Notices

Cosworth... Better get use to it

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 08:38 PM
Viperbob1
Nordschleife Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Cosworth... Better get use to it

With the 991 Cup winding their way into more and more hands the one thing that is a complete different change is the data system. After spending a fair amount of time with it as it comes (of course a REDUCED functionality unit in the Porsche Cup vs rest of world) it is a usable be it cumbersome system vs traditional Motec. After a while when you think sideways you will start to get it. After some things that have taken place, I have grown to like the Power Control info available. You can do some amazing things as EVERYTHING in the car has voltage info. Even added units like cool shirts, etc IF ADDED TO A PROPER CONNECTION, with empty german plugs are all over and they should be used. Last week we lost fuel pressure. Overlay that with the supply fuel pump at same time and you see a spike in the voltage. So diagnosing without turning a wrench. Add to that ALL the sensors EVERYWHERE in the car and once you get past the UK way of side ways thinking, you have a powerful system.
Old 10-16-2017, 09:47 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,802 Likes on 1,655 Posts

Originally Posted by Viperbob1
With the 991 Cup winding their way into more and more hands the one thing that is a complete different change is the data system. After spending a fair amount of time with it as it comes (of course a REDUCED functionality unit in the Porsche Cup vs rest of world) it is a usable be it cumbersome system vs traditional Motec. After a while when you think sideways you will start to get it. After some things that have taken place, I have grown to like the Power Control info available. You can do some amazing things as EVERYTHING in the car has voltage info. Even added units like cool shirts, etc IF ADDED TO A PROPER CONNECTION, with empty german plugs are all over and they should be used. Last week we lost fuel pressure. Overlay that with the supply fuel pump at same time and you see a spike in the voltage. So diagnosing without turning a wrench. Add to that ALL the sensors EVERYWHERE in the car and once you get past the UK way of side ways thinking, you have a powerful system.
True, it is a powerful system. Toolbox is a good program and familiar to folks in the open-wheel ranks.

I really recommend a good video (with performance measures) solution for limited vehicle health checks and serious driver development, so the Racelogic VBOX Video HD2 has become a very popular add-on for these cars. Several teams, including Moorespeed, Greg Fordahl, Les Long, Flying Lizard and others have installed these on top of the Cosworth-equipped cars with good result.

I'm seeing coaches and engineers delve more and more into the capabilities of the Cosworth system and analysis software, so your post is very timely. But I still see a lot of folks adding MoTeC L120's and EDL's so they can access information in the way that they're used to.

It's all familiarity, right?
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 10-18-2017, 11:50 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 761 Likes on 499 Posts

The PDM systems are great for diagnosing problems. I think we're right around the tipping point where we'll see some cheaper systems that are good start coming out. Right now the Cosworth, MoTeC, and Bosch rule the PDM market, but there are others in the pipeline.
Old 10-18-2017, 11:53 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,722 Likes on 913 Posts

i miss motec
Old 10-18-2017, 12:05 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Nizer
i miss motec
Yep. Still the leader in this area.
Old 10-18-2017, 02:15 PM
boxboxbox
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
It's all familiarity, right?
That's exactly it.

And for data guys / performance engineers, to be absolutely glued to one system is somewhat unhealthy IMO. Lines and numbers are the same regardless of the system in a way, so basically the only variable that remains is how well can one adapt to a different system.

I will say though I'm glad I had to learn toolbox, because it made learning wintax 4 10x easier as the syntax is almost the same.

Come to think of it, between the three, motec is the odd one out in certain areas.
Old 10-29-2017, 04:10 PM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Anyone aware of any online tutorials for the Cosworth system? I searched YouTube but no luck.

Trending Topics

Old 10-29-2017, 04:12 PM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Found this link that may a bit: http://support.cosworth.com/?forum=422867
Old 10-29-2017, 04:16 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

That video add-on, the AliveDrive system for the 991 Cup cars, allows the use of the same Cosworth Toolbox features as in the GM Performance Data Recorder device on their performance vehicles. It's pretty slick and offers, Google Earth overlay, video side-by-side and other comparative capabilities.

For video, however, most teams in the IMSA GT3 paddock are using the VBOX HD2.
Old 10-29-2017, 04:32 PM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Is the Chase Cam camera compatible with Cosworth system as an add-on? I have 15 Cup on it's way and already have a Chase Cam that's brand new.
Old 10-29-2017, 04:39 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by 93 FireHawk 968
Is the Chase Cam camera compatible with Cosworth system as an add-on? I have 15 Cup on it's way and already have a Chase Cam that's brand new.
I don't know.
Old 10-31-2017, 10:08 AM
Viperbob1
Nordschleife Master

Yes you can connect the Smarty Cam up to the car with the ECU Bridge. You need a special connector wired into it, but there is a receptacle on the passenger roll bar. Limited data connection but it gives a nice readout on the Smartcam video.
Old 10-31-2017, 10:24 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Viperbob1
Yes you can connect the Smarty Cam up to the car with the ECU Bridge. You need a special connector wired into it, but there is a receptacle on the passenger roll bar. Limited data connection but it gives a nice readout on the Smartcam video.
I think 93 Firehawk 968 was asking about the ChaseCam, as opposed to the SmartyCam.

Yes, as you say, the SmartyCam HD, plus a GPS-08B antenna (for speed, track position and lap times) and a CAN/RS-232 ECU Bridge (for power, ground and limited car information) is a good, proven setup for the 991 Cup cars through the large AS connector on the passenger side of the roll bar for the C50 connection. Info here for that: http://www.aim-sportline.com/downloa...up_101_eng.pdf
Old 11-03-2017, 02:26 PM
Viperbob1
Nordschleife Master

Ooops my bad. Very limited data though for SmartyCam off Can bus.
Old 11-03-2017, 09:37 PM
spg993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

not sure if this is the right place for this cosworth question, as its really a 991 cup car data question...
was speaking to someone about 991 cup today and they mirrored much of what has been said up here. cosworth is very intricate, details, lots you can do. but for some of the club racers, perhaps its overkill.

one shop i was speaking to who does a bunch of imsa racing was saying they actually put other data loggers in the car, that there is a "motec 4k$ kind of dash that they put in the cars" so that its simply using what they know, can tie into previous data, etc" plus then you can use gps lap timing/beacons vs the cosworth beacons.

so thats the basis of my question...is anyone really doing this? what are people putting in these 991 cups fi they are putting in secondary dashes, etc. which dash? how are they connecting it?

anyone have a photo of all that if you've seen it?

this one person was talking about putting an AIM MXS dash in the cup, toss a beacon in the windscreen and you have simple easy to deal with GPS stuff, lap timing, and simple data analysis which for this person owuld make sense. sounded like a good plan.

he was trying to figure out how to do this physically, where on the dash it shoudl go...and how to maintain his smartycam which he already has with the bosch connector per the previous post herein.

thoughts? ideas?

Quick Reply: Cosworth... Better get use to it