Notices

Mounting Options for Aim MXm in 997

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2018, 12:30 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 323 Likes on 179 Posts
Default Mounting Options for Aim MXm in 997

Matt just hooked me up with an awesome Aim MXm system!
Thanks Matt.

It's a fairly new device and there aren't many mounts on the market.
I have it mounted temporarily to the cup holder assembly which pivots out and it sits at an angle.
The viewing angle is decent but I'm hoping to get some ideas to get it a bit higher and a bit more elegant.

One idea I had was to fabricate a plate that could replace the Dash stopwatch and run the AIM harness through the existing
hole in the dash.

I'd like it mounted near the steering wheel but the depth of the device with the harness attached is tricky given I'm running a stock
wheel with an Airbag.

Any ideas in and outside the box would be appreciated.
Old 11-27-2018, 02:32 PM
facelvega
Rennlist Member

Received 102 Likes on 57 Posts

Some info on running AIM out the Chrono Wart...
Old 11-27-2018, 03:19 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by facelvega

Awesome. I'd love it if I could make it work on the steering column but I think it'll be too tight.
Seems pretty easy at the Wart.
Old 11-30-2018, 02:29 PM
BillNye
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I suspect that this won't fit with a stock wheel, but if it does you might consider inquiring if they'll cut a version compatible with the MXm.
https://lnengineering.com/products/b...ger-mount.html

I don't know how sturdy this mount is, but I'd be willing to give it a shot based on the price alone. Could combine it with a RAM ball mount as necessary.
https://www.proclipusa.com/product/8...p-center-mount

Might be able to fab a mount that utilizes these two mounting holes for the cluster instead of hacking up the steering column trim.

Old 11-30-2018, 08:06 PM
facelvega
Rennlist Member

Mounted forward as I did in the pictures, I was still able to press buttons on the dash while completely strapped in. You would want to mock things up to make sure your seat position and arm length makes that possible. I think the air vent mount positions it well within reach also.

I did not want to mount it on the steering column. I tried it there, literally with Velcro and duct tape, as an experiment. It blocked warning lights, oil and temp gauges, etc. The ability to make sure Traction Control is off, etc. is something I use every session. I was also not crazy about reaching through the steering wheel to do things. While having one hand off the wheel while turning is not ideal, it is possible if the dash is NOT behind the wheel.

Someone who has actually put it on the steering cowl, please chime in! I know race cars use AIM dashes, do drivers push buttons while racing, or do they use the buttons on the race wheel?
Old 12-01-2018, 01:40 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

I'll get in there today and remove the wart and see what's involved with mounting it like that.
I like the idea of not blocking the dash gauges.
Old 12-01-2018, 01:43 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by facelvega

What are you bolting into, the wart or the dash frame underneath?

Trending Topics

Old 12-01-2018, 04:50 PM
facelvega
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Hella-Buggin'
What are you bolting into, the wart or the dash frame underneath?
Into the wart. I can shoot some more pictures and post on Monday, if that would be helpful.
Old 12-01-2018, 10:52 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Most helpful. I'm surprised it can manage the weight. It's just plastic isn't it?
Old 12-02-2018, 03:49 PM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I mounted a Pista Dash on the plastic cover around the steering column and cut a hole to allow the harness to get under the dash. The MXM is smaller and should be easy

Old 12-03-2018, 11:35 AM
facelvega
Rennlist Member

So, some wart related pictures - car is in date mode, not track mode, so the chrono is in currently. You need a set of plastic trim tools, if you do not already have them - 1000's of uses...

The 4 spring clips hold the wart in VERY securely. The only worry I might have is that it could fly off on hard impact. If you are concerned about that, I would safety wire it to the structural cross beam inside the dash (visible below the wart opening) so it cannot go far. The chrono wire is attached, with the AIM wire tethered and ready for use:

Chrono unplugged, ready for removal:

Looking down into the wart hole:

My small dash mounting, various views. I just went to Home Depot, got miscellaneous screws, nuts and angle brackets. The back plate is from the electrical department, an outdoor stainless steel switch cover plate.

This cryptic photo is where the wires go from the frunk through the firewall into the dash behind the wart. It is looking down, with the windshield to the left, and the steering and brakes just off screen to the top. About halfway down, you can see the corner of the black battery tray, and to the left of that red and black wires run through a round, felt covered opening that goes through the firewall to the interior.

Old 12-03-2018, 11:36 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,802 Likes on 1,655 Posts

Nice! Best use of the wart!
Old 12-03-2018, 12:26 PM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Finally understand what the wart is.
Old 12-03-2018, 12:38 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Thank you for the pics and ideas. I popped the wart of yesterday to get a look at what's going on. I may fabricate an aluminum plate that covers the entire Wart Hole in the dash and mount the AIM on that. If not, using a spare Wart housing seems like an easy and functional way to go.

Quick Reply: Mounting Options for Aim MXm in 997