Notices

Alcantara seats

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2016, 04:56 PM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 118 Posts
Default Alcantara seats

Hi, I'm curious how you care for your Alcantara seats. I've always had good luck with Lexol. I clean my full leather seats, vacuum and sometimes I wipe them down with a cleaner and once dry, I then condition with the Lexol, wipe it in, and the leather looks great. But now I have a car with Alcantara and I'm looking at a Macan that has it as well. Only the inserts are Alcantara. The bolsters are traditional leather. I would be afraid that the lexol will stain the Alcantara.

How do you clean your seats?
Do you treat/condition the leather?
And how prone is the Alcantara to staining? If you sat in the seat in a damp bathing suit would it stain?

Thanks
Old 03-23-2016, 12:11 AM
Neun 11
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

MY 2005 BMW Performance Package (zip) had an Alcantera interior. All I ever did to it was vacuum it and it held up really well. The car had 50K+ miles when I sold it and there was no bolster wear at all. I wish Alcantera was an option on every car.
Old 03-23-2016, 09:32 AM
SC Detailer
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Alcantara

Alcantara is a fancy word for a micro-fiber material. That being said, there are numerous companies that make specific cleaners. Dr. Beasley's comes to mind as well as Swissvax.
Keeping it clean is easier than trying to clean one that has gone too far. As long as it is not stained, that should be vac and brush out.

HUMP
Old 03-31-2016, 12:25 PM
jeff968
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by SC Detailer
As long as it is not stained,
Do you need to treat it with a stain protector? Would it stain with water, like from a damp bathing suit? Thx
Old 04-04-2016, 10:42 AM
SC Detailer
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Alcantara

Originally Posted by jeff968
Do you need to treat it with a stain protector? Would it stain with water, like from a damp bathing suit? Thx
Dr. Beasleys makes a protector for it that should help keep stains down. The key is to get the stain maker off before it soaks in. The protection will help in not letting it soak in. A damp bathing suit I would think would stain it due to over wetting. Best to take it off of course.

HUMP
Old 04-05-2016, 05:45 PM
1BadAction
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had an Alcantara steering wheel and shift **** in my Camaro 1LE. 3 years and 22k miles down the road after deep cleaning it a couple times a year, it still looked brand new. My GTS is full kit Alcantara, headliner, seat inserts, etc. I don't allow passengers to put their booger hooks on the headliner which generally keeps it clean, and the seat inserts are easy to clean with an interior cleaner and soft hair brush. I use chemical guys nonsense (colorless and odorless) but there are many out there safe to use.
Old 04-06-2016, 01:24 PM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

"Alacantra Cleaning and Care" - http://togwt1980.blogspot.co.uk/2015...-and-care.html

Quick Reply: Alcantara seats