Notices

AIM Car data from a 964

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2016, 03:57 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,809 Likes on 1,104 Posts
Default AIM Car data from a 964

Hey there - I have a SOLO DL + Smartycam HD. Love this setup. I'm swapping between my 997RS and 964. 997RS its plug and play to get car data.

964, how can I get some basics from the car? At a min would be RPM, throttle would be fantastic, I can use Gs to determine braking but 'real' data would be better. Maybe those 3 to start.

I'm not looking for race car level instrumentation, but some basics would add to the visibility of when I'm on gas, when I'm on brake, etc.

Any guidance on what I'd need? (and yes I know I'd need to swap configs on the devices when bringing between cars).
Old 04-19-2016, 04:10 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,270 Likes on 1,865 Posts

G's, speed, track mapping and lap time.

That's it for the Solo DL.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 04-19-2016, 04:13 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 967 Likes on 581 Posts

The Solo DL won't take any additional inputs, so you are out of luck with the 964. Looking at your build thread, if you want to add get some more data in that car, I would suggest an Evo4 with a G-Dash on a suction mount. That way you can hide the Evo4 under the dash, put in a brake pressure, throttle position, and steering sensor to have a great array of sensors, and then put the G-Dash up when you are at the track. This will be the least invasive install and still give you great data. I even make up a nice mount that goes with the G-Dash so you can put the GPS antenna with it so you don't have to permanently install that. It's a slick setup.

If you want to explore that setup, let me know and I can give you prices with a Rennlist discount.
Old 04-19-2016, 04:23 PM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 45 Posts

The Evo 4 is great. I believe you can get an RPM feed and throttle position on a 964 pretty easily by just by tapping in to the coil and the TPS wiring. The brake pressure probably needs a separate pressure sensor installed near the master cylinder. The problem with preOBDII cars , no truly simple way to plug and play.
Old 04-19-2016, 08:08 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,270 Likes on 1,865 Posts

I have new EVO4/G-Dash combos pre-configured for your specific application in stock, have done several.

But just connecting your Solo DL to switched power and attaching the SmartyCam will give you plenty to work on right now. Heck, you could SEE the tach with the SmartyCam, if you placed it well.

Be glad to help whatever you decide to do.

Quick Reply: AIM Car data from a 964