Brand New SmartyCam HD 2.1 Can't Update Firmware

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2018, 08:27 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 808 Likes on 494 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach

No need for two laptops with this camera, Frank. The issues are only with fw update and config transmission.

The SP3 works fine for pulling data, playing video and even using CompareMyLaps for side by side.

How many times did you change your config in your old camera at the track? You didn’t need to, and you won’t with this, after it’s set up.

My money is on that the camera is fine.
i actually have one configuration file for each car so i do actually change them as i switch cars before I go to the track. i also had the same problem with uploading new tracks. I’m so curious to find out what’s wring. Will report back!
Old 01-11-2019, 11:52 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 808 Likes on 494 Posts

Originally Posted by mmuller
I have had this exact experience as Frank. This is when I try to use my MS surface laptop to do it. But if I go back to an old Lenovo laptop I have, works as expected. I believe it has to do with the type of USB chipsets that newer laptops have, but don’t remember where I read this. I have tried using an external usb hub to see if that changed the problem but it doesn’t.

Frank, if you have access to an older machine, give that a try. I bet it works.
Bingo!

There seems to be nothing wrong with the camera. I used an old $500 Aspire laptop and the update and tracks transferred just fine.

Problem is that this does not work with a Surface Pro 3, even with a powered USB hub. I never had a problem with my old original Smartycam and Smartycam GP. The problem is only with the new Smartycam HD 2.1. Guess I will be lugging both laptops to the track from now on.

Quick Reply: Brand New SmartyCam HD 2.1 Can't Update Firmware