTeC (receive information, power and GPS information), you'll need an AiM ECU Bridge set up for MoTeC VCS Transmit template from the display logger and a GPS antenna for the SmartyCam (no GPS info comes from the MoTeC, even if it has a GPS-L10 or RaceGrade GPS unit). The power, ground and CAN+/CAN- leads generally are terminated in a connector to your MoTeC harness, depending on what you have.

Works fine, But, I've begun to sell a lot more HD2's because the connection to the MoTeC is easy and the visualization is so good.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 12-17-2018, 04:03 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Dave and Ellen Ferguson, Veracity Data, Paso Robles, CA. Excellent folks.

i2 Pro (extra-cost unlock code for all MoTeC dashes) is required to sync any NON-MoTeC VCS (video capture system) video TO the MoTeC data within the analysis window. MoTeC Display/Loggers come with i2 Standard, but i2 Pro is an extra cost option any dealer can sell you the code.

For the SmartyCam to work with the MoTeC (receive information, power and GPS information), you'll need an AiM ECU Bridge set up for MoTeC VCS Transmit template from the display logger and a GPS antenna for the SmartyCam (no GPS info comes from the MoTeC, even if it has a GPS-L10 or RaceGrade GPS unit). The power, ground and CAN+/CAN- leads generally are terminated in a connector to your MoTeC harness, depending on what you have.

Works fine, But, I've begun to sell a lot more HD2's because the connection to the MoTeC is easy and the visualization is so good.
Perfect thanks. I have the camera and an unlocked motec dash - so probably more cost efficient to get a harness versus start over.
Old 12-17-2018, 05:52 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

If you get the SCHD GP 2.2, I think you can do it without buying the ECU Bridge. Chris Brown and I were talking about it at PRI. It would be worth talking to him. David and Ellen at terrific too. The MoTeC camera is a great way to go too.
Old 12-17-2018, 06:12 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
If you get the SCHD GP 2.2, I think you can do it without buying the ECU Bridge. Chris Brown and I were talking about it at PRI. It would be worth talking to him. David and Ellen at terrific too. The MoTeC camera is a great way to go too.
Yeah Chris and I were just on the phone - my older version SmartyCam HD may be a pain to get to work. And if going with a brand new one, probably best to get the Motec one.

Was going to speak with David too in case he has a different thought on how to run the older camera
Old 12-17-2018, 06:56 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

You can check, but as recently as last week, we determined (David Ferguson did, actually, after I tried) that the SmartyCam GPv2.2 will NOT accept compound CAN messaging from a MoTeC logger.

I think David was going to try multiple single messages to see if that would be an effective workaround, but that protocol is not in the software and not possible at this time.
Old 12-17-2018, 07:04 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

I have the HD v1.0
Old 12-17-2018, 07:39 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

The HD v1.0 + ECU Bridge + GPS-08B will work with any recent (last ten years) MoTeC logger.
Old 12-17-2018, 07:44 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

The HD v1.0 + ECU Bridge + GPS-08B will work with any recent (last ten years) MoTeC logger.
excellent. And I use the VSM module to get a tone and then I2Pro will overlap the data and video?
Old 12-17-2018, 08:19 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

You can check, but as recently as last week, we determined (David Ferguson did, actually, after I tried) that the SmartyCam GPv2.2 will NOT accept compound CAN messaging from a MoTeC logger.

I think David was going to try multiple single messages to see if that would be an effective workaround, but that protocol is not in the software and not possible at this time.
There is another way that Chris and I discussed. We would have to try it, but no logical reason it wouldn't work on a SCHD GP 2.2.
Old 12-17-2018, 08:25 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by audipwr1
excellent. And I use the VSM module to get a tone and then I2Pro will overlap the data and video?
No, no VSM possible without a microphone input on the camera, which the five-pin EXT port on the v1.0 does not have. You can easily manually sync it. Just set the start and stop parameters of the logger and the camera to be the same. i2 Pro offers simple, easy to use manual controls to move the sync point forward and back the small amount for fine tuning.
Old 12-18-2018, 02:43 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

No, no VSM possible without a microphone input on the camera, which the five-pin EXT port on the v1.0 does not have. You can easily manually sync it. Just set the start and stop parameters of the logger and the camera to be the same. i2 Pro offers simple, easy to use manual controls to move the sync point forward and back the small amount for fine tuning.
The 2.2 version does have the mic in though? So I need to update?
Old 12-18-2018, 03:01 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

All the v2, v2.1 and v2.2 of both the all in one and the bullet version GP have 7-pin ports for the cable connecting to the logger, bridge or hub, on the camera side. Yes, they all have mic in.

I have a couple of used v2.1 SCHD GP’s for sale.
Old 12-18-2018, 03:03 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Again, you don’t HAVE to update to get video within the i2 Pro Analysis window, but you will if you want to use the VSM and have it sync automatically.
Old 12-18-2018, 03:10 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Again, you don’t HAVE to update to get video within the i2 Pro Analysis window, but you will if you want to use the VSM and have it sync automatically.
Yeah the whole point is to get i2pro to sync it. Trying to time the two without the tone is imperfect and requires manual work. Defeats one of the purposes for me going to motec from Aim
Old 12-18-2018, 11:24 PM
boxer-11
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
The MoTeC camera is a great way to go too.
+1 from my experience. I think you said you have the AIM camera already but if you are open to switching (maybe sell the SmartCam to help fund the switch??) the MoTeC V2 camera is completely bullet proof way to get video and data sync'd in i2pro -- just dump the video file in the right directory on your i2pro machine post session and open up the session data and it is sync'd automagically from there. It uses CAN bus messages to put sync data into the video file so it matches up to the data without any fuss.

The only thing I'm not a big fan of with the V2 camera is that it's a bit fiddly to get the uSD card out (and make sure it goes into the slot dead vertical when you put it back)! There's apparently some potential that one day they'll make it possible to d/l from the USB port on the camera to address this...but I'm not holding my breath on that.

Aside from that though, the V2 is really easy to work with once you have the directories set in i2pro (one time) and a regular work flow to d/l the data (ld) files and pull the video off the uSD card.

Quick Reply: SmartyCam and MoTeC?