Concours & Car Care
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First wash of wheels

Old 08-06-2016, 12:25 PM
ettenw
User

Default First wash of wheels

I just washed my new Cayman S (still on first tank of gas) and cleaning the wheels was a horrible experience. The brake dust had made a kind of black grease on the wheels and tires. After many paper towels, they are finally clean. Is there some kind of protectant on these wheels from the factory that causes this affect? The wheels are standard S 19" wheels. I sure hope this gets better.
Old 08-08-2016, 09:47 PM
Bigalfromfl
User

No. No factory protectant on them. It sounds like they may have had some 'overspray' of tire dressing on them...this could possibly be why you are having a greasy mess with the brake dust and that mixing.

Was it on all 4 wheels?

Also, there are much easier ways to clean your wheels than with paper towels! You can use a dedicated wheel cleaner, wheel brushes and get the job done much easier and more complete.

And, as you know, these cars have a tendency to dust up pretty quickly and badly! (unless you're lucky enough to have PCCB!!)

Hope this helps you out!
Old 08-09-2016, 04:26 AM
Tonyr313
Addict
Rennlist Member

Pickup a can of armor all wheel protectant. It will help shield the wheels of brake dust and truly works.
Old 08-09-2016, 05:54 PM
JTT
Addict
Rennlist Member

I tried some AutoGlym wheel protectant a few weeks ago and was very impressed. Much easier to clean off brake dust.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: First wash of wheels

Contact Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: