Cheap/Free Easy to Use Iphone App for HPDE & Track First Timer

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2024, 11:29 AM
jhenson29
Rennlist Member

Received 1,159 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by Tier1Terrier
Is there one with a GPS built in?
I thought GPS needed a clear view to the sky? If so, even if there is an OBD dongle that has GPS, it may not be the best option. Not my wheelhouse though. Just what I’ve read.
Old 06-15-2024, 05:18 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,004 Likes on 1,760 Posts

Typically the phone apps need three components, the GPS amplifier cradle, a BT OBDII dongle and the phone. Also, the OBDII is polled so slowly, there's huge lag in throttle reporting. Also, no brake info.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 06-15-2024, 06:05 PM
steveP911
Rennlist Member

Received 427 Likes on 221 Posts

@quickboxster
Can you recommend for me a good, inexpensive OBD dongle that pairs nicely with an IPhone, TrackAddict, and my 991.2? Is there one with a GPS built in?
See what ProCoach said above. Have you looked at the app's website which lists the compatible devices?

https://racerender.com/TrackAddict/docs/Interop.html

Last edited by steveP911; 06-15-2024 at 10:30 PM.
Old 06-16-2024, 01:10 PM
Skid
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by steveP911
See what ProCoach said above. Have you looked at the app's website which lists the compatible devices?

https://racerender.com/TrackAddict/docs/Interop.html
I wonder why Garmin Glo and Glo2 alone can’t get 10Hz through to TrackAddict? The TA page referenced above says 10Hz for Android but just 4Hz for iOS. And Garmin’s website states iOS won’t support a 10Hz update rate to _any_ app. TA recommends XGPS160 for iOS…. Is it confirmed the XGPS160 can in fact get 10Hz through to an iPhone?

I am going to get one of these external GPS units and it will do double duty to run Navionics to my iPad on a sailboat. Update rate is clearly not as big a deal at 7 knots but really would like to have 10Hz for track purposes.
Old 06-16-2024, 01:50 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

The XGPS160 is the most popular that I've seen used with iOS devices. I'm pretty sure 10Hz comes through, but it's been a long time since I tried to use a phone app.
Old 06-16-2024, 03:38 PM
steveP911
Rennlist Member

Received 427 Likes on 221 Posts

Of course I can’t verify the actual update rate within the system, but the TA app does post the rate at the top of the session stats. Usually 10.0 Hz but occasionally 1.0 Hz if I mess up something in the pre session setup. Leads me to believe it’s valid.

i do have an iPhone.
The following users liked this post:
ProCoach (06-16-2024)
Old 06-16-2024, 06:11 PM
quickboxster
Instructor

Received 98 Likes on 59 Posts

@quickboxster
Can you recommend for me a good, inexpensive OBD dongle that pairs nicely with an IPhone, TrackAddict, and my 991.2? Is there one with a GPS built in?
My dongle is old, used it for years and is wifi, polling rate is positively glacial. The thing here is what I threw in the car is exactly what you asked for, cheap and easy, your expectations here should be for the most rudimentary video and some cool graphics... nothing to use for serious "analytics". One issue with mine is it's long (rectangular) and its placement lends itself to getting kicked off if I forget when I get in the car so I have to remember my foot placement. Look for a stubby BT dongle, OBD is a standard applied to any vehicle sold in NA so it doesn't matter what you buy, there are dozens on amazon and you can test the dongle with a free OBD app like OBD Fusion. This is about what you can expect;
so I wouldn't spend a lot of time on this route. As you can see mounting the phone is critical, this is from a ram mount, suction cup'd to my engine cover, not good but what I had time to throw in before heading to Laguna. I ended up 3d printing a mount that clamps to my roll bar and the phone is held much more steady now but that's as far as I'll go spending time on this setup because there's just no real return other than some video to share with family.
The following 2 users liked this post by quickboxster:
Matt Romanowski (06-16-2024), Tier1Terrier (06-16-2024)
Old 06-17-2024, 02:54 AM
Nugs.
7th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I've tried a bunch over the years and recently I've been impressed with Dragy Lap.
The dragy device itself is a nice piece of hardware (25hz refresh rate, multiple GPS systems, long battery life) and is similarly priced to other GPS modules.
The app is decent for quick on phone review, it does dual camera video overlay quickly on the phone, and you can export the data for analysis elsewhere.

The app is still being updated with more features and they say they have an ODB dongle coming as well.
Old 06-17-2024, 10:37 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

I think there are other circuit-centric apps far more refined and mature than the Dragy Lap, which is based on the performance testing meter hardware.
Old 06-18-2024, 11:48 AM
Skid
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
The XGPS160 is the most popular that I've seen used with iOS devices. I'm pretty sure 10Hz comes through, but it's been a long time since I tried to use a phone app.
. Thanks, to close this off I had the 10Hz on iOS confirmed by the manufacturer.
The following users liked this post:
ProCoach (06-18-2024)
Old 06-18-2024, 01:17 PM
stellman
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Nugs.
I've tried a bunch over the years and recently I've been impressed with Dragy Lap.
The dragy device itself is a nice piece of hardware (25hz refresh rate, multiple GPS systems, long battery life) and is similarly priced to other GPS modules.
The app is decent for quick on phone review, it does dual camera video overlay quickly on the phone, and you can export the data for analysis elsewhere.

The app is still being updated with more features and they say they have an ODB dongle coming as well.
Yeah, I'm interested in the progress of the Dragy Lap system. They seem to be developing it pretty quickly. Hardware is nice, for sure.
Old 06-18-2024, 03:38 PM
Speed2k
Burning Brakes

Received 299 Likes on 201 Posts

XGPS160 is 10HZ, the XGPS150 is only 5HZ, on the iphone. On the XGPS150, iirc, you need to switch it to 5hz using the app, in order for it to work. I haven't used it in a while, but doesn't TA tell you what the polling rate is?

Quick Reply: Cheap/Free Easy to Use Iphone App for HPDE & Track First Timer