Notices

Autosport labs MK4 data logger install in a 718

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2023, 08:28 PM
edub
Pro

Received 347 Likes on 191 Posts
Default Autosport labs MK4 data logger install in a 718

I have a street driven 718 so an inobtrusive but accurate data logger was my goal. I still need to hookup a cellular antenna so that I can live stream video and data to podium (https://podium.live/) but here are a few pictures.

To get the Race Capture app on the PCM - I added Android auto support to the PCM. This is a native capability in the PCM which is well documented on rennlist already.

Then I added a screencast ability to my android phone, this lets me cast any application to the PCM. This is also currently why I can't use the PCM with a touch screen interface, but I may be able to solve that soon another way.

The logger itself is installed where the spare tire pump lives. I just drilled a few holes for the various hookups (cellular, power, CANbus, analogue pickups) in the side of the case. I moved the spare pump to under the passenger seat. There is a recession there where the amplifier would go if I had such a thing.

The logger is hooked up to power and CANbus which is already present on the DSC controller, but this would be similar to the Porsche suspension controller - with a either always on power (I use an ignition switch on tap instead), the CAN High and Low, and some wheel sensor taps which I have yet to figure out, but hopefully will indicate suspension position and velocity.

The logger itself can register GNSS at 25hz, a IMU at 25Hz and has inputs for both digital and serial sensors up to 1000Hz. It also includes some scripting capabilities to do additional math channels which is pretty cool.

The following 4 users liked this post by edub:
Matt Romanowski (09-18-2023), ProCoach (09-18-2023), Speed2k (09-28-2023), Track Drive 925 (07-13-2024)
Old 09-18-2023, 08:46 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,270 Likes on 1,865 Posts

Nice! Brent and his crew have made serious strides. It's a great value and the telemetry works well.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 07-13-2024, 01:30 PM
Track Drive 925
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by edub

Then I added a screencast ability to my android phone, this lets me cast any application to the PCM. This is also currently why I can't use the PCM with a touch screen interface, but I may be able to solve that soon another way.
Hi, I am in the process of adding tire and brake temperature sensors to my car (Corvette C7, no P-car yet... ) and plan to add a RaceCapture to log that temperature data and display it in the car via phone, or better yet the car's own infotainment display via Android Auto (unfortunately, I have not yet found a way to add data to the otherwise great onboard Cosworth video logger aka PDR).

What Android phone, OS version and screencast software did you use?

Best regards!
​​​​​​
Old 07-13-2024, 02:01 PM
edub
Pro

Pixel 3a, Version 12, Screen2Auto software
Old 07-14-2024, 05:39 AM
Track Drive 925
3rd Gear

Pixel 3a, Version 12, Screen2Auto software
Thanks. Is your Screen2Auto from the Google Play Store (currently at version 1.9 by "Skill Crafters")?
I guess your phone is non-rooted?
Old 07-14-2024, 10:23 AM
edub
Pro

I side loaded mine, I wasn't aware of a google store version. The screen cast software challenges some android auto tenants so likely will never be on the play store. https://inceptive.ru/ was the site I got it from.
Old 07-14-2024, 05:41 PM
Track Drive 925
3rd Gear

I side loaded mine, I wasn't aware of a google store version. The screen cast software challenges some android auto tenants so likely will never be on the play store. https://inceptive.ru/ was the site I got it from.
The play store version seems to be some kind of ad player; the version via your link is totally different.

But, could not get it to work yet; I am not sure what to install else for s2a to work; I am lost in countless forum messages (in other forums) about a varying number of prerequisites, including installing Magisk including a full data wipe and needing to flash.
Is it really that many steps, or is there an easier way?

Can you give me the steps you did for it to work?

Quick Reply: Autosport labs MK4 data logger install in a 718