Notices

Aim MXL Pista 944 install

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2016, 11:31 PM
drive418
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Aim MXL Pista 944 install

I am embarking on my first foray into the world of data. I have a used Aim MXL Pista with a smattering of sensors to put in. Here is the list:

Dash with harness
Can input
2x Wheel speed
GPS
Oil Temp
Oil Pressure
Water Temp
Water Pressure
Fuel Pressure
Wideband
Brake Pressure
Steering Angle
2x expansion hubs with room to go

I would like to do as much of this myself as possible. I am moderately handy, and just dangerous enough to dig myself into holes I can't get out of. Does anyone have any suggestions on what items I can tackle myself and which to get professional help with? Thanks!
Old 04-14-2016, 01:24 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 967 Likes on 581 Posts

You should be able to handle most of this yourself if you're pretty handy. The wheel speeds can be a bit tricky to get a good spot and you will probably have to make a mount for the sensor. GPS is easy as it's mostly routing the cable and drilling a hole for the cable.

Oil temp and pressure are just finding the right location and drillig/tapping it or adding a connector with a threaded hole. Same idea for the coolant. For coolant, people make adapters for the water lines like these
Amazon.com: Upgr8 Aluminum Water Temperature Sensor Adapter (38MM, Silver): Automotive Amazon.com: Upgr8 Aluminum Water Temperature Sensor Adapter (38MM, Silver): Automotive
Fuel pressure is the same idea. For the wideband, you will have to weld a bung onto the exhaust and put the sensor in. Not hard if you can weld. Brake pressure is easy with an adapter.

What do you have for a steering sensor? String pots are easy, the pulley setups a little harder.

Quick Reply: Aim MXL Pista 944 install