Notices

Redcommendations, please to remove minor swirl and water spots.

Old 05-29-2014, 03:57 AM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 440 Likes on 283 Posts
Default Redcommendations, please to remove minor swirl and water spots.

I just ordered a Porter Cable random orbital buffer to remove some paint swirl, water spots, etc. Nothing too serious, but my car is a 2003, Lapis Blue, so it has the "typical" issues you would expect.

I've watched a bunch of Chemical Guys videos and have read a lot of threads, but that was about 6 months ago.

I'm so busy, I just don't have time to hunt down all the good posts again. Could I get some quick recommendations of what product(s) to order to polish up my paint with the Porter Cable?

Thanks!
Attached Images   
Old 05-30-2014, 10:35 AM
KoB
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I use a PC polisher also. I like to use Griot's One Step Sealant on a 5.5" Lake Country orange pad, somewhere around "4" on the speed dial. Seems to get rid of swirls and spots and leaves a nice shine that's fine by itself, or a good base for wax. With the PC you can get a nice, thin, even coat. Let it haze over and it'll come off easily with a microfiber cloth. I use it by itself on my SUV and my wife's TSX, and wax over it on the 996.

There are probably a gazillion other solutions as good or better, but this has worked for me. It won't correct anything too serious -- scratches and whatnot -- but it doesn't sound like you need anything that aggressive.
Old 06-07-2014, 09:13 PM
Chrono
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi Mike. I would have responded earlier, but just saw your post. Have you done any of this work yet? How's it going? I also have the Lapis Blue and have done a full paint correction on it with a DA, so I'll share my thoughts.

If you have swirls, you'll need to commit to two steps of polish (maybe more). For the first step, I used a Lake Country, Flat, 5.5" Orange. On my second polish product, I used a White pad, and I often used an Orange then a White on the second polish phase. A Black pad is optional for putting wax down, but it really saves time and ensures an even coat on the hood, etc.

As far as technique with the DA, watch Junkman's videos on YouTube. He is very verbose and you can skip ahead a lot, but he explains things very well and he's entertaining. Set aside an hour to watch all 4 installments. Search for "How To for Novice to Machine Polishing".

The products I used on my initial paint correction were, in order of use:
  1. Poorboy's World SSR 2.5
  2. Menzerna PF2500 polish
  3. Menzerna FF4000 polish
  4. Collinite 845 wax (lasts months! but use whatever you like)
  5. Collinite 915 wax (optional)
Also have on hand:
  • Isopropyl Alcohol 90% diluted to 10-15%. (as a polish remover to inspect work)
  • Poorboy's World Spray & Wipe (as a panel wipe before & during work, and to spit shine)

You can possibly skip the Poorboy's SSR 2.5. It is a diminishing abrasive polish and took some getting used to. I got my 911 in December, and it came pre-installed with lots of deep swirls, likely from an automatic car wash or just bad washing technique. On these stubborn swirls, I used the SSR2.5, then the two Menzerna polishes, so some panels received a three-step polish. I took my time and did one panel per evening.

A tricky part that I just did today: the rear spoiler (plastic louvers) and deck lid. I used Poorboy's SSR 1, then Poorboy's Professional Polish. It was very tricky to do by machine - I was only able to do about 60% with the DA. I realized before doing this job that those plastic louvers aren't going to get 100% corrected due to accessability, so I bought some Poorboy's Black Hole glaze. After the polishing, I used the glaze, then some Collinite 845, and it's looks fantastic.

Good luck and have fun with it.
Old 06-08-2014, 02:12 PM
Farfelc2s
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Detailing

I did my own Basalt Black TTS w great results.
I used clay 1st. Have tried all kinds of products and these work BEST for me. The Wolfgang sealant stands out from everything else.
Attached Images  
Old 06-08-2014, 02:17 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

There are so many different products out there and many of them are excellent.

I've been using Meguiars 105 and 205 for a few years now with great success. I use 105 with a Griots polishing pad at high speed on a random orbital followed by 205 on a Detailers Domain Blue finishing pad at speed setting 4. I go straight to pinnacle souveran applied by hand after that. No swirls, great depth and incredible gloss.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Redcommendations, please to remove minor swirl and water spots.