Notices

AIM SmartyCam 1080p??

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2019, 05:30 PM
LandShark
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Default AIM SmartyCam 1080p??

Any news on if AIM will be updating their SmartyCam to 1080p (or higher resolution)? Nowadays, 1080p is a bare minimum, and it certainly is the area where it's lacking IMO. I really want to get a SmartyCam to work with my Solo2DL, but don't want to get one if there's a newer version in the horizon.
Old 06-02-2019, 06:28 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,892 Likes on 1,696 Posts

No go on 1080p for an AiM camera as small in form factor and at the target price of the SCHD, anytime soon.

While it is a goal, the technical and cost challenges of building a processor, board, GPU and CPU of a camera that can in real-time, render and encode digital information ONTO a true HD (1080p) video, while it is happening, are huge.

There are currently three devices that "write" digital information (speed, lap times, g's, track map, throttle, brake, RPM, among others) to the on track video real-time, suitable for playing right away.

The SmartyCam HD, 720P but uses H.264 compression codec, which is pretty good. $999 Makes a video that can be played with information on it. Period.

The MoTeC V2, 720P and 1080p, really small, pretty good but much more limited in the information that can be put on the background of the video, $1990
Makes a video that can be played with information on it OR auto synced with the associated and downloaded separately data, within the MoTeC i2 Standard and i2 Pro analysis software.

Video VBOX HD2, 1080p (picture in picture, both streams 1080p if you get a second camera), separate box, includes the logger, GPS, power, external mic, $2620 base model
Makes a video that can be played with information on it OR auto synced within Circuit Tools analysis software, all the information on one card.

Personally, while 1080p would be nice in the SCHD from AiM, it's not a deal breaker for most and you can pick out detail without too much difficulty. I think you'll be safe buying one for use the rest of this year. But you never know?

I know how long it takes for the Italians to do things...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 06-03-2019, 10:32 AM
alexaqui
Racer

I recently purchased and installed an AIM system and have been patiently waiting for the 1080p or better camera, since 720p at this day and age just stinks. As you think about it though, what is the value of your time worth? The recent GoPros are not cheap and reportedly have reliability issues. I personally have had trouble with GoPros shutting down on track, not running properly on USB power, and generally being a pain to activate while wearing a helmet and gear. Then you have the hassle of buying the software to smash it together, synchronize it, manage it, etc... How much is your time worth? The cost of GoPro + software is close to half of the AIM system that works out of the box. I have decided to purchase one as soon as my budget allows (pending repairs on my track car).
Old 06-05-2019, 10:43 AM
LandShark
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys. I guess I'll pick up one soon then.
Old 10-04-2021, 01:18 AM
srwhitman
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts

Any idea ETA for 1080P? I thought they had said it is "in the works" but that was like a year ago. covid, I know, but still...
Old 10-04-2021, 08:07 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 783 Likes on 508 Posts

AiM always has things in the works, but COVID has made all sorts of challenges no one saw coming. Chips that were common place are now backordered years, others that were available are out of stock by the time the development boards are made. It's pretty crazy, but I think customers will be happy in the end
Old 10-04-2021, 10:55 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,892 Likes on 1,696 Posts

Originally Posted by srwhitman
Any idea ETA for 1080P? I thought they had said it is "in the works" but that was like a year ago. covid, I know, but still...
The US importer and a majority of dealers have had a challenge the last sixteen months, more so in the last six months, getting a reliable supply of cameras as they now exist. AiM Italy has had a challenge the sourcing of imaging sensors, GPS chips and other components required to maintain minimum stock levels, not to mention current demand.

As a long time high-volume US AiM dealer, these sort of upgrades are always in the works, and the camera in particular is high on their internal job list. But, it’s a big job list with worldwide demand for an increasingly broad line of products and offerings.

While it’s safe to say that not only is a 1080p capable camera coming, but also that it may include some really useful enhancements, it is not likely to be released soon. The technical challenges of real time rendering in 1080p are substantial and do not exist at the price point desired. Only two other systems, both of them two and three times as expensive as the currently offered SmartyCam exist now. So, that is an important consideration. AiM has always offered very good value, and the new camera has to continue that.

We’ll know when we get them!

Last edited by ProCoach; 10-04-2021 at 10:57 PM.
Old 10-04-2021, 11:51 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 783 Likes on 508 Posts

The challenge has been a year and will likely be another year according to the semiconductor industry and the chip buyers and manufacturers. That hasn't stopped AiM, but has slowed things quiet a bit. I don't think there has been anyone else in the motorsports/OEM data industry that has released and kept going at their pace. While I know it's a significant struggle for everyone, they have done a great job and really taken care of their customers and dealers. I think people will continue to like the new product offerings and capabilities when they are available.

Quick Reply: AIM SmartyCam 1080p??