Notices

Cosworth... Better get use to it

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2017, 07:13 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,908 Likes on 1,705 Posts

On Toolset, the qualifying mode is explained here: http://www.cosworth.com/media/457717...mode_setup.pdf

On Toolset, pulling data is outlined here: http://www.cosworth.com/media/457711...ading_data.pdf

Still working on your unit changes for the dash.

I have to learn this anyway, as I have more and more people I'm working with using this system.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 11-13-2017, 07:22 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

So, your ICD (Intelligent Color Dash) has Templates, or pages that it displays and the instructions on how they read, should be triggered, etc.

It appears you could copy a Template and change the units of measure for the bars and numeric displays in the configuration, save it as a new template and transmit to the ICD. Do not know this for a fact, that's what I get when I read the manual here: http://www.cosworth.com/media/457696...tion_guide.pdf

They call it "Display properties" Starts on page 26.
Old 11-13-2017, 09:05 PM
spg993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

you know when you buy one of those big put together cabinets, you know the ikea kind excecpt you went cheap and got it from ebay from china, and it comes and the instructions make no sense, its missing some of the bolts or has 20 extra nuts...and its competely sketchy putting it together. this ..is a little like that. seriously, what was Porsche thinking about going away from motec? that forum has like 9 total new threads since 2015.

gosh how i wish i had porsche's business and could choke this crap down my own customer's throats...
Old 11-13-2017, 09:31 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Follow the money...
Old 11-16-2017, 01:16 PM
boxboxbox
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

and this is why there are data guys
Old 11-16-2017, 01:23 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 790 Likes on 509 Posts

DAG FTW!
Old 11-16-2017, 01:39 PM
boxboxbox
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All joking aside, I wish I could have an answer for the unit conversion, but as someone who mostly works in metric units rather than imperial, I'm not even qualified to answer lol. The driver in the cars I'm with, usually the instructions are a few key numbers to keep an eye on, and if the alarm isn't on, don't worry about it kind of deal.

The rest of the stuff is just learning curve pains coming from motec to cosworth, which I can absolutely relate going from a 997 to a 991.
Old 11-16-2017, 02:40 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by boxboxbox
All joking aside, I wish I could have an answer for the unit conversion,

The driver in the cars I'm with, usually the instructions are a few key numbers to keep an eye on, and if the alarm isn't on, don't worry about it kind of deal.
The rest of the stuff is just learning curve pains coming from motec to cosworth, which I can absolutely relate going from a 997 to a 991.
Good advice.

I feel your pain. A little more familiar with Toolbox as it's an evolution of the program they've used for two and a half decades, but the hardware interface is not as intuitive as even MoTeC is.
Old 11-21-2017, 11:55 AM
Viperbob1
Nordschleife Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I spent time at the IMSA races with the Porsche tech and a guy from Cosworth looking to change a bunch of these things and nope it is locked down in the Porsche implementation. You can pretty much change shift lights, Pit Lane speed, and that is darn near it....
Old 11-21-2017, 04:50 PM
spg993tt
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Viperbob1
I spent time at the IMSA races with the Porsche tech and a guy from Cosworth looking to change a bunch of these things and nope it is locked down in the Porsche implementation. You can pretty much change shift lights, Pit Lane speed, and that is darn near it....
thats awesome. love porsche. spend oodles of dollars on their toys and they cant even figure a way to have drivers in the usa see MPH, PSI, F,
awesome.
Old 11-30-2017, 09:06 AM
Viperbob1
Nordschleife Master

It will really **** you off when you look in the rear area in the center with the plug that says GPS on it knowing the Porsche removed this funtionality from the software....Otherwise like on the '17s it would be plug and play. No we have to use the stupid beacon system......
Old 12-01-2017, 10:49 AM
spg993tt
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Viperbob1
It will really **** you off when you look in the rear area in the center with the plug that says GPS on it knowing the Porsche removed this funtionality from the software....Otherwise like on the '17s it would be plug and play. No we have to use the stupid beacon system......
8 track tapes!
Old 12-01-2017, 09:50 PM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

With all of these challenges, how the heck are the U.S based drivers capturing and utilizing their data? Perhaps I'm over estimating the complexity. I get to drive my new to me 15 Cup next weekend at Cresson MSR. Looking forward to it......
Old 12-01-2017, 10:00 PM
Viperbob1
Nordschleife Master

There is still a TON of data. You just need to understand the way Cosworth sort of puts a net over the data and displays it through the Porsche templates. It is still VERY powerful if you know how to use it. The other part that is REALLY REALLY helpful to the shop is the maintenance info you can gather through the Power System. Every single powered unit is tracked. When we had a bobble out on the track we thought could be fuel related, we graphed the pump voltage vs the bobble and saw a huge spike in voltage telling us the pump was shot. Replaced and car was fine. This is what data is supposed to do for the driver and the shop. Although there could be a much simpler and more logical way than Cosworth.
Old 12-01-2017, 11:26 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by 93 FireHawk 968
With all of these challenges, how the heck are the U.S based drivers capturing and utilizing their data? Perhaps I'm over estimating the complexity. I get to drive my new to me 15 Cup next weekend at Cresson MSR. Looking forward to it......
You are overestimating the complexity. All the information required to learn where and how to go quicker is there, it’s just familiarity, like every other system. Enjoy your wonderful car!

Quick Reply: Cosworth... Better get use to it