Notices

Leather- testing for colorfastness

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2015, 08:19 AM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Leather- testing for colorfastness

I recently bought an 04 cayenne turbo with black "smooth leather." It looks smooth alright, like you can see yourself in it, it's so shiny.

I let leatherique sit on it overnight and, as expected, was treated to a thick layer of nasty sludge to wipe off the next day. It wasn't coming off easily as it was only 70* outside, and the leather was still looking shiny and sticky, so I used some leather master foam cleaner with my Swissvax leather brush. Immediately the leather had a nice lift like I was expecting, however the MF and my hands were covered in black. Is this just 11 years of nastiness, or am I taking the aniline and dye clean off of the leather?

After leatherique but no cleaner.

After leatherique and leather master, looks great and feels great.

Dye or dirt?

Dye or dirt?
Old 05-16-2015, 09:01 AM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What you are cleaning is surface dirt / oils not pigmentation. The upholstery is protected with a thin polyurethane covering (finished leather)

Micro Pigment

Is a term used by the auto leather industry to better describe leather with a thin urethane layer of pigment coating, which provides an even colour and abrasion resistance. As opposed to the mislabelled Aniline leather (aniline is a dye (immersion) method not a leather type), which will absorb body oils and moisture and would be subject to abrasion unless it has been treated in some way.

More often used for automotive upholstery as it is more durable than uncoated aniline whilst still retaining a natural appearance Semi-Aniline leathers surface coating containing a small amount of pigment in the base coat, this surface coating helps impart greater stain resistance. The increased durability is provided by the application of a light surface coating which contains both pigment (colour) and an anti-abrasion additive, this ensures consistent colour, imparts some stain resistance and helps with the abrasion of entering and exiting the vehicle

Generally speaking micro pigment style leathers come in very earthy natural colours, which may incorporate a small quantity of pigment (a thin clear sealant that provides a uniform colour and affords some protection) but not so much as to conceal the natural characteristics or feel of the hide. Other colours (i.e. gray, black, etc) have a pigmentation coating added. Transparent, not even milky or translucent; added to an opaque medium, the opacity remains, although some colour is added, and the net gray-equivalent brightness is always reduced, because a dye can only absorb light.

This leather is also used for perforated finished leather. A full aniline immersion dye is one method of tanning to achieve a desired, natural looking hide or leather. Because the finish is transparent and shows the natural markings of the leather, only top quality hides can be used. The aqueous (water- based) pigmentation allows for evaporation and replacement of moisture (hydration) staying cool in the summer and warm in the winter.

Remove surface dirt and dust, cleaning the seams periodically is important as dirt / grit will abrade the stitching causing them to fail, prise them apart, then use a soft brush, vacuum and then use a foam cleaner, one section at a time, and then finally wipe off with a clean, damp 100% cotton micro fibre towel
The advantage of foam over liquid is the minimum amount of moisture, very important for cleaning absorbent and moisture sensitive leathers.

Use foam cleaner, which should be given dwell time and then gentle agitation with a medium stiff bristled brush to get the product into the materials surface, the low moisture content of foam can then be easily rinsed and the surface dried.

Remove excess product and debris with a clean, damp 100% cotton micro fibre towel. If the foam is allowed to dry the soil will be re-deposited to the surface. Check the results and repeat process as necessary

For heavily soiled areas use a foam cleaner (Leather Master™ Foam Cleaner) that contains a surfactant that will lift dirt and soil, allow react time to do its work and then use a soft brush to agitate and loosen the dirt (Swissvax Leather Brush) especially on light coloured leathers; this enables the cleaning of the micro pores and creases and lifts the dirt out and reveal any further work that needs doing (dye transfer, stains, etc)
Old 05-16-2015, 09:55 AM
knfeparty
Race Car

The master has spoken. Thanks again! You always have the answers.

Good to hear that my leather master foam plus Swissvax leather brush is a good combo. The results are great, I just wanted to be sure I wasn't being too harsh on the leather. Thanks so much!
Old 05-16-2015, 12:07 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Agree with TOGWT and judging by the pictures you posted your seats are in excellent condition.

Having said that I have heard people using shoe leather to cover up scuffs on black leather. Years ago I bought a 928 with a beige interior and one of the previous owners used a spray of some kind on the leather to hide all the wear/tear. The leather looked great in pictures but in person you could tell it was lipstick on a pig. The minute I used Leatherique and Leather Masters on that car the spray wiped right off and the old worn leather shined right through. Needless to say that was the last car I bought sight unseen.
Old 05-19-2015, 08:28 PM
knfeparty
Race Car

My leather master's foam cleaner is running a bit low and I noticed that my usual go-to Detailer's Domain no longer stocks it. Is the Sonax leather foam comparable? I need something for suede/alcantara headliners (my 996 and 955 have them) and ventilated leather (again, both have them). I've been really happy with the leather master's foam cleaner and would buy it again, but hate to just buy off amazon instead of a Rennlist sponsor.
Old 05-19-2015, 11:58 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

I believe Autogeek still sells Leather Masters and they are a sponsor although not nearly as active as Detailers Domain.

For leather I just use Prestine Clean for cleaning and conditioning or distilled water depending on how soiled the surface is.
Old 05-20-2015, 08:33 AM
SC Detailer
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by knfeparty
My leather master's foam cleaner is running a bit low and I noticed that my usual go-to Detailer's Domain no longer stocks it. Is the Sonax leather foam comparable? I need something for suede/alcantara headliners (my 996 and 955 have them) and ventilated leather (again, both have them). I've been really happy with the leather master's foam cleaner and would buy it again, but hate to just buy off amazon instead of a Rennlist sponsor.
For the Alcantara, I would look to a specific product for that. Sonax leather foam cleaner is a good cleaner for leather, and the foaming will keep it from seeping down into the perforated leather seats.

HUMP
Old 05-20-2015, 02:19 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

For Alcantara I have primarily used distilled water and light buff with a microfiber to remove stains. If I get bug splatter (yes it happens in a convertible!) I use a small amount of Griots Interior cleaner and wipe clean with microfiber. So far no discoloration or damage on my dark grey Alcantara seats inserts.

Quick Reply: Leather- testing for colorfastness