Notices

Lots of problems with water spots

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 05:21 PM
Cowhorn
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Lots of problems with water spots

I tend to have a lot of problems with water spots and micromarring after a rain with my black cars. After I wash them, the rain spots are still there. They go away fairly easily with either a polish or a cleaner, but I am tired of having to do this extra step every time it rains.

I need a really really good wax or sealant that actually stands up to rain, bird droppings, etc. I have used Rejex, Griot's Best in Show wax, and Zaino Z2 in the past with no success. Rain eats right through all of them.

Any suggestions for a really durable wax/sealant that I could try?
Old 02-12-2013, 08:25 PM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Optimum Polymer Technologies: Optimum Opti-Coat™ crosslink’s and reacts with urethane and other clear coat paints to form an additional barrier between the elements and your vehicle's paint and is based on a resin pre-polymer that uses a configuration of (Si 14) (SiO2 -silica) bond, which are far more resistant to enzymes than the C-C configuration used in polymer sealants.

As a consequent it is more resistant to the acids found in bird and insect excrement, industrial fallout (acid rain, etc) or the alkaline found in road salt. It forms ceramic bonds at very high temperatures and will not be damaged by extreme heat and therefore resists oxidation.

Opti-Coat has better resistance to chemicals (acid), scratches and release properties than other automotive coating currently in use. This coating has a 2-4 µ (microns) applied thickness and a hardness of 9H (Pencil Hardness) when fully cross-linked (90 days) and provides a semi-permanent coating.

Its application is similar to that of a single component Isocyanate that forms a semi-permanent clear coat finish and lasts almost indefinitely. Unlike waxes and paint sealants that require frequent reapplication
Old 02-13-2013, 02:48 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

Sorry to say, nothing is going to eliminate this short of rinsing or washing the rain off before it has a chance to dry. Your problem is the pH of the rain in your area. It doesn't even have to be very acidic. The acidity comes from particulates in the rain. As the water evaporates there's less dilution so acidity rises. A really good wax like Griot's, on a good smooth finish that's regularly clayed and polished will maximize beading and minimize spots, but you'll still get some. Even if its not acid, just the particles in the water or from dust on the paint will leave rings. Anyone promising a miracle solution is blowing smoke up your exhaust pipe.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:16 PM
malexgcab
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone with experience using P21S paintwork cleanser to eliminate water spots?
Old 02-27-2013, 11:16 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by malexgcab
Anyone with experience using P21S paintwork cleanser to eliminate water spots?
If the spots aren't too bad it will work when used with a random orbital buffer and polishing pad.

It's a good product if you want something very mild.

Quick Reply: Lots of problems with water spots