Notices

Can I retreat my softtop without cleaning?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2016, 08:16 AM
JTT
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 246 Posts
Default Can I retreat my softtop without cleaning?

I have Raggtop cleaner and protectant, but my top really doesnt appear dirty at all. Can i simply apply protectant without cleaning or is this generally a bad idea (hidden dirt or lack of adhesion of the protectant maybe?)
Old 07-02-2016, 12:21 PM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Always clean a surface before you apply a protective product
Old 07-02-2016, 03:30 PM
JTT
Rennlist Member

Thanks! Is this due to contaminants effecting the adhesion of the treatment?

Also, a lot of what Ive read indicates to protect all other surfaces? Is the cleaner as harmful to surfaces as the treatment, or should I be super careful about it getting on other surfaces? What is the concern about other surfaces?

Thanks
Old 07-02-2016, 07:26 PM
jennifer911
Racer

Received 98 Likes on 58 Posts

JTT, you have the right idea about the protectant needing a clean oxidation free surface in order to get a good bond. Wolfsteins RaggTop cleaner is pretty gentle and needs to scrubbed in with a soft brush or coarse terry towel to tease the dirt up in order to be rinsed off. Before I became a destitute wench begging rides in Porsches I owned my own roadster sports car. Over many years of use, spritzing it on the car, rinsing it off over the paint work, I never observed it affecting the wax job let alone the paint etc. Wolfsteins is recommended by the maker of Porsche’s fabric tops.

In a pinch if you can’t get outside to flush and rinse the top. General purpose auto fabric cleaners like Nonsense can be poured onto a towel and rubbed into the top removing dirt and Shmutz, and then just dry buffed off. If your wife has a lint roller use that first, you will be amazed at the crap it will pull out of the top fabric.

If you bought a Raggtop kit containing both cleaner and protectant, check to make sure you have the right kit. There is a different protectant product for vinyl and for fabric tops.
Old 07-02-2016, 08:21 PM
JTT
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jennifer911
JTT, you have the right idea about the protectant needing a clean oxidation free surface in order to get a good bond. Wolfsteins RaggTop cleaner is pretty gentle and needs to scrubbed in with a soft brush or coarse terry towel to tease the dirt up in order to be rinsed off. Before I became a destitute wench begging rides in Porsches I owned my own roadster sports car. Over many years of use, spritzing it on the car, rinsing it off over the paint work, I never observed it affecting the wax job let alone the paint etc. Wolfsteins is recommended by the maker of Porsche’s fabric tops.

In a pinch if you can’t get outside to flush and rinse the top. General purpose auto fabric cleaners like Nonsense can be poured onto a towel and rubbed into the top removing dirt and Shmutz, and then just dry buffed off. If your wife has a lint roller use that first, you will be amazed at the crap it will pull out of the top fabric.

If you bought a Raggtop kit containing both cleaner and protectant, check to make sure you have the right kit. There is a different protectant product for vinyl and for fabric tops.
Thanks! Yes, I have the kit (the right one) 😎
Old 07-07-2016, 10:43 AM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

"Convertible Top Detailing" - http://togwt1980.blogspot.co.uk/2015...detailing.html
Old 07-07-2016, 07:55 PM
JTT
Rennlist Member

Thanks TOGWT, I love your blogs! Very informative.

Quick Reply: Can I retreat my softtop without cleaning?