Notices

wiping dust of your car

Old 02-02-2013, 08:32 PM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
Default wiping dust of your car

I waxed my car but its been sitting in the gagrage because i had to go away for work. I want to put the cover on but there is a little dust on it, nothing major. Its cold here in NY to wash it. I dont want to scratch the paint by putting the cover on, is there a way to take the dust off so i can cover it. I have a griots garage cover as well
thanks
Anthony
Old 02-02-2013, 10:46 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

I use the following procedure to clean my car after every drive before putting the cover on.

1. California Duster to remove the bulk of the dust
2. Plush Microfiber and favorite quick detail spray to wipe off any remaining dust/dirt.

I have about 6K miles on the car now and have only washed it with water twice. Absolutely no swirls anywhere on my car and the paint looks better than it left the factory. You can use this method any time of the year.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:19 AM
95_993
Race Car

Received 501 Likes on 344 Posts

^^^ I have seen Afshin's car ^^^ and I can attest it is SPOTLESS.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:42 PM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

thanks for the info
Old 02-03-2013, 01:45 PM
911 Crazy
SPAM addict
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

1) Cali duster
2) Griot's Speed Shine with a CLEAN micro fiber towel.
3) Drive around to show off.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:23 PM
Cowhorn
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Can you wash or clean a California Duster?
Old 02-12-2013, 08:36 PM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Car Duster

The best known brand (California Car Duster) it can be used to remove light dust without causing scratches hold at the end of the 21-inch handle and applying very little surface pressure with the duster, dusting with long strokes in one direction only, the dust is collected by paraffin wax and held in the cotton fibres (the same way a micro fibre cloth works (but without the paraffin wax)

Shake the duster after each pass to ensure any particles picked up will drop out rather than come to the surface while you’re using it. It important to use the duster only for the removal of dry surface dust, if the vehicle has oily road film, road tar, damp pollen or dust, etc the vehicle surface should be washed (or use Optimum No Rinse (ONR) rinse less wash)

Dust build-up-with low humidity conditions friction on the paint surface will cause static electricity (this is exacerbated by the use of polyester (nylon) Micro fibre) resulting in dust attraction to the paint surface.

Rinsing the surface with water or applying a quick detailer (QD) or use the CCD as stated above to remove dust. When the duster is first purchased it should be wrapped in newspaper (48 hours) to remove any excess paraffin wax, the duster should not be washed, the dirtier it gets the better it works (I've been using mine now for almost five years without it being washed) http://www.calcarduster.com/faq.asp

TOGWT® Autopia Detailing Wiki - “Removing Dust from a Paint Surface” - http://www.autopia.org/forum/guide-d...ml#post1450963

If you have any questions about this article or the techniques used, please let me know or feel free to send me a PM

Do not use – on a wet surface (even condensation) as this will cause streaking, or soon after driving; as a hot surface will also cause streaking
Old 02-13-2013, 09:39 AM
Cowhorn
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

^^^Thank you.

How do you store the duster? Do you have to keep it in newspaper or paper bag?
Old 02-13-2013, 02:19 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

The duster comes with it's own case. The has handles and I usually hang it from a hook in my detailing cabinet. The nice thing is that you can bring the duster to shows or keep it in the car if you like since the case will keep the duster clean.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:02 PM
Einsteiger
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 24 Posts

Same as above, but w/o the Cali Duster. I have one - I just like the microfiber/detail spray method. If the dust layer is heavy enough that I can see it, then I'll go with Optimum No-Rinse.
Old 02-15-2013, 01:20 AM
CORSASCHNELL
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used to use a California Duster but I believe few use it nowadays due to scratches it leaves on your paint surface. The principle of it paraffin enriched strands that hold dust particles, well after a few uses you will be moving the stored dust particles all over your paint. I stopped using it years ago.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:56 PM
Einsteiger
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 24 Posts

I think that's why most California dusters end up as wheel dusters. They cannot really be cleaned from what I understand.
Old 02-15-2013, 02:42 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

I typically replace my dusters every few years. The key to avoiding any problems with these dusters is to know when you can and can't use them. If the car has a heavy dust loading or caked on dirt/mud you definitely don't want to use the duster. You also should not use the duster on anything other than the painted body surfaces and glass. Keep the duster away from your wheels (unless its dedicated to wheels) and also keep it away from any dirty surfaces like the garage floor.

I also shake my duster vigorously before and after every use and sometimes during use if the car has more dust than usual. The easiest way to shake them is to place them between both palms of your hands and roll while pointing it up and away from you. On a sunny day you'll see that the dust does go into the air. Shake away from the car and outside of the garage. Another tip is to keep the duster down wind when shaking it so you don't breath it!

Again, I've been using them for years now and haven't had any problems. Your mileage shouldn't vary if you follow these tips
Old 02-15-2013, 02:45 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Another important point. I have found that certain quick detail sprays have antistatic properties which help to keep dusting down. My current favorite is Pinnacle Crystal Mist. Pricey if you buy the small bottle but reasonable if you buy it by the gallon.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:32 AM
hakaida702
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use chemical guys v7 qd/spray sealant and a thick mf towel with a silk edge and fold it into 4ths and change it to a clean portion whenever it gets slightly dirty.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: wiping dust of your car