Notices

Audible alarms

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2019, 07:18 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 383 Likes on 251 Posts
Default Audible alarms

Looking for ideas before I go and make my own.

Rugged radios has a unit THts pretty close, but may be a little too basic. https://www.ruggedradios.com/index.p...roducts_id=850

Some of the aviation ones look great but are too complicated/expensive.
Old 03-04-2019, 07:33 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,340 Likes on 1,895 Posts

Just so happens that I have the perfect tool for you, your car and your data system (SO glad you made the right choice on that front). In my opinion, the RR unit is too basic, too limited and may require redundant sensors.

Will send you an email with more details on this, but RaceVoice LLC offers an easy to configure, plug and play hardware and software solution to deliver as much or as little information as you want.

Health alarms (low pressures, high temps), OVBO (overrev/bogging) alerts, vMax and vMax prompts (incredible driver aid), shift up and shift down prompts, all in a plug and play box from your CAN out on your EVO5.

About $700. Add two pins to your 22-pin connector, load an .XC1 file and away you go! Even comes with high grade earbuds, or an IMSA helmet splitter cable (so you can run a radio AND this, if your helmet is so equipped).
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 03-04-2019, 08:07 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,006 Likes on 601 Posts

Here's the website for the RaceVoice https://www.racevoice.com/shop/

It's interesting that it can not work on the CANbus with any other devices. That is very limiting for all the people who have started adding IR temps, TPMS, etc.

The folks who have used it say they really like it. Watching the video, the audio and speed displays do not match. I would guess that is YouTube, but I haven't asked anyone who used the RaceVoice yet.

Old 03-04-2019, 08:12 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Thanks Peter, but even that is way more complicated than I'm looking for... Really just looking for a tone generator. I just want a pleasent tone not a buzzer/horn. So that's means a complex sound generator VS a occilator. I can make something for like 20bucks (most of the cost are the damn plugs). So the 85 price point is about right, but would like to be able to set my own tones.
Old 03-04-2019, 08:41 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
the audio and speed displays do not match. I would guess that is YouTube, but I haven't asked anyone who used the RaceVoice yet.
It was in the editing, not in real life.

The multiplex (multi device) CAN issue will be resolved sooner rather than later, which will expand the usefulness of this device to a whole different audience, as well.

I don’t see very many track day and club racing applications using their second CAN, but of course, YMMV. I’ve sold several RV’s in the past week, so there is clearly a demand.

Sounds good, Jeff. Can’t wait for you to get back out again. We’ll spend some time together, for sure.
Old 03-04-2019, 09:18 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ProCoach

The multiplex (multi device) CAN issue will be resolved sooner rather than later, which will expand the usefulness of this device to a whole different audience, as well.

I don’t see very many track day and club racing applications using their second CAN, but of course, YMMV. I’ve sold several RV’s in the past week, so there is clearly a demand.

Sounds good, Jeff. Can’t wait for you to get back out again. We’ll spend some time together, for sure.
No doubt there is demand for the RaceVoice - it's basically what the OP wanted (in some form). Will the current devices be able to receive a FW or program update to allow the CAN to work with other devices?
Old 03-04-2019, 10:56 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ProCoach

New motor is in, and making alot more power... There was definitely something wrong with the old one. Headed to cmp in two weeks to shake this one down.. Wish me luck..

I'll hopefully be able to pickup where we left off in May, still sorting out finances..
Old 03-05-2019, 04:30 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Good luck! Keep me posted.
Old 03-12-2019, 11:45 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Found my solution. 123electronics sells this little mp3 player module. Can work in three modes. For now it just plays one track (airbus master alarm) on repeat. But can also play 1 of 4 tracks chosen by switch closure. Or even better, can play 1 of 3000 tracks chosen by rs232..
Attached Images  
Old 03-13-2019, 11:24 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Cool!
Old 03-13-2019, 11:32 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by jscott82
Found my solution. 123electronics sells this little mp3 player module. Can work in three modes. For now it just plays one track (airbus master alarm) on repeat. But can also play 1 of 4 tracks chosen by switch closure. Or even better, can play 1 of 3000 tracks chosen by rs232..
Neat. Do you have the part number for it? Is it just a voltage in switch that then makes the audio tone?
Old 03-13-2019, 11:57 AM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

It is pretty cool, Fn-bc04 is the pn. It has 4mb of onboard storage, so SD card is not required.

I have it configured to simply play track 1 on repeat as soon as its powered up. Only takes 500ms to power up, so it's pretty seemless. There are other control options, but this is the most straight forward.
Old 03-13-2019, 02:53 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 894 Likes on 547 Posts

Originally Posted by jscott82
Please keep us posted. An audible low oil pressure alarm would be great.
Old 03-25-2019, 10:02 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Proof of concept works great. Ill need to incorporate a mixer of some type when I get a radio, but for now this works very well.
Attached Images  
Old 03-25-2019, 10:05 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Nice work!

Quick Reply: Audible alarms