Notices

Solo DL2 in a 986 boxster

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2021, 10:23 PM
saamyjoon
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Water temp and Intake air temp may be the only worthwhile things you can get from ISO 9141/2. RPM and TPS are definitely too slow to be usable.

Used to be that if you select an ECU Stream to get some of the channels from that, you couldn't use the conventional square-wave RPM signal under Channels. But that seems to be fixed.

Sounds like you have a plan!
Good to know. I'll let you know how it works out.
Old 02-15-2021, 11:26 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 967 Likes on 581 Posts

You have been able to run RPM and K-Line / CAN on the Solo 2 DL for a long time. I have not tried new hardware on the 986 with the ISO protocol. It worked, however slowly, on the SDL. The S2DL works slightly different on the k-line and I would want to test it before I committed that it worked the same.
The following users liked this post:
saamyjoon (02-16-2021)
Old 02-16-2021, 09:09 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,270 Likes on 1,865 Posts

Considering it was close to a year before K-Line handling was supported in the latest Gen hardware (the S2DL), I don’t blame you for not testing it. I haven’t heard of that connection protocol working with the 986.1, on any logger.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 02-22-2021, 02:08 AM
saamyjoon
Instructor

Update on how it worked out:

I wired the K-line in the 986 to an MXS. The goal was just to grab water temp from there (and a few other things if they were available). It does work, but the update frequency is so low that the dash will actually show a blank “tile” between updates, which happens maybe once every 10 seconds or so. So what was happening is the Aim would show water temp for 1-2 seconds, blank ~10 seconds, repeat. (Same for IAT.) So it’s possible to get data this way, but it’s not ideal given the Aim decides to not leave the last reading up. I didn’t look if there was a way to configure a timing interval before Aim showed a blank.

I had an Aim water sensor ready to go, and given how trivial it is, I installed it instead of trying to figure out how to configure the MXS to not show a blank. I installed the temp sensor in the coolant drain plug, which is conveniently M10x1.0 like the Aim sensor.

Old 02-22-2021, 09:10 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Thanks for doing that test. The SPB, required to be within ‘97-‘99 model year, is just a trace too early for the simple communications that emerged as soon as 2002 in the 986-996 cars.

Another popular comp car, the NB (1.8 liter, 1999-2003) Miata has the same issue.

These cars are nearly twenty-five years old!
saamyjoon (02-22-2021)
Old 02-23-2021, 08:26 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 967 Likes on 581 Posts

Originally Posted by saamyjoon
Update on how it worked out:

I wired the K-line in the 986 to an MXS. The goal was just to grab water temp from there (and a few other things if they were available). It does work, but the update frequency is so low that the dash will actually show a blank “tile” between updates, which happens maybe once every 10 seconds or so. So what was happening is the Aim would show water temp for 1-2 seconds, blank ~10 seconds, repeat. (Same for IAT.) So it’s possible to get data this way, but it’s not ideal given the Aim decides to not leave the last reading up. I didn’t look if there was a way to configure a timing interval before Aim showed a blank.

I had an Aim water sensor ready to go, and given how trivial it is, I installed it instead of trying to figure out how to configure the MXS to not show a blank. I installed the temp sensor in the coolant drain plug, which is conveniently M10x1.0 like the Aim sensor.
You made the correct choice IMHO. You could try changing the polling on the coolant to 1 Hz, but I don't think it would have changed things. Once you have a dash, addng the coolant sensor is easy enough and they are not too expensive. Spec Boxster is a class that IMHO data can make a significant difference in car and driver.
saamyjoon (02-23-2021)
Old 02-23-2021, 11:26 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Data, in itself and by itself, is just a record of what went on.

When leveraged in many different ways, it’s a powerful tool.

Especially in a spec or very competitive class of racing.
saamyjoon (02-23-2021)
Old 02-23-2021, 12:50 PM
saamyjoon
Instructor

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
You made the correct choice IMHO. You could try changing the polling on the coolant to 1 Hz, but I don't think it would have changed things. Once you have a dash, addng the coolant sensor is easy enough and they are not too expensive. Spec Boxster is a class that IMHO data can make a significant difference in car and driver.
Yeah I’m excited to start gathering data and using it to improve my driving. (Water temp and similar I’ll be using to make sure I don’t destroy the car.)

Just for posterity: you’re correct about the 1hz refresh rate. I tried that when I first installed it, and it doesn’t work. The above description of what happens is with it set to 1hz.
ProCoach (02-23-2021)
Old 02-24-2021, 04:57 PM
Slakker
Race Car

Received 270 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by katmeho
Fair feedback for sure. I may just dump AIM altogether and move to a Vbox HD2. Any suggestions or concerns for that choice in our platform? Im assuming that we would tap into the CAN Kline with it...but when I look here

https://www.vboxmotorsport.co.uk/ind...uments#Porsche

I see no support for our car. Sweet.
Racelogic was actually really good to work with when I tried to get them to produce a CAN file for a '99 996 C2 6MT. I didn't have the resistors plumbed correctly and so I never got a clean recording but on the '99 C2 6MT, the ECU is the only place the CAN exists so I had to add wires to the ecu harness to connect it. The MXS worked fine though (built-in resistor) for RPM, Oil Temp and Water Temp. I think I had throttle position as well but the readings were always wonky.

FYI, I have several VBOX Lite's and Pro's for sale or rent and a used HD2 on the way for rental only. I also have OLED's and a Solo DL for rent or sale.

I'm not intentionally trying to start an enterprise, I've just upgraded 4 times since I started my latest project. But a 2 Camera VBOX Lite and Solo DL combo provide everything I need to easily improve my lap times and my car's setup.

Last edited by Slakker; 02-24-2021 at 06:47 PM.

Quick Reply: Solo DL2 in a 986 boxster