Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Concours & Car Care (https://rennlist.com/forums/concours-and-car-care-86/)
-   -   Anybody use The California Duster? (https://rennlist.com/forums/concours-and-car-care/776096-anybody-use-the-california-duster.html)

996Ray 09-11-2013 08:41 PM

Anybody use The California Duster?

Flat 6-Er,s,

Do any of you use The California Duster? As you all saw from my earlier post, I DD my car and I would like to hit it with the duster every night when I get home. "They" say that the dirtier it gets, the better it works.....not sure I buy that.....don't want to micro scratch my baby!

Any one have any long term experience with the product? :rockon:

Thanks,
Ray

thedugger1 09-11-2013 09:13 PM

I've had one for almost 20 years! For basic dust it works great. I notice your car is silver as well, you should be good to go, but just don't use it when she's filthy dirty, but I guess that goes without saying!!

Cuda911 09-11-2013 10:41 PM

There's a similar thread on this topic from within the past week.

Anyway, common sense tells me that dry-wiping a car with a grit-filled mop head is just wrong. It only takes a few minutes to use one of those spray waxes and a few clean microfiber cloths, and will do a much better job. That's my $0.02.

EdTexas 09-11-2013 10:42 PM

My driveway is about 1/4 mile, gravel and dust...I don't really have a choice.
I use one every night. Silver car, no ill effects. Just to be safe I replace it pretty frequently.

Mlbraptor 09-11-2013 10:48 PM

My driveway is gravel and dust too; I normally just wash mine off about every 3rd drive.

knfeparty 09-12-2013 08:46 AM

The science behind those is static electricity and for dust that accumulates say, inside your garage, it would be fine. Pollen or fine dirt from being driven would be worse. If you want a time saving quick wash, use Optimum No Rinse. You can use either a bucket of water with a couple microfiber a (no hose necessary) or mix it with distilled water as a quick cleaning spray.

Ubermensch 09-12-2013 08:58 AM

I've used it for year will no ill effects. I primarily use it for pollen in the summer or dust from storage.

Renoir 09-12-2013 09:06 AM

I use one on my '67 Eleanor and my '81 308 as I rarely wash them. I will dust off before each drive and occasionally follow up with a quick detailer.

alpine003 09-12-2013 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by knfeparty (Post 10755258)
The science behind those is static electricity and for dust that accumulates say, inside your garage, it would be fine. Pollen or fine dirt from being driven would be worse. If you want a time saving quick wash, use Optimum No Rinse.

I agree with this. I'll use the duster if there is light dust buildup from sitting in the garage. I use ONR for bucket washes in the winter but have quit from using it as a quick detailed. My goto QD is Ultima Waterless Wash which is a lot more slicker and leaves your surface more smooth.

I have a black car and always carry a few microfiber towels and QD in the frunk. UWW is very economical and effective so I don't feel guilty using it all the time.

My $.02

MiamiC70 09-12-2013 10:21 AM

I use the South Florida quick wash at about 3pm everyday it pours. Dust gone :)

fpena944 09-12-2013 12:16 PM

Mine is garaged but at work and home but during pollen season I use one and do think it does a good job.

drwdds 09-12-2013 05:45 PM

Received a Duster several years ago as a gift and have used it consistently with no ill effects or scratches. Black car, light dust, 2 minute dustoff and car looks like it has just been washed and waxed....big fan!

Capt. Obvious 09-12-2013 07:25 PM

I've had the same duster for about 15 years now and have used it on every car I've ever owned with no visible scratches caused. It only works on light dust and pollen, though. Any dirtier and you'll need quick detailer or an actual wash.

swordsmn 09-12-2013 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by knfeparty (Post 10755258)
The science behind those is static electricity and for dust that accumulates say, inside your garage, it would be fine. Pollen or fine dirt from being driven would be worse. If you want a time saving quick wash, use Optimum No Rinse. You can use either a bucket of water with a couple microfiber a (no hose necessary) or mix it with distilled water as a quick cleaning spray.

Agree ONR is or was a mainstay over at autopia
That said I loved to use a premium spray quick detailer spray on small areas to touch stuff up with good microfiber and the duster (lightly) after a day or two garaged. Gentle is good

By the way have you guys discovered Invisible Glass as a glass cleaner. It's my go to way to do a windshield. I prefer spray over aerosol Finish with real newsprint (crumpled)

I'm new, about to tell seller yes on a 2006 Carerra Coupe...but I spent many hrs detailing lesser vehicles :-)

996Ray 09-12-2013 08:47 PM

Awesome feedback guys - thanks. When it is more than just the days dust, I use Griot's spray on wipe off car wash and I also use his Speed Shine when the car is clean. I like his stuff.

Ray