Notices

Tiny Rock/Sand Pitting In Windshield??

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2015, 02:10 PM
Duke I
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Tiny Rock/Sand Pitting In Windshield??

I have my car for about six months now with 4000 mi. Have become disappointed with what I perceived as "softness" in the windshield. In certain lights, mainly facing the sun just above the horizon, I can see the pitting already all over the surface. THEN, one day recently I noticed the same "pitting" as I looked out the side window. I thought, "No way there's pitting on the side windows" so, I took out a microfiber towel and cleaner to clean and assess the damage and noticed that the "pitting" moved as I wiped! Not pitting but tiny mircrofiber fibers (not visible except in the lighting I described above) that I could move with attempts to clean, but I could not get them off and seemed to leave other fibers behind-- I am using Auto Geek's waffle and Griot's fine weave glass towels. And the "pitting" in the front, these tiny fibers that I locked in the surface with Optimum Glass Sealant, I think.

So question is, have you seen/noticed this and how do you handle it?
Old 05-17-2015, 04:00 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

This was one of the issues I used to have when I made the initial switch to Microfibers. In fact most microfibers leave this same lint on the paint too with exception to the Supreme 530 towels from Autogeek.

For Glass the tight weave glass mifrofibers work very well and do not leave lint behind. My favorites are the green ones from Detailers Domain, I bought a half dozen and just roatate through. Great for mirrors inside the house too.

Last edited by Marine Blue; 05-17-2015 at 11:42 PM.
Old 05-17-2015, 04:59 PM
Duke I
Pro

Oh no, not more MFT purchases. Cannot find the green ones you mentioned. Different color now?
Old 05-17-2015, 11:42 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by Duke I
Oh no, not more MFT purchases. Cannot find the green ones you mentioned. Different color now?
Bummer that they're are not offered anymore. I would send Phil an email and ask him if the pink ones are the same or very similar to the green ones. They really are worth it if they're the same towel.

But I'm not sure if any towel will remove the fibers that are locked in with the Optimum sealant if it is truly a coating/sealant product. Is the sealant similar to RainX or is it truly a coating that leaves a thicker layer on the glass?
Old 05-18-2015, 12:01 AM
Duke I
Pro

Ok I'll email Phil, good suggestion.

I think the Optimum Glass sealant will come off over time, and I can polish it off, I think.

Thanks.
Old 05-18-2015, 11:11 AM
SC Detailer
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you saying that the Optimum Glass sealant has the lint in it? This was put in upon application??

HUMP
Old 05-18-2015, 01:45 PM
Duke I
Pro

No lint in the sealant, lint on the window (I'm guessing) when I applied the sealant. I have not put sealant on any widows other than the front.

Last edited by Duke I; 05-18-2015 at 01:46 PM. Reason: Clarify

Quick Reply: Tiny Rock/Sand Pitting In Windshield??