Cayman with M4 ABS oil level checking

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2019, 04:44 PM
CTS
Racer

Received 218 Likes on 87 Posts
Default Cayman with M4 ABS oil level checking

Gents,

I have a 2009 Cayman S here in the shop that has had Bosch M4 ABS installed. It appears that the engine oil level can no longer be checked due the instrument cluster not receiving the G force information from the stock ABS which indicates that the car is on level ground. Has anyone come up with a workaround for this?

The car is equipped with a Motec dash so I can send CAN messages to the instrument cluster.

Thanks,

Chris Cervelli
Cervelli Technical Service
Old 03-26-2019, 05:07 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,331 Likes on 1,891 Posts

Call Colin Harmer at Creative Motorsports Solutions, a leading Bosch dealer, in Daytona Beach. He's in Laguna Seca right now, but call. He is also a MoTeC dealer and provided me with useful templates for workarounds LIKE this one. Then, you could send the info to the dash.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 03-26-2019, 07:26 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 833 Likes on 418 Posts

I am wrestling with this right now, but for a different reason. My Motec is in front of the stock dash so I can no longer see the oil level LCD!

I’m not 100% sure, but here’s how I believe this system works. The CAN message for oil level is sent to the stock dash in “raw” form, seemingly in Ohms. The stock dash then takes that messages and turns it into the bar graph for level. The dash has some type of logic to know how long to wait until the Ohms reading will be accurate.

What I think you could do is wire the oil level sensor direct to an analog input for the Motec, and then baseline at known oil levels to get a decent reading. This is what I am planning to do as an interim solution until I fit a proper Gill or Reventec capacitive sensor.

the level sensor also has the oil temp in it. You can leave this to transmits over CAN as it does not require the dash to function.
Old 03-27-2019, 09:12 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 892 Likes on 546 Posts

Originally Posted by CTS
Gents,

I have a 2009 Cayman S here in the shop that has had Bosch M4 ABS installed. It appears that the engine oil level can no longer be checked due the instrument cluster not receiving the G force information from the stock ABS which indicates that the car is on level ground. Has anyone come up with a workaround for this?

The car is equipped with a Motec dash so I can send CAN messages to the instrument cluster.

Thanks,

Chris Cervelli
FYI - I have never had that problem and I have had the M4 system installed in my last two cars. Other than the wheel speed sensors, I did not lose any other functionality.
Old 03-27-2019, 11:00 AM
CTS
Racer

38D and Frank 993 C4S,

The Cayman in question has a DFI engine, not an M96. 38D's description sounds like an M96 oil checking procedure. Please confirm we are talking about the same engine.

Thanks,

Chris Cervelli
Old 03-27-2019, 04:26 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 833 Likes on 418 Posts

I was talking about a 987.1 engine. Not sure how different the DFIs are to be honest.
Old 03-27-2019, 04:49 PM
CTS
Racer

It is a lot different.

I don't think you'll be able to get the stock sensor to work with your Motec dash. I have used a Gill sensor in a dry sump tank, and it is very good. It would be cool to use that in place of the stock sensor.

The oil temperature sensor in the electronic dipstick is not accurate enough to give useful data. It helps with the oil level checking logic and also gives oil temp data to the ECU which uses it to change the cam control logic. Neither of these require the sensor to be accurate or precise.

Originally Posted by 38D
I was talking about a 987.1 engine. Not sure how different the DFIs are to be honest.
Old 03-27-2019, 05:29 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 892 Likes on 546 Posts

Originally Posted by CTS
38D and Frank 993 C4S,

The Cayman in question has a DFI engine, not an M96. 38D's description sounds like an M96 oil checking procedure. Please confirm we are talking about the same engine.

Thanks,

Chris Cervelli
987.1 and 987.2 for me
Old 03-27-2019, 08:15 PM
Rob in VA
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I have a similar car, ex-imsa ST cayman. Without an accusump or deep pan, just throw in 8 quarts after each oil/filter change.

Quick Reply: Cayman with M4 ABS oil level checking