Notices

Recommended rubber protectant

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 02:47 PM
bcgreen
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Recommended rubber protectant

I understand the rubber seals and trim used on the exterior of old Porsches, such as the rubber around windshields, were not the best and therefore didn't hold up very well unless taken car of.
Any recommendations?

Last edited by bcgreen; 01-26-2013 at 10:46 AM.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:56 AM
TOGWT
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Glass Seals

The seals on automobile are no longer made from natural rubber. Auto manufacturers use a specialized synthetic material called EPDM, (ethylene propylene diene monomer). Natural rubber or blends that contain rubber cannot endure the direct exposure to ultra violet radiation (UV) and oxidation.
Some vehicle manufacturers such as General Motors also recommend a light application of silicone dielectric grease to weather-stripping to reduce noise. EPDM has extremely poor resistance to solvents and oils.

Do not use a cleaner or any chemical product that contains oils or Dimethalsilicone (DMS) usually a clear greasy liquid, which leaves a never-dry gloss film, as most contain petroleum distillate solvents that are that are incompatible with EPDM

Exterior - For dull or faded seals or window mouldings- remove imbedded white stains in vinyl and rubber mouldings; first wipe the mouldings with a multi-purpose cleaner. P21S® Total Auto Wash or 1z Plastik Reiniger (Deep Cleaner) both products are excellent for this task. This removes any wax / polish / silicone debris and dissolves surface stains.

Light scratches – Use Maguire’s ScratchX and a terry cloth towel

Protection - with 1z einszett Vinyl Rubber Care & Potectant "Tiefenpfleger” provides a temperature-resistant seal and a low-shine matte finish Dust-resistant and retards the fading effects of UV rays to keep exterior ‘rubber’ and vinyl looking like new. Apply (every three months) with a micro fibre towel or applicator pad and give the trim a quick once over.

Interior - The soft seals around doors, windows, sunroofs, hood and trunk are constantly being flexed and compressed all the while being subjected to a hostile environment. The inside edge of this gasket is usually felt lined and can/will pick up contaminations (oil / grease) as the window is operated. Be sure to clean the inner gasket edge thoroughly at the same time you're cleaning the guides.

Iz einszett Rubber Care Gummi Pflege Stift - (which translates to rubber maintenance, doesn’t simply buff rubber to look new; it provides real, deep down protection, prolonging the useful life of the seal by restoring the original moisture and resist tearing and sticking

Applications - quick and easy to apply – simply run the sponge applicator along the rubber trim and you're finished.

Last edited by TOGWT; 01-26-2013 at 07:13 AM.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:48 AM
bcgreen
Pro

Is this product Iz eniszett available at local auto stores or on line?
Really enjoyed your write up, thanks.
Old 01-26-2013, 12:47 PM
CT03911
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The P21S mentioned is a superior cleaner. I do all the tough areas with it, engine bay, wheel wells etc. Spray it on, wait five minutes and hose or soft brush the surface clean. Paint and plastic friendly.
Dress the "rubber" with Aerospace 303. Great product that will not seal the surface. It also adds UV protection and a nice satin finish when it dries.
Pretty affordable too.
Old 01-29-2013, 03:04 PM
Einsteiger
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 24 Posts

+1 on 303. Readily available I believe and it works. Good on tires, too.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:31 PM
wasaracer68
Track Day

Interesting post's. So what's the best for the rubber trim on a Carrera tail?
Old 02-04-2013, 10:44 AM
Einsteiger
Racer

If the trim is really bad, I'd use Griot's Garage Rubber Cleaner then their Rubber Prep. Then 303 Aerospace.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:36 PM
hkspwrsche
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Anyone use on seals? designed for the modern rubber seals.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:49 PM
bcgreen
Pro

Originally Posted by Einsteiger
If the trim is really bad, I'd use Griot's Garage Rubber Cleaner then their Rubber Prep. Then 303 Aerospace.
Trim is nice, I just want to keep it that way. It looks like 303, which I have.
Old 02-07-2013, 01:22 PM
Eric C
Intermediate

I use Gummi Pflege Stift, pretty impressive stuff.
Old 02-07-2013, 02:35 PM
Einsteiger
Racer

I forgot I had some of the Einzett Gummi Pfledge stuff. VERY good product, too.

Quick Reply: Recommended rubber protectant