Notices

Audi Ur Quattro Group A Build

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2024, 07:13 PM
Blagave
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 115 Posts

Big milestone today, I installed the engine and trans. The sub frame is a tubular frame made by Verkline and allows for the S2 suspension components, which I have 034 billet aluminum arms to use.

The following users liked this post:
rutthenut (04-26-2024)
Old 02-25-2024, 06:35 PM
Blagave
Rennlist Member

Exciting times for the build. Finally putting the pieces together to see how they fit. Installed header and turbo along with heat wrap, so far things fit, but tight. Lots of fabricating still to do for intake and down pipe. Plus I need to figure out the inter-cooler and oil cooler.

Old 03-02-2024, 06:12 PM
Blagave
Rennlist Member

Received my new billet brake mounts and rear Brembo parking brake calipers from AndyP......cant thank him enough for making the parts and helping me out.
The parts are beautifully made and everything bolts right on. The only small issue I had was the rear inner brake pad barley hit the mount, which was corrected quickly with a grinder. The only thing left is to finish up the parking brake lines and bleed.

The following 2 users liked this post by Blagave:
MovingChicane (04-24-2024), rutthenut (03-04-2024)
Old 03-10-2024, 06:19 PM
Blagave
Rennlist Member

The car came with a very nice custom made 3" stainless steel exhaust system, probably the nicest thing on the car. Sadly, I have to change the engine side and the rear end, due to the Verklin S2 sub frame. I built a new section for the new header, turbo, waste gate, added a O2 port and wrapped in heat wrap. I also have a Funk turbo blanket to help minimize the heat.
This was very time consuming to get everything to fit and maximize clearances, my hat is off to those guys who build exhaust systems that look like jewelry.

rutthenut (03-11-2024)
Old 03-10-2024, 06:25 PM
Blagave
Rennlist Member

Built a front chassis cross support so I can cut the center section out and have room for a bigger inter-cooler and oil cooler. I welded plates onto each side and used thread inserts, so the cross member can easily be removed or installed. Its a tight fit just clearing the engine pulley and sits nicely behind the bumper.

Old 03-15-2024, 06:37 PM
Blagave
Rennlist Member

Took the leap of faith and cut the front cross member out after notching the center section of the cross member I made....I figured it was eaiser to do now than later.

Old 04-08-2024, 06:38 PM
Blagave
Rennlist Member

Reworked the Ron Davis Radiator per Varia recommendations of more CFM fan motor verse the Spal fan. Varia helped me source the big fan motor and the shroud from IABED Industries. I had to remove the bottom radiator mount and make a new mount. I welded metal plate to the bottom where the old mount was and made bolt in mount. I also had to relocate the upper side mount. The Ron Davis Radiator is 16" wide hwere the OEM radaitor for the 10v is 15 1/2" wide. It took a lot of work, but the radiator fits with enough clearance for engine torque. I still have to make a mount for the top front, but need to wait for the new inter-cooler to arrive.

Old 04-12-2024, 06:23 PM
Blagave
Rennlist Member

Did a mock up card board inter-cooler and sent off the dimensions to a friend at Triton Race Coolers and got back Perfection.

MovingChicane (04-24-2024)
Old 04-13-2024, 06:26 PM
Blagave
Rennlist Member

Built the engine snub mount. I purchased the 034 mount and modified, built mount on my lower cross member and made mount to engine block. Its close to what the OEM mount location was...I think. Tight clearance with the inter-cooler, but all is good.

Old 04-15-2024, 04:49 PM
Blagave
Rennlist Member

Received the rear diff after quite some time. EFI had to wait for parts and seals, I guess parts are hard to come by.
Everything bolted in, which was nice, the only thing I had to do was adjust the Verkline sub frames about 3/16" to have the stock drive shaft fit. I will clean and paint the drive shaft and replace the CV's and center support. Also, attached rear axles and parking brake cables.

Old 04-24-2024, 06:00 PM
Blagave
Rennlist Member

Built the inter cooler plumbing from the turbo compressor and the intake. Not much room on the intake side to work with, but got it done.

Old 04-24-2024, 06:02 PM
Blagave
Rennlist Member

Got feed up with trying to find a 6 grove AC compressor with side ports that fit the stock mount and just broke down and purchased a Sandon side port Compressor and made my own mount. It took (3) tries to get the mount to fit in the space with being able to adjust the belt with out hitting intake. As they say, I am trying to fit 10lbs of Sh*t in a 5lb bag.....very little room to work with.

rutthenut (04-27-2024)
Old 04-24-2024, 06:03 PM
Blagave
Rennlist Member

Built Radiator plumbing. I purchased a straight billet thermostat water hose mount, which helped greatly with running a direct line. Not too happy with the top plumbing and will be looking to redo down the road.

Old 04-25-2024, 05:20 PM
Blagave
Rennlist Member

I was was searching for CV's & U-joints to rebuild my drive shaft and came across a company (Driveshaft Store) in California that builds new drive shafts for the Audi GT/ UR. I decided to order the drive shaft and when it arrived, I immediately cut the center support off to install the 2 piece JXB performance center bearing mount. There is a day and night difference between the stock rubber mount and the JBX. The JBX mount is solid with very little movement. Drive shaft installed perfectly....very happy to check this off the list.

rutthenut (04-27-2024)
Old 04-26-2024, 06:09 PM
Blagave
Rennlist Member

TIRE SIZE........UGH!!!
After quite a bit of searching the old internet and asking others what they suggest, I chose a Falcon RT660 245/40-17....its an aggressive tire and is a starting point.
Now mounted and mocked up, I am very happy. I am running a 25mm spacer on the front and a 35mm on the rear, this clears the big calipers. There will be some trimming of the fenders to match the Group A flares, but while at full drop on jacks, the fronts clear easily on full side to side turn.

rutthenut (04-27-2024)

Quick Reply: Audi Ur Quattro Group A Build