Notices

AIM Smartycam sync with MXL2 data?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2017, 11:05 AM
pmiranda
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default AIM Smartycam sync with MXL2 data?

I want to be able to quickly flip through laps, see what I did in a given corner in video (where I positioned the car, was I in traffic, etc.), and look at the data in RSA to see what worked better from lap to lap.

I have been able to bring in video from a different (dumb) camera into RSA and get it synced with data for a single lap but it is pretty time consuming.
If I got a smartycam, would the data and video in RSA automatically come up in sync for every lap I look at, or do you still have to manually line it up?
Old 12-22-2017, 11:16 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

The SCHD will automatically write the data on the video and the laptime in the video will match the time on the data (if you look at the data on a time basis), but there is no way to click a point on a graph in RS2A and put the video to that point. That is being done in Race Studio 3 Analysis, but it's still in development.

The beauty of the SCHD is that the camera turns on, starts recording, stops recording, turns off, and puts all the data on the video automatically. It's a one time configuration and then it just works. Take the memory card out and watch the video with data.
Old 12-22-2017, 11:24 AM
pmiranda
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OK, thanks. I guess I'll wait for my current camera to die before I bother upgrading.
Old 12-22-2017, 12:17 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,836 Likes on 1,670 Posts

To add a little to Matt's good points, any HD version of the SmartyCam (Rev1, Rev2 and Rev2.1) is capable of recording information, or metadata, to the video file that will eventually be used to do what you want to do.

The software is the limiting factor now, as long as you're using any hardware that requires RS3 to configure it. I think this is the most anticipated feature that AiM Sportline could release...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 12-26-2017, 11:27 PM
IPSA
Rennlist Member

Received 202 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
To add a little to Matt's good points, any HD version of the SmartyCam (Rev1, Rev2 and Rev2.1) is capable of recording information, or metadata, to the video file that will eventually be used to do what you want to do.

The software is the limiting factor now, as long as you're using any hardware that requires RS3 to configure it. I think this is the most anticipated feature that AiM Sportline could release...

If I am running RS2 but my hardware will run RS3 should I convert going forward and what are the ups and downs of doing so ?

Cheers
Old 12-27-2017, 08:55 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,836 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Originally Posted by IPSA
If I am running RS2 but my hardware will run RS3 should I convert going forward and what are the ups and downs of doing so ?

Cheers
IPSA, what hardware do you have?

RS2 is included in RS3 for those older file format devices that need it for configuration and download. Solo/Solo DL/MXL Pista/EVO4/EVO3 and the older MyChron line.

RS3 is for the “new” file format devices that need it for configuration and download. Solo 2/Solo 2 DL/SCHD/MXL2/MXG/MXS/MXP/EVO4S/EVO5 and the newer MyChron 5.

You have no choice. The hardware determines what configuration and downloading tool you use. With the Solo 2 and EVO4S introduction, the transition is complete, from a hardware point of view.

RSA, Race Studio Analysis, the data READING program, is included in both RS2 and RS3 and opens both file formats from old and new hardware. It will be eventually replaced by “RSA3.” A software program that will allow integration of video with the data on the screen. That feature will be limited to data and video generated by hardware that requires RS3 to configure and download.

That’s also some ways off. HTH.
Old 12-27-2017, 02:33 PM
IPSA
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ProCoach
IPSA, what hardware do you have?

RS2 is included in RS3 for those older file format devices that need it for configuration and download. Solo/Solo DL/MXL Pista/EVO4/EVO3 and the older MyChron line.

RS3 is for the “new” file format devices that need it for configuration and download. Solo 2/Solo 2 DL/SCHD/MXL2/MXG/MXS/MXP/EVO4S/EVO5 and the newer MyChron 5.

You have no choice. The hardware determines what configuration and downloading tool you use. With the Solo 2 and EVO4S introduction, the transition is complete, from a hardware point of view.

RSA, Race Studio Analysis, the data READING program, is included in both RS2 and RS3 and opens both file formats from old and new hardware. It will be eventually replaced by “RSA3.” A software program that will allow integration of video with the data on the screen. That feature will be limited to data and video generated by hardware that requires RS3 to configure and download.

That’s also some ways off. HTH.

Running Solo DL w SCHD Rev 2.1

Is the next best step the new SOLO 2 or the MXm I believe?

So if I understand you I will be able to review data from RS2 and RS3 at the same time at some point? I.e. compare my old RS 2 laps with new RS 3 laps ?

Also when is the side by side video option available ?

Cheers
Old 12-27-2017, 02:43 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by IPSA
Running Solo DL w SCHD Rev 2.1

Is the next best step the new SOLO 2 or the MXm I believe?

So if I understand you I will be able to review data from RS2 and RS3 at the same time at some point? I.e. compare my old RS 2 laps with new RS 3 laps ?

Also when is the side by side video option available ?

Cheers
To do the eventual integrated data/video review, you would need a Solo 2 or MXm. Which is better depends on your needs. If the Solo DL you have does everything you want, no need to upgrade to the MXm.

AiM has always had and will continue to have full compatibility in all of it's data files. You will always be able to compare your data whether it's from your Solo DL, a Solo 2, any of the dash loggers, or even the kart systems. What software you need to download the data will not change that.

Video and data review (click a data point and the video goes there) is still a bit away. If you want to compare to SCHD videos (or any 2 videos) side by side, I suggest www.comparemylaps.com. It's terrific and works with any video files.
Old 12-27-2017, 07:51 PM
IPSA
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
To do the eventual integrated data/video review, you would need a Solo 2 or MXm. Which is better depends on your needs. If the Solo DL you have does everything you want, no need to upgrade to the MXm.

AiM has always had and will continue to have full compatibility in all of it's data files. You will always be able to compare your data whether it's from your Solo DL, a Solo 2, any of the dash loggers, or even the kart systems. What software you need to download the data will not change that.

Video and data review (click a data point and the video goes there) is still a bit away. If you want to compare to SCHD videos (or any 2 videos) side by side, I suggest www.comparemylaps.com. It's terrific and works with any video files.

Matt and Peter

Thx for the info and service to our crazed band of brothers...

Will stay tuned

Cheers

Quick Reply: AIM Smartycam sync with MXL2 data?