Notices

What is the polish or product that builds up more clear and shine?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 01:44 AM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 88 Posts
Default What is the polish or product that builds up more clear and shine?

I remember a few years ago being on the M3 forum and people would practically brag about how many layers of this stuff they use and show pics of how glossy the paint appears as they add more coats. I can't remember the product name or how it works.

Reason I am asking is because a couple months ago I purchased a car that was in an accident and everything has looked really good, but today in just a specific light I noticed that the drivers door looked just slightly more dull than the rest of the panels. Like I said it is so slight, it is only noticeable in certain light at a certain angle. I initially thought to maybe have it resprayed and polished, but ironically, I have had that done before where the body shop was so good that the new panels were more glossy and less orange peel than the factory paint, and that was noticeable as well. My next thought was just to claybar, polish and wax. Then I remembered that product I saw a few years back on the M3 forum and the crazy results people were getting. Sorry for the long post.
Old 03-24-2016, 09:42 AM
SC Detailer
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Coating

You are probably talking about a Nano-Ceramic coating option. The dull look could be haze from the body shop polishing or if it is a panel that was not painted, it may just need to be polished to bring the shine back.

I know that most Nano-Coatings can be layered. Most all will add some measurable thickness to the paint. CQuartz Finest, Modesta, Nanolex, they all can be layered. Modesta being the thickest of the bunch here.

HUMP
Old 03-24-2016, 02:54 PM
Mr. Sparkle
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rodH
I remember a few years ago being on the M3 forum and people would practically brag about how many layers of this stuff they use and show pics of how glossy the paint appears as they add more coats. I can't remember the product name or how it works.

Reason I am asking is because a couple months ago I purchased a car that was in an accident and everything has looked really good, but today in just a specific light I noticed that the drivers door looked just slightly more dull than the rest of the panels. Like I said it is so slight, it is only noticeable in certain light at a certain angle. I initially thought to maybe have it resprayed and polished, but ironically, I have had that done before where the body shop was so good that the new panels were more glossy and less orange peel than the factory paint, and that was noticeable as well. My next thought was just to claybar, polish and wax. Then I remembered that product I saw a few years back on the M3 forum and the crazy results people were getting. Sorry for the long post.

Its not so much about how many layers of product being applied, but more about the prep and paint correction work prior to coating install.

I would recommend speaking to a professional detailer / coating installer in your area. Most experienced pro coating installers will have some type of specialized lighting on hand to highlight these defects.

I personally rely on single diode LED floodlight bulbs. I have a number of them mounted around my shop and on mobile stands.

Name:  IMG_7722%20Copy_zps8yeh4oxj.jpg
Views: 5174
Size:  104.5 KB

Name:  IMG_7736%20Copy_zpsl4qxt3k0.jpg
Views: 5143
Size:  103.4 KB
Old 03-28-2016, 06:39 PM
SJJ28
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 44 Posts

my guess is that what you are thinking of is Zaino

it has a cult following, and i used it in the past. for me now, getting the paint to its proper condition, and then using a good high quality wax , and keeping it it in that condition is all I do!
Old 03-28-2016, 06:42 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,414 Likes on 2,517 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Sparkle
Its not so much about how many layers of product being applied, but more about the prep and paint correction work prior to coating install.
This.
Old 03-28-2016, 06:55 PM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 88 Posts

I think that is it as well. Guys would literally brag about how many layers or treatments they have done And showed how glossy the finish was (which it seemed to work, I just never had time or interest in polishing my car every week).

This might be dating me but I use to just do a simple (at that time was a lot for people who would only wax) wash, dry, claybar, Polish (light polish or swirl remover) and then use a protective wax. Used a lot of autoglym products and mcguires before that.

I have no idea about all these ceramic coatings and such. I guess in the Zaino days I was 1 step behind, now I guess I am 2 steps behind

Originally Posted by SJJ28
my guess is that what you are thinking of is Zaino

it has a cult following, and i used it in the past. for me now, getting the paint to its proper condition, and then using a good high quality wax , and keeping it it in that condition is all I do!

Quick Reply: What is the polish or product that builds up more clear and shine?