Notices

AIM RS2 and Race Render

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2016, 03:32 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Received 166 Likes on 111 Posts
Default AIM RS2 and Race Render

I have been trying to figure out the basics. I have some AIM data and a video file, and I want to overlay the data on the video. I have the latest RS2 and RR programs running on a PC.

I follow the RR instruction for using RS2 to create a compatible .csv file, as dscribed here: http://racerender.com/RR3/docs/HowTo-DataInput.html

When I get into RR, I go through the steps, but for some reason the rpm/tach signal cannot be displayed/overlayed onto the video. I can see the rpm/tach squiggly line data in RS2, so it appears to be logged. But again, once I am in RR, I cannot see it. I can see speed in mph, TPS and braking, but no tach.

Any help appreciated.
Old 04-22-2016, 06:19 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Also curious about synching....

I have a light in my dash that comes on when I apply brakes. It is easily seen in the video camera's FOV. Is there a way to use this to synch the video to the data (which also includes the brake on signal)? If so, how?
Old 04-22-2016, 06:24 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,346 Likes on 1,900 Posts

Have to assign the tach signal to the "gauge" in RR. And no problem on the sync especially with the light on the dash!

Establish start/finish first in RR.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 04-22-2016, 08:43 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Thanks Peter.

I cannot see how to do any of those things.

Anyone have further details?
Old 04-23-2016, 02:04 PM
qwk_croc
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After you select the video and .csv file in the project creation, make sure to check the "Tach RPM" box in the next window.

If you have done that, go to the Display Objects window, select the Tachometer (under Center Gauge for the simple overlay), and then click the Setup button. That should open a Display Object Properties box for the tach.

There should be a drop down called "Field:", Mine says (Automatic) in the drop down. Change it to you RPM data trace name. Mine is "BOSCH_RPM rpm", yours will be whatever its name is in RS2.

Last edited by qwk_croc; 04-23-2016 at 02:05 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 04-23-2016, 06:57 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Thanks. It seems the RR documentation does not match the current software, or at minimum is quite confusing. 'Automatic" is not apparently so.

Next up I need to figure out a scheme to use my brake light and logged brake light signal to synch.
Old 04-23-2016, 08:35 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,346 Likes on 1,900 Posts

There's nothing automatic about RR, TrackVision or Dashware...

The more you do it, the better you get.

If you have a data channel for the brake light switch, you could sync the data to your light on the video more easily.
Old 04-23-2016, 10:17 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Yeah, I wouldn't expect it to be automatic. But it would be nice to have a simple, step by step approach to achieve a basic "center of the fruit" result. Their documentation goes part way, for example telling me how to create an AIM output .csv file that their SW can deal with.

Their SW seems to automatically pick up some of the data fields, and the defaults are all set at automatic. So I'd expect it to pick up rpm. But I learned, just as you guys were guiding me, that I have to perform a manual step. So now I know that.

I do have a data channel connected to my brake light circuit. As we discussed when I purchased the gear, and in subsequent forum threads, brake on/off is my starting point. Perhaps later I will look at brake pressure or g forces wrt braking, but for now I just want to know when they are on and when they are off.

I remember another thread where I tried to get some advice for how to set this up on the AIM side, and folks here were kind to help me, which I appreciate. I vaguely remember Mr. Caddell chiming in wondering why I'd want a custom sensor here. I want to start out with a simple system is the answer.

So I have a data field for brake on/off, set up as a custom sensor on the AIM side. The voltage logged for this also drives a lamp in my dash in my camera's FOV. So hopefully I will figure out how to match the video frame when the light is first on to a data event. If I succeed, then presto, I have an easy way to synch.

Quick Reply: AIM RS2 and Race Render