Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 761 Likes on 499 Posts

Originally Posted by kristap
Thread from the grave ....
Question for the group - recommendations on formula for car setup to detect understeer when steering angle is not available?
You have to have steering (or steered wheel) angle to determine over and understeer. Without that, you don't know what the input was, so there is no way to compare if it's more or less than expected/required.
Old 08-08-2018, 11:50 PM
Raeffer Govoni
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Greg

I am not very savvy at this but was wondering if you could give me some direction.

My 12 year old son races karts and his ability to provide feedback is rather limited. Having the telemetry yopu have produced above would be quite good for us to have. I have managed to build the calculatedSteer maths channel

((GPS_LatAcc*9.8*0.95)/(GPS_Speed*GPS_Speed))*57.2958

However I am unsure as to what to use for the actualSTEER channel. I dont have a steering sensor (one on the way) so I am using

GPS_Gyro*0.025

Is this correct?
Old 08-09-2018, 02:32 AM
Raeffer Govoni
3rd Gear

"There are other ways to visualize understeer/oversteer by looking at the difference between GPS lateral Gs and system lateral Gs. In that case, you won't need a steering angle sensor."

Any ideas if you can acheive this on a mychron5 on a kart?
Old 08-19-2018, 10:20 PM
boxboxbox
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
You have to have steering (or steered wheel) angle to determine over and understeer. Without that, you don't know what the input was, so there is no way to compare if it's more or less than expected/required.
technically you don't, if you have a yaw sensor.

yaw rate vs angular velocity is also another way to do u/s vs o/s; and in a way is probably more accurate than using the method involving the difference of WB/R vs steered angle. this has been covered in detail in several literature.
Old 07-04-2021, 07:55 PM
Racingjordi
1st Gear

Question Graham Templeman's book formula explanation

[QUOTE=Frank 993 C4S;14390288]So I have been experimenting around with looking to visualize understeer/oversteer to independently confirm my butt feel. For this type of analysis I can highly recommend Graham Templeman's book "The Competion Car Data Logging Manual" which is available on iTunes.

Graham's theoretical steering angle formula with the correct units plus the wheelbase of my 2012 Cayman is:

7.969/ ((GPS_Speed*1.467)^2/(GPS_LatAcc*32.167))*57.2958

This allows you to calculate the THEORETICAL front wheel steering angle that you would achieve at very slow speeds.

Could you explain where those numbers represent and come from?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Understeer/Oversteer Visualization