Received 49 Likes on 28 Posts

I use it.......
Old 09-14-2013, 05:03 AM
carcster88
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 996Ray
Flat 6-Er,s,

Do any of you use The California Duster? As you all saw from my earlier post, I DD my car and I would like to hit it with the duster every night when I get home. "They" say that the dirtier it gets, the better it works.....not sure I buy that.....don't want to micro scratch my baby!

Any one have any long term experience with the product?

Thanks,
Ray
I have used them since they came out. Never had a problem or scratches with them. Actually, the one I own now is newer than my Porsche.

Before you throw me out of the conversation....I do clay bar, have tried tons of wax and other things over 25 years taking care of cars. I also swear by a wash drying squeegee.

But, with a 2000 Porsche on original paint....I still use nice house towels that **** the wife off, good Meguires was, and a chamois. I never touch
Armor All either...............
Old 09-14-2013, 05:49 AM
paul29
Rennlist Member

You can clean the CD with a bit of Woolite in water and let it sit in a pail, sloshing now and then, rinse in cold water. Not too much Woolite or hot water or too long or it will strip out the wax in the duster. Will clean to approx 80%. The p car puts out a lot of brake dust behind the wheels on the sides and rear, especially on the big rear haunches of the 4's and Turbos due to the vacuum created. The CD will pick this up but gets black in the process. Cleaning the windows with newspaper is fine on the outside, have done it for years, but be careful on the inside, the pcar has leather on the dash etc and the inks on the paper they use today can/will release depending on the type of window cleaner you use, and it really doesn't look good on the luxor beige, IMO.
Old 09-14-2013, 08:04 AM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Light Surface Dust ONLY

To remove light, dry surface dust without causing scratches apply very little surface pressure, use a California Ultimate Premium Car Duster (this duster uses 100% cotton fibres impregnated with paraffin wax to collect dust) this product is like Marmite, you either love or hate it, I've been using them for ten years or more without any paint surface problems (including Concours d’élégance events); having said that it’s all in the method you use.

Or the Zymol® Natural Wool Duster (that uses static to attach the dust to the fibres to assure that dust is lifted and removed, not just pushed around) or long nap micro fibre towel and Optimum ONR (which uses a surfactant to encapsulate the dust and polymers to ensure surface lubrication) to ensure the dust lifted from the paint surface will remain in the nap or fibres and not on the towel surface thereby avoiding surface marring.

Methodology

Using long strokes, maintain very light surface pressure and use in one direction only, this ensures that any dust is removed not just pushed around. Shake the duster occasionally to ensure any particles picked up will drop out rather than come to the surface while you’re using it.

Do not use these methodologies on a wet, damp or hot paint surface (soon after driving) as this will cause streaking?

An extract from a TOGWT® Autopia Detailing Wiki Article - “Removing Dust from a Paint Surface” - http://www.autopia.org/forum/autopia...t-surface.html

TOGWT® Autopia Detailing Wiki Articles, these informational resources contain everything you’ll ever want to know about automotive detailing and are an invaluable addition to your detailing knowledge base -. http://www.autopia.org/forum/autopia...yperlinks.html

Old 09-14-2013, 12:06 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

I've been using the California Dusters since they were introduced back in the early 90's. I replace them every few years instead of trying to clean them. Break in is the toughest part since they do lint initially. But once broken in they work nicely.

No issues with scratching either, even on black!
Old 09-14-2013, 12:35 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

I've used one for over ten years. Ironically the "dirtier" it gets the better it works (definitely prep a new one with the newspaper trick). Also do not use it when the car is hot or in direct sun light (melts the wax).
Old 09-14-2013, 07:58 PM
996Ray
Instructor

Thanks guys! Great info.
Ray
Old 09-14-2013, 08:29 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Hummmmmm. I might need to rethink my reluctance to use one of these.
Old 09-15-2013, 01:08 AM
swordsmn
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by paul29
Cleaning the windows with newspaper is fine on the outside, have done it for years, but be careful on the inside, the pcar has leather on the dash etc and the inks on the paper they use today can/will release depending on the type of window cleaner you use, and it really doesn't look good on the luxor beige, IMO.
Thanks for this caution, i will heed ur advice!
Old 09-16-2013, 07:13 PM
lilredpo
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Love the CD with no issues. I also have a smaller one for the interior as well. Just be careful around the instrument cluster stems ��
Old 10-22-2013, 05:24 PM
DWPC
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I bought a Beverly Hills Duster (I think they were the true "original") at the LA Auto Show around 1989 or 90; it was all black and big; the duster part was about 18-20" long, and it was heavy. It did a fantastic job of lifting loose dust from my cars in between washes for over 20 years. It finally stopped picking up dust a few months back and I regretfully pitched it. There seem to be a number of imitators. I tried a cheap copy from Autozone and it just added red lint to the dust on the car. I'm hoping someone has used both the "California" brand and the old Beverly Hills brand and can vouch for the the Cal duster.

Quick Reply: Anybody use The California Duster?