Notices

RS3 no wi-fi tab (windows XP)

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2018, 08:14 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,327 Likes on 1,890 Posts

You should expect no problems or workarounds required by Windows operating under Boot Camp. I do remember a Bluetooth driver issue from that era with the MBP (had one at that time) but that is not required by any of the AiM hardware and software interface.

You may be so happy with it that you keep it. Only major downside from current hardware is battery life.
Old 10-26-2018, 11:47 AM
JGM3
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
You should expect no problems or workarounds required by Windows operating under Boot Camp. I do remember a Bluetooth driver issue from that era with the MBP (had one at that time) but that is not required by any of the AiM hardware and software interface.

You may be so happy with it that you keep it. Only major downside from current hardware is battery life.
Installed RS3 & its all working very well indeed, thus far!

Now I'll just need to get up to speed on both operating systems (mac & win 10) & wave goodbye to XP forever!

When it comes to Windows updates in bootcamp, is it safe to just let Windows do its thing?

This old 2012 MacBook Pro is a lovely machine compared to my old (early 2000) Dell Inspiron that's for sure!

thanks again Coach!

Old 10-26-2018, 11:58 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Yes, let windows do it’s update thing.

The cool thing about Boot Camp is that you’re running Windows natively on the hardware, there’s no translation, emulation or virtual machine at all. Because the hardware is so good, it runs better than on most PC’s! Treat it normally, as you would a PC laptop. This includes being doubly careful about virus and malware protection and good practice.
Old 10-26-2018, 12:42 PM
JGM3
Intermediate

Yes, let windows do it’s update thing.

The cool thing about Boot Camp is that you’re running Windows natively on the hardware, there’s no translation, emulation or virtual machine at all. Because the hardware is so good, it runs better than on most PC’s! Treat it normally, as you would a PC laptop. This includes being doubly careful about virus and malware protection and good practice.
Thanks Coach, I'll keep an eye on security. Should I also use the Apple updates in Windows in bootcamp?

Regarding the USB flash drive I used for the install, can I just wipe the drive or should I keep it? Everything seems to be working as it should but thought I'd check before wiping the drive.

thanks again Coach.
Old 10-26-2018, 01:45 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by JGM3

Thanks Coach, I'll keep an eye on security. Should I also use the Apple updates in Windows in bootcamp?

Regarding the USB flash drive I used for the install, can I just wipe the drive or should I keep it? Everything seems to be working as it should but thought I'd check before wiping the drive.

thanks again Coach.
Yes, you should use Apple Software Update while in Windows. Rarely, the Windows driver package is updated and it helps with the function of the hardware.

I would wipe the drive and reuse for other stuff. You should be good to go.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 10-26-2018, 03:06 PM
JGM3
Intermediate

Yes, you should use Apple Software Update while in Windows. Rarely, the Windows driver package is updated and it helps with the function of the hardware.

I would wipe the drive and reuse for other stuff. You should be good to go.
Thanks Coach, have a great weekend!
Old 10-27-2018, 02:19 PM
JGM3
Intermediate

Thanks Coach, have a great weekend!
Coach, do you use the movie function often in RS3?

I tried to compare a couple of videos in sync today & no luck? It will play single videos but it won't pause/forward/rewind them etc?

It worked fine yesterday but now (movies) are behaving exactly as they did in XP when I tried to run the latest RS3 software.

The only difference is I can connect to my M5, it's just not behaving when attempting to play video?

Any idea as to why Coach?

Many Thanks.

Old 10-27-2018, 02:42 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Coach, do you use the movie function often in RS3?

I tried to compare a couple of videos in sync today & no luck? It will play single videos but it won't pause/forward/rewind them etc?

It worked fine yesterday but now (movies) are behaving exactly as they did in XP when I tried to run the latest RS3 software.

The only difference is I can connect to my M5, it's just not behaving when attempting to play video?

Any idea as to why Coach?

Many Thanks.

I don't use that feature. I use Joris Man's terrific software CompareMyLaps. Sorry.
Old 10-27-2018, 02:54 PM
JGM3
Intermediate

I don't use that feature. I use Joris Man's terrific software CompareMyLaps. Sorry.
i'll try it again tomorrow, everything else working well though!

I'll check out the software you mention!

thanks Coach
Old 10-31-2018, 09:03 AM
JGM3
Intermediate

I looked at the software you mentioned Coach. I then installed the Mac version, as I wanted to connect with an Apple TV/AirPlay/monitor.

I was unable to use however due to SmartyCam files being detected.

I then installed in Windows (bootcamp) & it works great!

What I'd like to ask is, I'd like to use an external monitor & now running the software in Windows, can you recommend a method of connection between my MacBook & monitor?

is there another suitable AirPlay or am I best to use a cable/adapter port (thunderbolt-hdmi) etc?

thanks Coach

Quick Reply: RS3 no wi-fi tab (windows XP)